QQ-Box USB DVB-S Tuner - Unknown Device?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have submitted a Linux patch for the DM04 box that has the LG TDQY - P001 frontend and tuner.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/112442/

I have noticed that the tuner gain is set wrong in the Windows driver and this will explain missing channels. Especially in the UK where 28.2 and 28.5 are received with a single LNB.

As for the QQbox, I am still waiting for the unit to arrive, although I have found out what the frontend is, still can't work out what is the tuner, which means I have got to take it completely to bits.

I was playing around with the qqbox last night.

Using the blazedTV software and tried to lock onto OVC-HD on 131 3928 V 14323 5/6 however it would not lock.

So I tried on a fortec (3928 V 14323) and worked fine for the SD feed.

I then went back to blazedTV and switch from V to H and locked fine.

Any one notice that with their qqbox?

Well, they never fixed the software so it would drive Diseqc 1.2 devices so the motor is out. I gave their software engineer all the info. to implement that and USALS but they couldn't get the job done. They where to make a Linux driver too.:mad::mad::mad:

It looks like the firmware of any of the boxes cannot perform any of those functions without stopping the DVB streaming as it cannot multi task.

In Linux, DiSEqC functions are causing a headache for me at the moment. The Later Linux Me-Tv Applications try to do this while streaming causing the driver to stall

Last edited:
Hi everybody! I'm a newbie at PC-DVB-FTA, and bought a month ago a QQbox for starters. If I had read this tread before making this move, probably I'd be discussing other gadgets, but since it's here, let's try and have some fun with it.

I have a QQbox model with the sharp metal box inside, no sign of a brutal reduction of the PCB, and the same problems blacksnake faced a few posts behind.

Installing worked like a charm, with Blaze TV3.5, proDVB, and with any other program I've tried.

But on the scanning process I get a strong signal (~80%), and low (~3/4%) signal quality out of the box, no channels locked, no channels found, while a common receiver gets some 70% quality at the same antenna/transponders/SR/etc.

I've wrapped all edges with electric tape, and then all the PCB, but it does not change anything, either inside or outside the jet-black box it came into.

Any ideas? I messed with almost every single setting I found, with no effect. I suspect this set was DOA...

Thanks for the help!

I now have both a QQBox and a DM04 T-19 both have the LME2510C and the Sharp 7395. The QQbox can tune hardly any channels under Windows, but the T19 can tune them all.

I de-soldered the tuner from them both and swapped them over and the QQbox still cannot tune the channels. It seems to be a power issue.

On the Linux front the driver is working, but the tuning remains an issue with both, with no channels on the QQbox and missing channels on the T19 :confused: Still a few weeks away before I can release it.

Just another interesting (but maybe useless) information: if I connect a working receiver to the LNB loop out, it does not see any channels from the ones it captures if directly connected to the LNB, even with the QQbox disconnected from the computer or without the power supply.
This box "consumes" signal quality!

From what I can see is that the QQbox can switch off the LNB altogether. The DM04 T19 it is permanently on.

The LNB voltage is a little low on the QQbox at 12.5v or 17.5v. However, if it is on the end of a RF loop through with the host giving the full 13v or 18v, all the channels on the appropriate polarity are available. This is with an older Sky Mini-dish LNB which may have a tight tolerance.

The LNB voltage on the T19 is 13.5v or 18.5v it does not have a problem.

I will investigate whether the QQbox has the ability to over-volt, but on the initial look it appears not.

Last edited:
qq box

If you are having problems finding software for the QQbox etc try RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting . I just got blazedtv 6 for testing. I am windows XP os user. I have found so far the FTA HD receivers still work better then USB hardware like QQBOX or genpix. I have noticed the comments finding channels see attached a tool I have. Use it for a battery operated monitor and receiver. :D.

Attachments

• satellite_finder.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 348
Allright, another piece of useless information.

As I figured out power lines at my place suck, varying a lot from the theoretically provided 220V standard. So I've connected the QQbox AND the computer to a voltage stabilizer switching to a stable 110V, and finally the box was able to lock and detect some 40 channels. Unfortunately the improvement stopped there, and I wasn't able to watch anything but black screens.

Seems this box is allergic to my home environment, and I have to find out what is the next thing bothering it...

Dead QQ Box

Just to check on progress, has anyone hot a link to some working drivers fr the QQ box? I'm still stuck with the unknow device message

Working drivers are posted in this thread.

You may have a dead box.:rant:

Swap it out for a different one or get your money back.

You posted very little information to go on.

The problem is the QQbox uses a switching power supply 8v at 1 amp. I would suggest finding a transformer supply that provides the 8v. I had a DSL problem that traced to the switching supply on router. Built a ac line filter box and fixed the loss of service problem. You can find universal transformer supplies that allow setting the dc voltage needed and plug polarity. If you tested power line with a oscilloscope you would see how noisy ac main power is.:D

Allright, another piece of useless information.

As I figured out power lines at my place suck, varying a lot from the theoretically provided 220V standard. So I've connected the QQbox AND the computer to a voltage stabilizer switching to a stable 110V, and finally the box was able to lock and detect some 40 channels. Unfortunately the improvement stopped there, and I wasn't able to watch anything but black screens.

Seems this box is allergic to my home environment, and I have to find out what is the next thing bothering it...

DVBDream Free Version

Hey guys, sorry to be a pest. Just starting out with this whole PC satellite stuff. Is Blaze Video worth paying for? Or is there an equally good free alternative?

Main issue is Windows. Microsoft takes their old volnerable crap software and adds a new feature or two and touts it as Windows7. After the hackers do their thing and all the patches have to be added Windows7 bogs down just like earlier MS crap.

There are some flaws in BlazeVideo that would stop me from paying for it. I like and find DVBDream to run with fewer issues in Windows.

I have always used Blazevideo in Windows and never really had a problem with it. I did pay for version 3.5, but to be honest it isn't worth it. Although it does play HD TV quite well.

The closest I have seen to a sky like program guide is the very buggy Windows Media Center TV pack 2008 in Vista. It doesn't seem to have been ported to 7.

Unfortunately, the QQBOX does not work on it.

Linux Driver for DM04/QQBOX

I have now released the Linux driver for the DM04/QQBOX with the sharp 7395 tuner.

TVBOXSPY - Google Profile

you can patch your own v4l-dvb downloaded distro or download my v4l-dvb change (in zip etc) from here

tvboxspy: changeset 15140:61f56474018b

The firmware also needs to be installed. A file is required from the windows driver.

US2A0D.sys (dated 17 Mar 2009)
or
LMEBDA_DVBS7395C.sys (dated 18 Jan 2008)

and extracted it using get_dvb_firmware found in

linux/Documentation/dvb

details in
linux/Documentation/dvb/lmedm04.txt

Please not that many Linux applications are still very buggy in themselves and some of the problems are not related to my driver.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts