Radio Shack HD Tuner $89!

ChrisPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
TN USA
Yes, it has DD out. I have the optical output going to my Samsung HT and it sounds great. I had a Sammy STB, but this box blows it away. I get 4 or 5 more channels, if you count subchannels. It'll even lock on to one local that's just running at 45kW, and that's without a preamp!

I bought one as well. Nice receiver. Got a station that I could net get with my 811

It says that it works with cable. But, unfortunately, it does not handle QAM. So, it is useless for cable unless your cable company uses 8VSB (I think cable only uses QAM).

Yo,

Let's say I have $100 to spend.. Would you get Accurian HTS 6000 or VOOM Motorola DSR 550 ? why?

Without having used/seen the Accurian STB, I would select this box because it comes with a warranty and you can return it if you don't like it or it doesn't work very well. The VOOM STB works well, but there are too many unknowns (software version, Super Map compatibilities, activation, etc.) to pass on a $89 receiver IMO.

Get the Accurian STB! :) I have one, and it's probably the best HD STB I've ever used at any price.

Even before the sale, I wouldn't buy a Voom STB, so I got a Samsung instead. I just sold the Samsung to pay for the Accurian; the Voom unit can't hold a candle to it.

ChrisPC said:
Get the Accurian STB! :) I have one, and it's probably the best HD STB I've ever used at any price.

Even before the sale, I wouldn't buy a Voom STB, so I got a Samsung instead. I just sold the Samsung to pay for the Accurian; the Voom unit can't hold a candle to it.
Chris, have you actually used a VOOM STB? If not, then you should refrain from posting unqualified statements. If so, then please post your experiences so others can make an informed decision. I have used three VOOM receivers (two difference generations) and with various software versions. I can assure you these boxes, w/4th generation tuner, works very well and are highly reliable with certain software.

Actually I am currently a VOOM STB user.. I brought it not too long ago and watching OTA programming. They're great. Althought I saw Radio Shack Accurian STB on sale for $99, I dismissed thinking this brand is not well known. So I am now thinking about selling my VOOM and get Accurian.

riffjim4069 said:
Chris, have you actually used a VOOM STB? If not, then you should refrain from posting unqualified statements. If so, then please post your experiences so others can make an informed decision. I have used three VOOM receivers (two difference generations) and with various software versions. I can assure you these boxes, w/4th generation tuner, works very well and are highly reliable with certain software.

I have used Voom equipment, and was not impressed. The Voom STBs I tried were buggy and slow, but perhaps that was a bad s/w version. If you like them, that's fine.

I though about getting a Voom unit on eBay, but wasn't sure what version I'd be getting. That's why I first went with the Samsung.

Personally, I prefer the Accurian STB, especially since it is brand new, and has a warranty. IMHO, the menus are faster and easier than Voom and changing channels is a bit faster, too.

Photos on AVSForum show that the Accurian is the same internally as a DigitalStream STB, and their receivers have been getting very good reviews. The PCB actually says "DigitalStream".

Picked up the R/S STB, did not expect much out of it but I was impressed.

Blows my Dish 6000 out of the water. Can lock some UHF channels W/O my CM-7777 inline, the 6000 can not do that. Very sensitive tuner and I love the onscreen signal meter with a S/N ratio display. 1 button to get to it W/O going through any
menu. Great for tweaking and I have seen no other STB with a S/N ratio function.

Can auto scan, update the auto scan & enter manual channels.

Only downside is the remote is a little weak...but for $90 it's a winner.

I got one at my local radio Shack yesterday. It is rather big, but has all the right stuff. Can someone suggest a good antenna for HD that won't cost more than the receiver? I need a good antenna, nothing is very close to me.

Voom Vrs Radio Shack $89 HDTV OTA receiver

I have a Voom receiver that was left over from my Voom service contract.
Today I bought a Radio Shack $89 on sale receiver. I had to drive 65 miles each way to get one.
I opened the box and remarked to the clerk that it looked previously opened. He assured me it was brand new.
When I got home it was obvious it had been opened. It was missing all paper work and the hardware bag was opened and the tie wrap on the cords were redone. Anyway I hooked it up next to the Voom receiver.

I am able to pick up about 20 different digital channels from my location.
I am in South Alabama.
The nearest station is 13 miles PBS but was off air today.
The next closest is about 55 miles. I could pick up and lock stations as far away as 110 miles on both receivers.
The Voom would scan some channels the RS missed and the RS scanned some channels that the Voom missed.
This may be due to the fact that the some signals were around the receiver threshold. I also found that both would display stations that were not picked up on the scan. There were NO stations that I couldnt lock up on both. I believe the Voom could be a little more sensitive as I could move the antenna more and still keep the station locked than with the RS.
I notice that the signal strength meter on the RS is about 10-20 points lower on all stations than the voom and the difference gets bigger the lower the number. At first the RS looked more sensitive than the voom but that was because the meter reads lower showing a lock.
The RS has more features like a Guide than the voom does, but all in all they are pretty near the same as far as picking up, locking and holding lock on Digital Stations.
I also didnt see any real difference in the PQ between them on my 61" TV.
I do have problems with the RS remote though. It seems flakey, sometimes refusing to work and most of the times it will only work if pointed exactly at the right spot on the receiver and sometimes not over 8ft away. I find that I have to hold the remote exactly on an even line with the receiver.
Although my Channel Master rotor remote has the same inferred signals as the RS, If I tune a channel on the rotor while pointed between the rotor box and the RS receiver it will tune the antenna as well as the receiver. Which works out great. I only have to use the rotor remote to tune both. The remote problem may be normal or may be the reason the box was opened. Im going to try and get a replacement.

I have many CellphoneShacks, er.. I mean RadioShacks near me... :D
But it seems only one of them reports having the unit, 5.7 miles away. I'm so there. :)

The remote is the only drawback to the STB. It takes some getting used to; you have to make sure you push the buttons down all the way. I've gotten it to work from at least 20-25 feet away when I do that.

larrylwall, thank you very much for your comparison.... Sooo what are you gonna do with two STBs..? U gonna eBay one?

Well the store said that they had a unit but when I got there it was gone! :mad: The guy said that all the sudden everyone has been asking for them and he did'nt understand why. I just laughed. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts