Questions about OTA tuner and analog TV

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
What type of OTA tuner do you recommend I buy for my situation. I have a 32" analog TV, a VCR with S-video, and an OTA antenna. Should I buy a OTA-HD tuner? If I do, do I still need to buy an analog to digital converter box? I also want to add a Netflix streaming device soon. Thanks.

Just get a Zenith DTT901 converter box. It will convert the HD signal to work on your analog TV. I would also recommend the Digital Stream converter box as well. Both seem to work good for me. You may need to try eBay or craigslist to find one though.

We want to be able to watch an OTA channel, while we record a different OTA channel, with our VCR. I was told I would need 2 digital converter boxes to do this. Is that right? Can't it be done with 1 converter box and a splitter somehow? Thanks.

You can use a splitter but there is only 1 ATSC tuner in the converter box so the same processed channel will be output to both the TV and the VCR. You will also need 2 different brands of converter boxes or 1 remote may operate both converters.

Thanks. This is really a PITA. I think I'm going to set up one of our old sets in spare bedroom, with a converter box.

Does anyone know which are the 2 best of these digital converter boxes? Thanks.

1) Magnavox TB110MW9

2) Digital Stream DSP7700P

3) Zinwell ZAT-970A

4) Apex DT150

5) AccessHD 1080-U

Thanks, but that's way too expensive.
While expensive, you'll find that working with standalone DTV converters is akin to an epic hemorrhoidal inflamation. This is especially true when the plan is to do unattended recordings from various channels. Many converters cannot be controlled by VCRs and even fewer can control VCRs themselves.

You need to contemplate the cost of having to manually change channels periodically for the VCR to record.

In regards to the PAL DVR, the ability to record on two tuners and at the same time watch a pre-recorded show all in HD really puts this OTA receiver in the upper class. Not to mention that there are no fees after the purchase. I have used mine on average of 3 hours a day for the past 16 months. For me it is well worth the cost, but it is just my opinion.

I decided against my original plan for many reasons. Instead, we will hook up a converter box to two TV's(in different rooms). There's only a problem when my daughter's home from college. This way they can each watch their show at the same time, and no recording needed. NOW, what happened to the thread "Edit" function? And why won't anyone answer my other thread about an HD-OTA tuner for my 1080p projector? Thanks.

What type of OTA tuner do you recommend I buy for my situation. I have a 32" analog TV, a VCR with S-video, and an OTA antenna. Should I buy a OTA-HD tuner? If I do, do I still need to buy an analog to digital converter box? I also want to add a Netflix streaming device soon. Thanks.

Using an OTA HD tuner will not give you HD as you will need to set the output into the TV to 480i since it's an old analog type. In general, OTA-HDs tuners were only popular when the market was selling EDTVs and HDTVs without the ATSC tuner. The FCC forced manufacturers to include the ATSC tuner in the set ~3 + years ago.
A 1080P capable HDTV should have the ATSC tuner already.

Using an OTA HD tuner will not give you HD as you will need to set the output into the TV to 480i since it's an old analog type.
Because the OP has an SDTV, your arguments are entirely academic.

DTV converters are still available and they will achieve the goal.

Using converters with a conventional VCR will quickly prove to be insufferable if the converter doesn't have its own scheduling feature.

Some fancier VCRs are capable of controlling set top boxes and that could solve the VCR problem. The DTV Pal converter looks like a DISH Network satellite receiver from a remote control standpoint and most VCRs that can control an STB can control a DISH Network receiver.

Advice needed on OTA-HD tuner/projector setup

antennacraft mxu-59

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)