Program to edit TS format video from DVR on a PC?

random ramblings of SantAnole

Wow, you guys are just scratching the surface of a subject that deserves its own forum to properly address! - :)

It appears that the "edit and return to the receiver for playback" matter has been dealt with.

However, playing back the video on your computer and making actual working DVDs are two totally different problems!

Since various FTA stations can use different video formats, you first need to know what you are dealing with.
And in any discussions, ya really need to make that format clear.
Here's a free utility, MediaInfo, which will do the job in spades.

One free video player which will playback most everything, regardless, is VLC.
If VLC won't play it, you've got a real problem. ;)
Whether any given format will display properly in another player is a problem for that player.

As to making a disc your DVD player will handle...
Proper DVDs are mpeg and can be in a few valid formats.
I don't recall all the details right off, but 720x480, 702x480, 544x480, 354x480, sound right.
640x480 wasn't one of the supported modes (as I recall), and discs I made like that didn't play.

Now, along comes a crop of nice DivX-capable DVD players, and more recently, things like Samsung blu-ray players.
They'll digest a multitude of odd formats and codecs!
If you have one of those, it might play back everything you throw at it, even though your Grandmaws DVD player would barf on the disc!

Personally, I have a Philips DVP5990 player, which is quite flexible.
However, the raw material I play on it, isn't suitable for exchanging with most folks.

Still on the subject of authoring DVDs, there are a number of free utility programs.
Back before VideoReDo did authoring, they were discussed at length on the VRD forum.
If you give a search there, I'm sure you can see what people liked.
At the time, I was using DVD Labs Pro, but it was a moderately expensive, semi-pro authoring suite.
While it did an outstanding job, I won't recommend it here when much less would be just fine. - :D

Another authoring solution might be your copy of Windows.
On a laptop I bought a couple of years ago, it's got Vista Media Center, and also a couple of DVD-making utilities.
I think that's all included in Windows Vista Home Premium.
It'll take a 7gb one hour network show that it's recorded, and make a proper DVD from the source.
I happen to edit the HD source with VideoReDo first, but that's not necessary.
The utility down-converts, makes everything proper, and burns the disc.
Just another option to consider.

This won't edit, and it won't author, but if you should need to change video format for some reason, maybe make a different sort of audio stream, then SUPER is a real Swiss Army knife that's free.
I almost hate to bring it up, because you'll probably want it for the most simple of jobs, and it's quite a monster! - :eek:

One last utility I use is ConvertXtoDVD.
It's not free, so I don't give a link, but it pretty well automates the process of making anything into a real DVD.
It's so simple, a 5-year old could do it. (or a caveman)... (or maybe even a lizard!) - :cool:

Thanks for your input Anole.

I have gotten some pretty good Video editing software from Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. they give away FREE licensed software you’d have to buy otherwise!
They give you 24 hours to download and install the programs but once downloaded you can use it forever for free.. the only catch is you can not reinstall past the 24 hour period. If you ever need to reinstall you have to wait until the next time it is offered for free again.

Thanks Gary, the header explanation makes sense. I did find a nice program that cuts TS - mpg2cut2, but evidently it doesn't insert the special header because it doesn't work on the dvr, it keeps saying 'wrong file' when trying to play it.

Thanks Gary, the header explanation makes sense. I did find a nice program that cuts TS - mpg2cut2, but evidently it doesn't insert the special header because it doesn't work on the dvr, it keeps saying 'wrong file' when trying to play it.

It should not to be too hard to write a small program that will insert the GeoSATPro/Conaxsat header in a TS file edited by Freemake. If I knew how I would.

The "edit and return to the receiver for playback" matter has only been resolved with VRD, but not using other software.

I guess the first step in the process would be to identify the header, copy it and then insert it into the right place. Even if it wouldn't be automated via a program to insert it, if there were a manual way to manipulate the header that would solve the issue.

The "edit and return to the receiver for playback" matter has only been resolved with VRD, but not using other software.

I guess the first step in the process would be to identify the header, copy it and then insert it into the right place. Even if it wouldn't be automated via a program to insert it, if there were a manual way to manipulate the header that would solve the issue.

The header must be embedded in the TS file but I have no clue as to what it looks like or how to find it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts