PTAT, any reason to still use it?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
When the hopper first came out the PTAT feature was the best thing since sliced bread because you could record so much using only one timer. But if I understand correctly, you can now record multiple network channels at the same time using only one tuner even with PTAT turned off. Is this correct?

As some of you may have read in another thread. I've been having a consistent issue with some of my shows I've saved from PTAT disappearing after the 8 day hold period ends. Every show I watch I have timers set for new episodes so they would get saved on the DVR automatically without me having to sift through the PTAT folder and watch or save from there. So I've been thinking, if the network shows all record using one tuner anyways. Why not turn PTAT off since my problems seems to stem from that anyway. If my thinking is correct, everything should record just like before. The only downside would be if I forget to set a timer for a new show, I can't go back a few days afterward and pull it from the PTAT folder (which I've never had to do anyway). So I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything? Is there another advantage I'm forgetting?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I am avoiding PTAT recording. I set a single channel on a day less used. This gets me the AutoHop for PT and I can transfer to EHD right away. Yes you get the "Big 4" on one tuner any time of day or use the tuner for a single other channel, your choice. I dodge PTAT by changing the day to a day earlier than the current.

I wonder if they could give us some other sets of 4 on the non-local channels that happen to share a transponder? Too bad they can't include PBS or CW etc. assuming they come from the same TP, which would vary with location. I don't expect AutoHop on any but the Big 4 during PT. How many sets of 4 at the same time are possible?

-Ken

When the hopper first came out the PTAT feature was the best thing since sliced bread because you could record so much using only one timer. But if I understand correctly, you can now record multiple network channels at the same time using only one tuner even with PTAT turned off. Is this correct?

As some of you may have read in another thread. I've been having a consistent issue with some of my shows I've saved from PTAT disappearing after the 8 day hold period ends. Every show I watch I have timers set for new episodes so they would get saved on the DVR automatically without me having to sift through the PTAT folder and watch or save from there. So I've been thinking, if the network shows all record using one tuner anyways. Why not turn PTAT off since my problems seems to stem from that anyway. If my thinking is correct, everything should record just like before. The only downside would be if I forget to set a timer for a new show, I can't go back a few days afterward and pull it from the PTAT folder (which I've never had to do anyway). So I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything? Is there another advantage I'm forgetting?

I love using PTAT and think the AutoHop is awesome. I use to have series timers for all our favorite PTAT programs so I would know they would always be in My Folders and wouldn’t have to find them in the PTAT folders. But, don’t do that anymore because it was using up too many timers toward the 96 timer limit. We keep fairly current watching our recordings so hard drive space is not a concern and we also don’t ever transfer recordings to the external hard drive unless it is something special for some reason. Also, I think it is kinda nice not to worry about setting new timers for any new PTAT programs that we want to record, I know any PTAT programs will always be there. As I got more experience using the Hopper and trusted it more I now just go into the PTAT folders each morning and do a save for our favorite programs so they are in our My Folder section, kinda for a quick management thing I guess you would say. When the good wife gets up we check the My Folders section to review what all we have to watch and then select our favorite of the favorite recordings and start watching. Sometimes when we are caught up watching all the recordings usually during the weekend, we will go look into the PTAT section and watch a program that we never watch, sometimes discover a new favorite show we like.

Last edited:
I use All American Direct for broadcast channels. PTAT does not do all four at the same time recording wise. I wish it did.

But the Commercial Hop does work and therefore I lease PTAT set. It is worth it.

I'm not sure what you are talking about? PTAT records the whole transponder and then splits out the stuff that is for your area. There is no way that I know of to do that with 'random' channels.

I never used it, just because I prefer the PQ of my locals OTA. I just installed an OTA module and each Hopper to combat that, and we rarely record more than 1-2 an hour anyways off locals.

With PTAT, the evening shows record automatically. No need to set timers.

With PTAT, the evening shows record automatically. No need to set timers.

It works great for that if you only have a few shows to watch. But when you watch as much as I do and work full time, yards to mow, and a daughter that's into everything. It's hard to watch my shows from week to week. Many of them I'm 4 or 5 episodes behind. So I need to keep timers in order to keep track of them all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

It works great for that if you only have a few shows to watch. But when you watch as much as I do and work full time, yards to mow, and a daughter that's into everything. It's hard to watch my shows from week to week. Many of them I'm 4 or 5 episodes behind. So I need to keep timers in order to keep track of them all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I would go crazy, 4 or 5 episodes behind! I need to watch next episodes as soon as possible. Especially The Young and The Restless and The Bold and The Beautiful, our favorite SOAPS. LOL

I am avoiding PTAT recording. I set a single channel on a day less used. This gets me the AutoHop for PT and I can transfer to EHD right away. Yes you get the "Big 4" on one tuner any time of day or use the tuner for a single other channel, your choice. I dodge PTAT by changing the day to a day earlier than the current.
-Ken

I'm not sure I fully understand what your doing. You leave PTAT turned on, but for only one channel and one day? So that's gives you auto hop for all network channels? And you're always going in and changing the set day to record?

I'm not sure I fully understand what your doing. You leave PTAT turned on, but for only one channel and one day? So that's gives you auto hop for all network channels? And you're always going in and changing the set day to record?

It doesn't matter which day PTAT is set to record. You will get Auto-hop for anything recorded on any day, any PT channel with standard timers. You just have to have PTAT enabled to some extent. If it is turned off entirely then auto-hop goes too.

I am not sure why dish made auto-hop dependent on PTAT being enabled, they appear to have nothing to do with each other.

I am doing the same thing Ken is. I have PTAT setup for Sat where I don't really have anything else set to record. I just leave it there. All my timers for all other days work fine, and get Auto-hop at 11:30PM or so.

The main reason I did this was most of what I am interested in is in the last hour of PTAT. Everything always runs 3-5 minutes late, since PTAT only records 0-1 min past past 10, those shows are always truncated. If I could configure the end-late for PTAT it would be far more useful.

What is All American Direct and Commercial Hop?
All American Direct is the supplier of DNS channels for Dish Subscribers.

Commercial HOP is the skipping of commercials with PTAT.

It doesn't matter which day PTAT is set to record. You will get Auto-hop for anything recorded on any day, any PT channel with standard timers. You just have to have PTAT enabled to some extent. If it is turned off entirely then auto-hop goes too.

I am not sure why dish made auto-hop dependent on PTAT being enabled, they appear to have nothing to do with each other.

I am doing the same thing Ken is. I have PTAT setup for Sat where I don't really have anything else set to record. I just leave it there. All my timers for all other days work fine, and get Auto-hop at 11:30PM or so..

I didn't realize it worked that way. So last night I turned on PTAT for Saturday night only. I figure this has to fix my problem about shows "disappearing". Unfortunately with it being summer time and mostly reruns I probably won't get a true test until the fall. But I think it will work. Thanks for the input.

Another advantage to turning PTAT off except for Saturday when I rarely record, is that the timers accept the minus 1, plus 5 minute (or longer) setting to catch overruns. You can always edit a timer if it creates an unresolvable conflict.