Program keeps shutting down on it's own.

sflocco

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
I'm running timetrax for Sirius version 1.4 and for the last couple of hours the program keeps shutting down on it's own. i can't keep it going for man than about thrity seconds before it shuts down. Great on the Eve of the first Stern show I gotta start having problems with this.

Its shutting down because the timetrax software needs to stay in pretty much constant communication with their registration/authentication servers and those servers appear to be down and/or otherwise nonfunctional. I am not a happy camper.

Don't try the beta 1.5 right now, because it won't work either. It'll tell you you've upgraded so it needs to check your registration key, then it'll figure out that it can't because their servers are down and bail out. I'm off to try the TT classic to see if that will get around this constant internet monitor thing, otherwise if their previous server outage(s) are any indication this won't be fixed until some time tomorrow afternoon.

jgaetz said:
Its shutting down because the timetrax software needs to stay in pretty much constant communication with their registration/authentication servers and those servers appear to be down and/or otherwise nonfunctional. I am not a happy camper.

Don't try the beta 1.5 right now, because it won't work either. It'll tell you you've upgraded so it needs to check your registration key, then it'll figure out that it can't because their servers are down and bail out. I'm off to try the TT classic to see if that will get around this constant internet monitor thing, otherwise if their previous server outage(s) are any indication this won't be fixed until some time tomorrow afternoon.

I was able to remove Time Trax Recast 1.5 Beta, install Time Trax Classic 3.2 and I am up and running. So - I will let that go for now - cuz I am XM.

I don't think the Classic supports Sirius - so I think those folks are totally lost.

No sirius in the classic version? That explains the eternal "Initializing" message I'm getting. Feh.

jgaetz said:
Not a happy camper does not even begin to describe it.
Let's just say what's on all our minds. The entire idea of 24/7 internet connection to home servers for some sort of piracy paranoia is absolutely ridiculous. There really isn't a lot to say, and erodes my confidence in the competence of the product, generally.
While that is, in part, frustration at it shutting down all day for me on the eve of the Stern show debut (how many of these things have been sold just to record that?), the same conclusion arises from more dispassionate analysis.
They need a simple four line patch released TONIGHT, that disables that ridiculous requirement to stay connected to their home servers. If not just save face regarding the decision in the first place.
If their home servers impede people recording the Stern Show debut tommorrow morning, the rush of internet abuse they will receive will be amusing. And deserved, since they created the problem entirely themselves.

ChuckNoblett said:
Not a happy camper does not even begin to describe it.
Let's just say what's on all our minds. The entire idea of 24/7 internet connection to home servers for some sort of piracy paranoia is absolutely ridiculous. There really isn't a lot to say, and erodes my confidence in the competence of the product, generally.
While that is, in part, frustration at it shutting down all day for me on the eve of the Stern show debut (how many of these things have been sold just to record that?), the same conclusion arises from more dispassionate analysis.
They need a simple four line patch released TONIGHT, that disables that ridiculous requirement to stay connected to their home servers. If not just save face regarding the decision in the first place.
If their home servers impede people recording the Stern Show debut tommorrow morning, the rush of internet abuse they will receive will be amusing. And deserved, since they created the problem entirely themselves.

I think their servers must be back up because now I'm not having that problem, but I gotta say I'm totally disheartened and disappointed by the fact that their product is completely dependent on their servers being up and running at all times. what if they go down again tonight. I bought this as did others for the sole purpose of being able to listen and record the Stern show in the morning. I also can honestly say that I wouldn't have bought the product if i knew going in that this product's functionality was totally dependent on their servers being up and running. good thing I have a cable modem that's on all the time. plus what if my internet goes down which it does from time to time. It should have stated in the add on their website these things. what if I was still on dialup? I would've gotten this product and then realized that I couldn't use it whenever I wanted. I understand their need to keep this program from being pirated, but they're punishing the honest people that paid for their program and products to keep dishonest people from stealing. I'm a little upset that I listened to MUTT from SFN and fell for this product under these operating conditions. I wonder how much they gave him for his endorsement.

I don't so much care that their servers are down now -- that happens.

The very idea of requiring 24/7 internet connection is simply ridiculous. That its there to addresss piracy paraonia is simply baffling.

A patch needs to remove it immediately.

That would be very simple. No "new version" would be required.

Well, I thought it was me, guess it's everyone. I got this just for stern, no other reason. It sat in the box until today when I decided to set it up (I did test it when I first got it last month). First, the software is very buggy, much worse then I could have thought. Tried it on two systems, the second being a fresh XP install with nothing but antivirus/spyware protection on it. I had everything set for tomorrow's big event, and I left the software on all night. I check it at 230am just to make sure it's fine, guess what, I hear nothing. Try to shut it and I get error 91 or 92, something like that. Restart PC, try software, all I get is waiting for channel load. Well, to be honest, if I miss tomorrow's broadcast, and this is going to be a regular thing, they will be getting a letter from my lawyer suggesting they refund my money and take this thing back, what a waste. I never knew it would be dependant on their servers and they don't have 100% uptime, that was never told up front.

Erik

At Wits End With This Unit And Software

:mad: THANK HEAVEN I SET MY ALARM FOR 5 AM, tho I did go to bed at midnight knowing that the unit locked up then from a full day of testing. Now what I am getting (after about a minute of the unit saying it found the unit on port 3) Comes up a window saying "Error Connecting to radio" [An error has occured attempting to connect to your satellite radio. Is it connected? Is it turned on? Do you have any other satellite radio applications running at the same time? Check the connections and try again]
WELL HERE ARE MY ANSWERS TO THAT POPUP BOX:
Is it connected? YOU BET IT IS
Is it turned on? DUH, YES
Do you have any other satellite radio applications running at the same time? NO, BUT I SURE WISH I DID CAUSE I WOULD THROW THIS UNIT OUT THE WINDOW IF I DID RIGHT ABOUT NOW
Check the connections and try again.. ALL CONNECTION SOLID AS CAN BE AND I TRIED AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN.http://www.howardstern.com and get the schedule.
TT...YOU SEE THIS LINK. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE SOLD SO MANY UNITS OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS, BUT INSTEAD OF GETTING OUR SUGGESTION SUBMITTED (LIKE THE STUPID INTERNET AUTHENTICATION, YOUR AT CES SHOWING OFF THE NEXT LINE OF GOODIES. WELL THERE WON'T BE A BASE FOR THAT LINE IF YOU DON'T INVEST SOME OF "THOSE STERN PROFITS" !protest AND HIRE SOME MORE PROGRAMMERS. Luckily I have the sportster (thanks for coming out with a unit in april which will work with it :( ) that i have fed the line out into my sound card and today (i hope only today) I will be recording a big ass wav file.
IT'S IN YOUR COURT TT. FIX IT TODAY OR YOU WILL HAVE SOME REAL UNHAPPY CAMPERS. THERE IS AN OLD SALES STATEMENT: IF YOUR HAPPY WITH A PRODUCT YOU WILL TELL 1-3 PEOPLE. IF YOU ARE NOT YOU WILL TELL 10 PEOPLE. I WAS THE GUINEY PIG TO TEST THIS UNIT FOR A GROUP OF PEOPLE IN MY COMPANY THAT ARE HUGE STERN FANS....WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO TELL THEM, WHAT DO YOU THINK I CAN TELL THEM. ENUF SAID. STERN IS ON

I guess I should have given a smiley after my statement for the sarcastically challenged.

Last edited:
Last night, the program would run for about 1 hour, then close down completely (operating system remained operating normally). Started it up again at 11pm, and it ran for about another hour and it closed down again...of course I didn't discover this until this morning (same condition, Windows 2000 running fine). I restarted it in debug mode this time for what ever it is worth.

THIS is what your customers are describing as being unreliable for recording. Other than having a nice interface and logging the tracks, the program is not valuable unless it can be depended upon to record what it has been set up to record. The XM2GO can record reliably for 5 hours, merrily logging the tracks as you drive down the highway. This should not be that tough of a request, to have similar functionality for your product. Anything that can improve Recast's recording reliability should be put to the forefront in your development. The bells and whistles are useless if you can't get the thing to stay in record. After all, isn't this the fundamental task that it is designed for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)