Program to edit TS format video from DVR on a PC?

fyretech

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
USA
From my research I have seen that there are 2 options to edit TS video files: iSkySoft and VideoReDo. Both of these have to be purchased. Are there any free tools that will do this?

converting .ts files

I just installed Win7 on my computer at home. By doing so, I lost my free Roxio Creator 9 that came with the computer. I just ordered Roxio Creator 2011 and the sales people say it will convert .ts files to other usual formats. I will install that in a few days. I hope it works. If so, I don't need the expensive programs mentioned here.

I contacted VideoReDo and he called me and assured me his 100 dollar program will do everything but brush my teeth.

Win 7 had a few hiccups, but now I am quite satisfied. Hope never to deal with Vista again on here.

I just installed Win7 on my computer at home. By doing so, I lost my free Roxio Creator 9 that came with the computer. I just ordered Roxio Creator 2011 and the sales people say it will convert .ts files to other usual formats. I will install that in a few days. I hope it works. If so, I don't need the expensive programs mentioned here.

I contacted VideoReDo and he called me and assured me his 100 dollar program will do everything but brush my teeth.

Win 7 had a few hiccups, but now I am quite satisfied. Hope never to deal with Vista again on here.

The two programs I posted are free and work well at converting TS files.

Yes, I downloaded Freemake. I converted a couple files (didn't have my 1100c hard drive) from flv to wmv and burned to a dvd. It wouldn't play in my dvd player. I'll keep working with it some.

Thanks

When I try to edit in Freemake, the second window opens and closes down the whole thing.

The iWisoft one was capable of editing, but the output was choppy and the aspect ratio changed - playback on PC. I just used the HD-mpeg2profile, not sure which one to use. I will play with it some more.

If you know how to edit TS can you provide a step by step. I want to be able to playback on the DVR and PC. DVD burning would be secondary.

Thanks

edit:
I just played it in media player classic and there is no chopiness. So I'm fine with that. However when I use iWisoft to convert TS, the 'keep original' zoom setting shows as 352x480, which is the same look as 'letter box'. If I use any other zoom ratio it uses converts it nice it just adds a huge black area around the original picture when I playback. This happens regardless of profile chosen - even ts.

Last edited:
Try this setting in Media Player Classic-- See the picture

Attachments

• mpc.jpg
    mpc.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 271
However when I use iWisoft to convert TS, the 'keep original' zoom setting shows as 352x480, which is the same look as 'letter box'. If I use any other zoom ratio it uses converts it nice it just adds a huge black area around the original picture when I playback. This happens regardless of profile chosen - even ts.

I was able to get it corrected by moving the box that the arrow is pointing to in the picture. Also as it shows in the 2nd picture set the zoom setting to "Full Screen"

Attachments

• iWisoft.jpg
    iWisoft.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 289
  • iWisoft2.jpg
    iWisoft2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
That - stretching in MPC worked! So playback in MPC is fine, but I don't think that will work for playback on a 4:3 TV, I will have to test that.
I figured out that I was converting in the HD profile and that was causing the black border due to the greater resolution in conversion. I switched to common video and the black border is smaller, but it still isn't gone. I don't understand why it shows the original as 352x480, when it looks 4:3 on TV. So that means I will have to down convert the resolution to 352x288 which is a shame. This is in reference to ADtv.

See my last post I updated it-- but yes I have several recording from ADtv and have the same problem 352x480 is an odd aspect ratio. I was able to correct it by setting the zoom setting to "Full Screen" in iWisoft

OK, that works. So to get rid of the black border, I have to drag the dotted box, or change the parameters as follows in edit mode: full screen zoom, left 16, top 4, 320x476. I converted to HD mpeg2 640x480 (which is lowest), and hopefully most compatible. So MPC player full screen stretched is perfect this way.
What is your optimum setup for conversion for TV viewing (Vs PC)?

When I play the unedited file in MPC, it plays with a black bar on each side. On TV (4:3) playback via DVR IT is normal - no black bars. My concern is if I edit out the black bars, I may loose part of the picture on the TV. I will have to test this out.

The source file states properties of: Video: MPEG2 Video 352x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 15000Kbps [Video]

To keep it in the original ts format I need to just select 'full screen' like said previously, and it has the black bars on the side, and a slight black line on the top - identical to the original. I will test this also. The big downside to this is that instead of a 1gb for an hour of ts video it's now 5gb. I looked at the DVR manual and didn't see what all video playback is supported, then I wouldn't need to keep it in ts format.

My understanding is not to copy anything to the DVR drive because that can corrupt it? So I would need to get another drive to playback edited files?

Last edited:
What is your optimum setup for conversion for TV viewing (Vs PC)? ?

I believe 640x480 is standard 4:3

The big downside to this is that instead of a 1gb for an hour of ts video it's now 5gb.

You should be able get a much smaller file size when converting by adjusting the parameters. I was able to get the 3 hour documentary from ADtv which was 2.5 gb down to 1 gb with excellent picture quality

My understanding is not to copy anything to the DVR drive because that can corrupt it? So I would need to get another drive to playback edited files?

I have not found that the case with my set up-- I have taken the video from the DVR drive edited out the commercials and renamed it and copied the edited video file back the the DVR drive and it worked with no problems--but that might not work for every one

Can you please share what the parameters were that you used to go from 2.5gb to 1gb.

Thanks

Here are the parameters.

Complete name : D:\Videos\Secret Mysteries of America's Beginnings - Volume 1 - The New Atlantis (2006).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 1 010 MiB
Duration : 2h 45mn
Overall bit rate : 854 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf52.77.0

Video
ID : 0
Format : xvid
Codec ID : xvid
Bit rate : 744 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.081
Stream size : 880 MiB (87%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 114 MiB (11%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.72 video frame)

I did another dvd burn in FreeMake. It was a youtube file downloaded into realplayer in higher resolution. It played in my dvd player and looked great! And for another one, I just clicked on a bunch of avi video clips from my camera and they all burned and play well. Still no .ts file conversion, but will try it when I bring the 1100c hdd home or when I load Win7 on the other Dell computer.

:)

I just bought a Western Digital Media Player and I was amazed to find it runs the .ts files with ease, no more worrying about converting for me.....

That makes sense with xvid avi. I thought you were saying you got it down from 2.5gb to 1gb and kept it in TS format. I tried mp4 common video and it seems slightly slow motion/jagged. I will try it in xvid. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts