PS4 Owners Thread

Those things don't make a game "good" but I'd argue that 60 FPS is definitely better than 30 FPS. 60 FPS basically means better gameplay, which in my mind is paramount over better visuals. Hell, there are NES games that ran at 60 FPS.

The funny thing is that as far as publishers are concerned, the FPS thing goes both ways. If they can pull it off, like in the Master Chief Collection, the publisher is like, "Look! 60 FPS! This game is so much better now!" If they CAN'T pull it off, then they'll either say, "Well, we want to game to look the best that it possibly can!" (Naughty Dog) or "30 FPS is just more 'cinematic' (Ubisoft). Personally I'd prefer Uncharted 4 sacrifice some visual fidelity in order to get a 60 FPS experience, but that's just me. And Naughty Dog can't act like 60 FPS isn't a selling point. It was a predominant selling point of The Last of Us Remastered and basically every reviewer said the game was more fun at 60 as opposed to 30 FPS.

All else equal 60FPS is clearly better than 30FPS. When you are remastering a PS3 game like TLoU being able to put a quantifiable reason to buy it like 1080p/60 on the box is important.

There is a definite tradeoff between visuals and framerate though. Any PC gamer can tell you that. The more settings you turn down/off the higher the framerate goes. It works the same way on PS4 only those settings are controlled by the developer instead of individual users.

It's up to each developer to decide whether the best possible visuals or 60 frames per second is more important. I'll take better graphics at 30FPS for most games as long as that 30 FPS is consistent with no slowdown. 30FPS just doesn't bother me as long as it's smooth. It's games like the Mass Effect series on PS3 and Tell Tale games that dip well below 30FPS whenever anything big happens that bother me.

Reactions: Zookster
I'm really really new to the gaming world. Got a ps4 the beginning of last month. Have far cry 4, need for speed rivals & call of duty advanced warfare.

So far it has been a lot of fun. The hardest part is learning the controls. Every time I play it gets a little easier. Need for speed is really tuff with the controls.

Prefer the offline mode, the few online games I tried just got me flat out annihilated. When I get better that may be fun to do.

Call of duty playing role of "Mitchell" is a blast, getting much better on it. Still on recruit, after this campaign I up the difficulty.

I'm really really new to the gaming world. Got a ps4 the beginning of last month. Have far cry 4, need for speed rivals & call of duty advanced warfare.

So far it has been a lot of fun. The hardest part is learning the controls. Every time I play it gets a little easier. Need for speed is really tuff with the controls.

Prefer the offline mode, the few online games I tried just got me flat out annihilated. When I get better that may be fun to do.

Call of duty playing role of "Mitchell" is a blast, getting much better on it. Still on recruit, after this campaign I up the difficulty.

Being completely new to gaming seven years ago at the ripe old age of 40, I would say don't get discouraged about getting annihilated in online MP modes. Once you learn the controls, you are still going up against people who have 10-15 years of experience on you, likely having played previous games in the series for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I still haven't quite mastered aiming at and shooting an enemy head while it's moving 50+ feet away while I myself am moving (which is what some of the better players seem to do with ease). Not to mention, people who have been playing any particular game for any length of time know all the maps and strategies and have unlocked the better weapons, gear, and perks. In other words, you literally have no chance when first starting out, as these games aren't designed for casual n00bs no matter how the matchmaking system tries to balance things.

With that said, FC4 would be a good game for starting out, at least the SP. You can set the difficulty to easy, checkpoints are generous, overpowered weapons are available relatively early in the campaign, and you can quickly grind XP by killing just about anything to upgrade your skills before taking on tougher story missions/enemies. Just don't get discouraged by the frequent wild animal attacks, which can often kill you with just two bites in the beginning until you earn more health. It's a fun massive open world with lots to do and explore.

It was announced at E3 last year that both the full length feature film, set for theatrical release, and the PS4 game will re-imagine (i.e., reboot) the original Ratchet & Clank game. Fortunately the original voice actors and writer are all involved. Still no word on a release date, however, as "first half of 2015" is starting to look doubtful.

Reactions: stardust3
Anyone picking up The Order? Full play through on YouTube clocks in a 5 hours. Stop and smell the roses pace pushes the time closer to double digits.

I'll probably play it at some point but I'm not going to buy it for $60. That seems like a good gamefly rental.

Anyone picking up The Order? Full play through on YouTube clocks in a 5 hours. Stop and smell the roses pace pushes the time closer to double digits.

