profile 1.0,1.1 and 2.0 argument

Why is it that everytime/most of the time the HD-DVD crowd start to lose an argument they bring up the profile 1.1 and 2.0?
I believe it will turn out to be harder for BD to overcome all the problems created with this "profiling" than it was killing HD... :)

Diogen.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that Sony wants 2.0 with mandatory internet not for additional gee-whiz internet enabled features, but so they can DRM the content even better.

OK I only brought this back to the top because I saw TE's comment while searching for something.

S~

I would like to believe that reguardless of which profile player you have the most important thing is that the movie and sound play without a hitch. If the BDA can get that worked out on their players by this XMAS then I think that most will purchase the profile of player that fits their viewing habits.

Same thing happend with DVD as new features became available including upconverting. Some purchased new players to be able to access newer features while others just decided to stay with the girl they brought to the prom -- so to say.:)

Same thing happend with DVD as new features became available including upconverting. Some purchased new players to be able to access newer features...
DVD was never in a situation similar to BD profiles.
Every single feature on a DVD released today plays on a DVD player released in 1997.
In BD-land, on the other hand, BonusView will never be seen on profile 1.0 players and BD-Live never on anything but profile 2.0...

Diogen.

I have a 1.1 profile player (BD30) and in all honesty even though I own profile 1.1 discs I have never even viewed the PIP or bonus views. I had an HD-A2 and never used the online features such as the harry potter viewing or the online blogging from some films. If I wanna talk about a film that's what the internet is for. I watch the movies for the purpose of watching the movies with good sound and picture and I buy the BDs because I don't want to wait 8-10 hours on xbox live for my download to complete.

I bought into HD DVD, but will eventually buy into Blu Ray. However, I *DO* like having the extra features available. I may not always view them (depending on the movie), but I do like having the OPTION available for if and when I do. I own several HDTVs, so I do not want to buy into pre-2.0 Blu Ray devices and then replace them at a later time. The PS3 is not an option for me as I prefer standalones. Currently, I'll enjoy my HD DVDs and upscaled DVDs until 2.0 becomes a verifiable, stable and

Weird... a "less than" symbol cut off my post -- here's the last portion: ------------------- ... a less than $150 option for standalone Blu Ray. A question for those who say they really only want the movie... If two options were available at the same price - a Blu Ray disk with just the movie, or a Blue Ray disk with the movie, internet features, commentary, trailers, etc. - wouldn't you buy the one with the extra features? Thus, wouldn't you buy a 2.0 player instead of 1.0/1.1 if priced the same? If so, then you shouldn't discount these options, as you may find one day that you might enjoy them on some movie sometime in the future.

DVD was never in a situation similar to BD profiles.
Every single feature on a DVD released today plays on a DVD player released in 1997.
In BD-land, on the other hand, BonusView will never be seen on profile 1.0 players and BD-Live never on anything but profile 2.0...

Diogen.

What about DTS? Most of those early boxes didn't support it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)