PS4 Owners Thread

That's another thing too: To take advantage of this new technology people need to buy brand new 4K tvs. I don't see myself doing that ANYTIME in the near future unless all 3 of my current HDTVs die soon.

That's another thing too: To take advantage of this new technology people need to buy brand new 4K tvs. I don't see myself doing that ANYTIME in the near future unless all 3 of my current HDTVs die soon.

I'm not in a rush for 4K either. 1080p already looks good enough for my TV watching purposes.

I have found myself wanting something bigger than my 46 inch TV from 2010 lately. That size is fine for watching TV but after getting used to playing PC games on a 27" 1440p monitor up close at a desk a 46" TV from the couch across the living room is starting to feel pretty small. Combine that with my eyesight getting worse as I get older and this creates a problem with me not seeing enemies in the background as quickly as I used to.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying a 55-60" 1080p TV because the prices have plummeted as 4K gets more popular. I'm planning to wait at least until next year's 4K TVs comes out to see if the prices are any better before buying anything though.

Tough week continues... Sony has decided to not allow mods in Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
From Sony's standpoint I can see why. It's pretty easy to see how a user mod could be used to bypass the piracy protections built into the PS4. It's the reason Linux was removed from the PS3.

From Sony's standpoint I can see why. It's pretty easy to see how a user mod could be used to bypass the piracy protections built into the PS4. It's the reason Linux was removed from the PS3.

You'd think though that that would be finalized before they announced it was coming. I also don't think that you could use mods to compromise system integrity and piracy. If it was that likely then I don't know why Microsoft would allow them on the One. It may have been a system architecture issue.

Won't most TV's upconvert the signal on their own?

I can see the want for a console to display the resolution natively. But not for one to upconvert when the tv will do that on it's own.

Won't most TV's upconvert the signal on their own?

I can see the want for a console to display the resolution natively. But not for one to upconvert when the tv will do that on it's own.

I think all modern TVs upconvert on their own. That's true whether you are watching 720p content on a 1080p screen or 1080p content on a 4K screen. As I understand it a screen can't physically change it's resolution. A 4K TV always has 3860x2160 pixels to fill in. Any content that doesn't match that resolution has to be scaled to fill those pixels or have black bars to fill up the missing space. The question comes down to whether the PS4 Pro or a given 4K TV will do a better job of scaling. My guess is that either would probably be fine.

There are still some benefits that might make the same game look better on a PS4 Pro upscaling internally than a standard PS4 or PS4 slim letting a 4K TV do the upscaling. The obvious benefit is that the PS4 Pro is about twice as powerful and developers are allowed to turn on additional graphics settings on the PS4 Pro that a PS4 or Slim isn't capable of running.

The Xbox One Scorpio is supposed to be about 4 times better than the original Xbox One and capable of natively running some games at 4K but I bet even it will render some games at a lower resolution and upscale. The reason I say that is because the Xbox One and PS4 both already do that all the time. There are tons of games on both of these platforms that render internally at 900p or 720p and then upscale to 1080p before going to the TV.

Even if the PS4 Pro isn't capable of rendering AAA games at 4K internally it will probably be strong enough to render everything at full 1080p and upscale to 4K instead of starting with a 900p or 720p image like the current PS4. It might even be able to handle many AAA games at 1440p. Obviously if you start with a higher resolution source before you upscale the final image will look better.

If developers are able to make the PS4 Pro render at a higher internal resolution and also include additional graphics details there could be a pretty big difference in the way a game looks when compared to a standard PS4 outputting the same game to the same TV and letting the TV do the scaling.

With Bethesda's announcement of no Mod support thanks to Sony, a number of PS4 owners were understandably pissed off. If people arguing and drama (not YouTube inspired unethical drama) interests you than the thread in the PS4 Subreddit is full of stuff.

Link (Put behind text due to NSFW Language.)

2064: Read Only Memories Is set to be released on September 27. The updated PC version will be released in November as a free update to those that own the original.

You should play RE for October. It is a good game, but it is hard. I don't think people give Resident Evil credit for how hard that game is. The original was hard enough due to limited ammo and resource hording, and the Remake (which Remastered is based off of) is even harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)