I'm not a renter, but that sounds like a rental even for me. Going for all 22 trophies shouldn't take more than 15 hours tops either. Only stopping to sniff around for collectibles will take extra time it appears. That's crazy when you consider some other very easy games like Far Cry 4 and any LEGO game takes 40-50 hours.

The review embargo has been lifted for "The Order: 1886." Reviews are pretty mixed, skewing more towards the negative. The overriding theme seems to be that it looks absolutely beautiful, but there's very little in terms of an actual game, and the story isn't that great either. Good thing I have it just for a rental.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2wfblc/the_order_1886_review_thread/

A couple of reviewers have called this the "PS4's Ryse." Thing is, such a title would be expected at launch, not well over a year after the console was released..

Last edited:
The review embargo has been lifted for "The Order: 1886." Reviews are pretty mixed, skewing more towards the negative. The overriding theme seems to be that it looks absolutely beautiful, but there's very little in terms of an actual game, and the story isn't that great either. Good thing I have it just for a rental.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2wfblc/the_order_1886_review_thread/

A couple of reviewers have called this the "PS4's Ryse." Thing is, such a title would be expected at launch, not well over a year after the console was released..

That's disappointing. I have always appreciated Sony's approach towards exclusives that are single player orientated. I still really liked Halo and Gears but in general I have preferred Sony's exclusives. Here's where the value proposition comes in though... Even if you didn't like Halo's campaign you could still spend 100+ hours in multiplayer.

I'm not saying that multiplayer should be shoehorned into every game. If you they are going to ask $60 for a game people will likely play through once and be done with it better be great though. That's especially true for something that's 5-6 hours long. I am fine with the idea of buying Uncharted, inFamous, The Last of Us, or God of War. I'm not okay with buying this for more than $20 and even that might be a stretch.

My local Family Video rents PS4 and Xbox One games. I may stop in there tomorrow during my lunch break and see how their game renting works. If I can get it for the weekend for around $10 I'll probably do that and just power through the game. If not I might just wait for PS Plus to get it. If this sells really poorly that might not take as long as normal.

I stopped at Family Video today. Both of their copies of The Order were gone before I got there but I did find out the rental prices. For new release games it's $3 for 1 night, $5 for 3 nights, or $7 for 5 nights. If you do 5 nights you also get a free new release movie rental. Older games are the same prices but they are rent 1 get one free.

For a short game like The Order that you can beat in a weekend, $5 for 3 nights would be perfect. I actually probably would have taken the 5 days and a new release blu-ray rental for $7. For kids who don't have any money but tons of time those 5 day rentals would be great. They could probably beat 20ish hour games in that time. For me it's not realistic for anything except for extremely short games like The Order.

I stopped at Family Video today. Both of their copies of The Order were gone before I got there but I did find out the rental prices. For new release games it's $3 for 1 night, $5 for 3 nights, or $7 for 5 nights. If you do 5 nights you also get a free new release movie rental. Older games are the same prices but they are rent 1 get one free.

For a short game like The Order that you can beat in a weekend, $5 for 3 nights would be perfect. I actually probably would have taken the 5 days and a new release blu-ray rental for $7. For kids who don't have any money but tons of time those 5 day rentals would be great. They could probably beat 20ish hour games in that time. For me it's not realistic for anything except for extremely short games like The Order.

Those rental prices are insane! When I first started gaming in 2007, I checked out renting at Blockbuster, which had as many storefronts in my neighborhood as Starbucks at the time, and their prices (if I remember correctly) were like $15 for a 5 or 7-day rental. I actually looked into Redboxing The Order this weekend, but the local kiosks had a very poor selection of older games. Maybe in a couple of months I'll check again.

Those rental prices are insane! When I first started gaming in 2007, I checked out renting at Blockbuster, which had as many storefronts in my neighborhood as Starbucks at the time, and their prices (if I remember correctly) were like $15 for a 5 or 7-day rental. I actually looked into Redboxing The Order this weekend, but the local kiosks had a very poor selection of older games. Maybe in a couple of months I'll check again.

Yeah, the Redbox around me still only carries PS3, 360, and Wii games so that isn't an option.

Hmmmm... looking like the 2 year delayed free version of DriveClub may never happen...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/23/8089827/driverclub-free-version-playstation-plus

It was part of a longer, rather berating interview done by The Metro. While I agree with the interviewer pushing in the interview, at times it almost gets uncomfortable or facetious, like suggesting Sony levy fines against developers that ship out broken games. Yeah, that'll happen.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/23/ps4-b...ul-lot-from-the-driveclub-experience-5074388/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)