PS4 Owners Thread

Many features coming with the PS4 3.00 firmware, including Youtube streaming support, file storage upgrade from 1GB to 10GB among others.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...are-3-00-features-detailed-beta-starts-today/

If CD support isn't happening with this big update, almost two years since launch, it's safe to assume it's never going to happen. Still holding out hope for blu-ray or universal remote support. Sad to think that at this stage in the PS4 life-cycle, if my PS3 and PS4 both died today, I'd be replacing my PS3 first.

If CD support isn't happening with this big update, almost two years since launch, it's safe to assume it's never going to happen. Still holding out hope for blu-ray or universal remote support. Sad to think that at this stage in the PS4 life-cycle, if my PS3 and PS4 both died today, I'd be replacing my PS3 first.

..Blu Ray support? The PS4 doesn't play Blu Rays?

It does play blu-rays. I remember testing that when I first got mine. I'm guessing he meant to say 3D blu-rays. As far as I know that still doesn't work on PS4 even though PS3 was one of the first players to support it.

Outside of some initial testing I never use my PS4 for blu-rays. The PS3 is a better blu-ray player than the PS4 because it supports 3D and it can be controlled by a harmony remote instead of a controller.

I always use my Xbox One for blu-rays because it can be controlled by my harmony remote and the voice controls are nice from time to time. It didn't support 3D playback at launch either but it does now. I can't remember the last time I used it for 3D but I know I have done it at some point.

The only part I like better about the PS4 for blu-ray playback is that you can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA HD audio directly to your audio receiver and let it do the decoding. The Xbox One insists on decoding everything and sending it to your audio receiver as uncompressed PCM audio. Microsoft does this because it's the only way they can mix their own sound effects in for things like button presses and notifications. Snapping a blu-ray while you play a game would also not be possible if you wanted audio from both sources without the Xbox doing the decoding.

In reality, what Microsoft does isn't actually hurting anything. The audio quality should be identical whether you have the Xbox One or your audio receiver decode it. Some of us audio nerds just like seeing the audio format displayed on our audio receivers instead of "MULTICH." This "downside" to using the Xbox One as a blu-ray player isn't enough to make me use the PS4 instead.

Last edited:
If CD support isn't happening with this big update, almost two years since launch, it's safe to assume it's never going to happen.

It's clear that this isn't a priority or it would have been done by now. You are probably right in assuming it's never coming.

We are living in the streaming age now. Even playing music stored locally on an phone or your computer is kind of old fashioned now. I still do it from time to time but I get the feeling that most people use a streaming service like Spotify, Apple Music, or Pandora now.

Even vehicles are starting to phase them out. One of my friends just bought a fully loaded 2015 Dodge Ram. We are talking big touch screen, satellite radio, leather seats, crew cab, backup camera, basically everything. I was kind of shocked to see that it doesn't have a CD player. Instead it has USB ports all over the place to plug a phone in and play your music that way.

Although I said I was shocked I guess it really shouldn't be that surprising. I have been driving a 2014 Cruze for a little over a year and I don't think I've ever put a CD in its player. I listen to satellite radio or podcasts from my phone over bluetooth when I drive.

Cars have been phasing out CD players for quite a while

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ca...ter-fuel-efficient-vehicles-article-1.1079834

The only thing I use my CD player for is to act as a mount for my satellite radio and cell phone. I use this one.

I understand the idea that CDs are being phased out in favor of streaming and digital files, but it's still a little odd that an optical drive based system can't play a CD. I don't care how old the technology is, you still expect it to run. Maybe that's why they also phased out PS1 compatibility with the PS4, although the digital versions should still work. I wasn't even aware that the PS4 STILL couldn't do 3D Blu Rays. That's actually good to know because my PS4 is hooked up to my 3D TV. Granted it's almost never been used.

Most formats require a license cost, CD audio playback included. That's why it will probably not be added, the ROI isn't there.

That's also the reason that the PS4 requires blu-ray activation before it will play movies and the Xbox One requires you to download a blu-ray app. Neither console has blu-ray support activated by default because they know they can save themselves money by only paying the licensing fee for people who actually put in a blu-ray movie. Their numbers must have shown them that a decent chunk of owners will never use it.

That's also the reason that the PS4 requires blu-ray activation before it will play movies and the Xbox One requires you to download a blu-ray app. Neither console has blu-ray support activated by default because they know they can save themselves money by only paying the licensing fee for people who actually put in a blu-ray movie. Their numbers must have shown them that a decent chunk of owners will never use it.
Wait.. Sony needs to pay a licensing fee to use their own proprietary technology?

..Blu Ray support? The PS4 doesn't play Blu Rays?

Sorry for my confusing wording. I meant a remote for blu-ray playback, like the one I use on my PS3. I often see it referred to as a blu-ray remote in other forums. It's of course technically a bluetooth remote.

Most formats require a license cost, CD audio playback included. That's why it will probably not be added, the ROI isn't there.

I disagree that that's the main reason. Licensing fees didn't stop Sony from enabling my $80 smart blu-ray player I bought the same year as the PS4 came out to play CDs. Nor does it stop manufacturers of $25 DVD players to allow CD playback. As yourbeliefs mentioned, you would still expect an optical disc drive to play one of the most ubiquitous and low-tech incarnations of disc media.

I think it was more to do with Sony not wanting to put time and money into developing an app that would allow the PS4 to do some of the things the PS3 did with CDs, including ripping CDs, downloading/saving disc info from the Internet, organizing ripped media, creating playlists, and the various playback functions (repeat, shuffle, etc.). There are also of course the various paid subscription music services Sony has been pushing.

I personally would be happy if I could simply put a disc in, see an generic CD icon appear in my navigation menu, and hit play.

Should have figured. They were just the main driving force. Ahhh, remember the HDDVD vs Blu Ray battles?

One of my college roommates was a big film buff but not really a gamer. He went out and bought the HD DVD add-on to use on my 360 even though he didn't have his own because he was convinced that was the format that would win. That obviously didn't turn out to be a very good investment even though we lived together for 4 years so he had access to my 360.

I'm sure he still has the add-on and his HD DVDs lying around somewhere even though he can't use them.

There are also of course the various paid subscription music services Sony has been pushing.
That's probably the main driver for it's absence. They had to concede with DLNA because they'd never get away with pulling away such a popular feature from the PS3. And to be fair, as far as that goes, the PS4's DLNA works MUCH better than the One does with my Plex server. The One requires that I snap their media player app and switching back and forth is very unintuitive and often times it just won't play my standard music files sometimes. The PS4 works with EVERYTHING and works as a background process, and the music in games is automatically muted.

That's probably the main driver for it's absence. They had to concede with DLNA because they'd never get away with pulling away such a popular feature from the PS3. And to be fair, as far as that goes, the PS4's DLNA works MUCH better than the One does with my Plex server. The One requires that I snap their media player app and switching back and forth is very unintuitive and often times it just won't play my standard music files sometimes. The PS4 works with EVERYTHING and works as a background process, and the music in games is automatically muted.

I'll have to try that sometime. I used to play my own music in the background all the time on my 360 while I was playing things like online shooters. I even played my own music ripped to the original Xbox's hard drive while I played Counterstrike. It was disappointing to lose that feature when I started playing most of my games on PS3 since my launch 360 was on it's last legs

I don't do it on Xbox One because I don't want my game window shrunk just so I can see the name of the song I'm listening to. It doesn't make sense that they require it to be snapped to use it while you are playing a game.I would be using it while I play Destiny right now if the Xbox One worked in the background.

I never use it while I play PS4 because I just never thought to try it. It would have been nice for games like Rocket League where there is no story to listen to anyways.

So this is the Japanese commercial for Tearaway for the PS4..

If that song isn't stuck in your head afterwards you deserve a medal.

I bet it's one disc. If Microsoft can fit all 4 Halo games into one disc for the Master Chief Collection Naughty Dog should be able to fit 3 9 hour campaigns onto one disc. To be fair, there was a 10-15GB day one patch to grab some of the multiplayer content that wouldn't fit. We are talking about 4 campaigns and over 100 multiplayer maps in that collection though.

My guess is that they just didn't bother compressing much on Uncharted 1 because they had an entire blu-ray disc to work with.

Edit: It won't really make a difference to me anyways since I buy just about everything digitally. Only way I'll end up with a retail copy is if there is some great Black Friday deal or something.

You are correct, sir. The Uncharted Collection is all on one disc, using some advanced compression sorcery apparently. ;)
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/09...ake-collection-on-ps4-comes-in-a-single-disk/

Reactions: king3pj

This video is from the Twitch stream Naughty Dog was doing today to promote The Uncharted Collection. One of the guys from Naughty Dog slipped up and mentioned something about "the first Last of Us game." He then acted a little flustered and said it about 4 more times before simply saying The Last of Us.

Fans are taking this as confirmation that TLoU 2 is being worked on. I wouldn't quite call it confirmation but it does seem likely.

To be fair it's not like we really needed confirmation to know that there would be another Last of Us game. IGN did a little write up about it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...nt page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Spotlight