Quck Voom install Question!

ericpd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I have a quick question. My Voom installation is scheduled for 9-19, and since I'm an x-Voomer, I already have a Voom dish up on da roof. It's only duty now is to keep the OTA standing up straight. My question is: Should I allow the installer to add the necessary switching components to the existing dish, or should I insist on new everything? I understand the cost is $100 regardless, so I might as well have a new dish put up there and the old one brought down. No? Any advantages with the one E* will put up there over the little small one Voom left? If so, are there any other legacy Voom parts I may not be aware of I should insist on being replaced and not just added onto, or modified?

I know that sometimes when it comes to this kinda stuff, older hardware may be better in some respects (copy protection, things being turned down a notch on purpose, and just the run-of-the-mill "you can't do that anymore" stuff).

Thanks.

your paying the $100 take down the voom dish and put up a dish dish. He can use the same mast.

The only thing that may look stupid is if he uses a y bracket with only 1 LNB up there. Hopefully he'll have a single bracket so it doesn't look like the arm is missing an LNB

Are you currently pointing at any Dish Network satellites other than 61.5? If you are, the VOOM LNB, which is currently at 61.5, won't work together with the Dish Network LNB pointed at other satellites. The 61.5 VOOM LNB and VOOM Dish will have to be changed, if this is the case.

The installer left my voom dish, replaced the LNB holder with a dual LNB holder and only one Dish LNB in it. And yes, BFG, it does look stupid. :mad:

He shouldn't have even been able to do that period. Adding the lnb holder on to the voom dish is supossed to mess up the focal point of the dish, but it still works?

I did a self install (actually re-install of the 110/119 dish) using the old voom dish with no changes because I had old legacy switches and LNB's. With a new install, the installer will be using dishpro LNB's, so he will have to change at least the Voom LNB anyway since its not compatible. So at that point you might as well have him change the dish.

I just ordered the Voom Dish but I live outside of Atlanta so I played the locals card and got them to do the install for free and I made no mention of Voom. I'll order after the fact like I didn't know it was avilable, what a wonderful surprise more HD channels kinda thing. It's crazy how a little twisting of words and request can save you $100.

Although it was surprising the CSR didn't notice I had the HD package and recommend Voom to me. Hell they offer to sell or enroll you in everything else under the sun.....

BFG said:
He shouldn't have even been able to do that period. Adding the lnb holder on to the voom dish is supossed to mess up the focal point of the dish, but it still works?
Yeah - but not well. Probably low signal stength.

Dish Alignment Needed in Southern MS

Burning content from my 942 to DVD-R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)