Radio Shack HD Tuner $89!

One HD Channel causes lockup

Has anyone else experienced a lockup of one particular channel of their HD tuner local channel lineup? I get every other channel with perfect reception. The WFLX station, which has two digital channels, both cause the receiver to freeze. The picture comes up , then stops, then sound starts but then repeats like a broken record.

I may have my own answer, but confirmation from someone who knows would be nice. My antenna is at the top of a 30 foot tower, then another 5 feet to the antenna.
The antenna is directional, so I can only peak this receiver to what appears to be a common signal. Since the tranmitters are not all in one direction, I can only assume that the method that the Accurian receiver uses to tune, is flawed.

WFLX is 46.2 miles, per www.antennaweb.org WPTV-DT is at 45.4, and I think that I noticed a glitch or two on that signal when watching last night. It might be that I am getting enough signal to lock onto WFLX, but not enough to watch it.

Could this be the reason that I have the troubles with WFLX?

Would a standard TV antenna amplifier work on digital channels?

JM

OK, I just did several tests, and then an deep search of the web on the Accurian.

These are the facts that I can confirm.

Many owners of the the Accurian in South Florida, can not receive WFLX-DT without a lockup of the receiver.

If you can receive the Fox digital station with your Accurain, please respond here, and supply the call letters for you local Fox station. I intend to use the information to force WFLX to take a good hard look at their HD signal.

All users report that the remote is poor.

Some users report that using another universal remote improves the remote operation.

Some users report that leaving the front panel open and down, will improve the operation of the remote.

A few people reported a sharp improvement in their picture quality when they switched to HDMI, or DVI with an adapter. Dah! There has always been a sharp difference between Progressive Scan, and DVI. If you haven't used your DVI, or HDMI to connect your HDTV tuner, what are you waiting for. If one was as good as the other, they would not bother to put all that crap on the back of the receiver. They could save a lot of money and just skip it. The HDMI, for those that don't know, is the lates upgrade to HD interfaces. It is smaller than DVI, and it routes sound as well as digital video to your TV. There are adapters that can convert HDMI to DVI. I bought mine from www.buy.com for under $12. You also, have to connect the sound seperatly once you convert the HDMI to DVI. In my case, I don't use the TV sound, I use my Dolby Digital surround sound system and feed that with the optical output of the Accurian.

At $89.95, the Accurian, even without FOX, is a great deal for low budget HDTV. I watched PBS Sound Stage last night. It was HDTV at it's best. Dolby Digital sound track and awesome video. Joe

Technojunky said:
A few people reported a sharp improvement in their picture quality when they switched to HDMI, or DVI with an adapter. Dah!
Dah? Dah. Starting to sound like that Trio song... :p
Technojunky said:
There has always been a sharp difference between Progressive Scan, and DVI.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, and in fact are fairly unrelated. I think you mean to say component vs. DVI (in which case I'm not sure I agree with the "sharp difference" claim). Either way, though, with DVI you get progressive scan (480p, 720p, and soon 1080p) and interlaced (480i, 1080i). And with component connections you get the same progressive scan and interlaced modes. True, component is analog where DVI/HDMI is digital, so out of principle I would prefer all DVI/HDMI, but honestly I have yet to see much if any difference between the two connection types. Some receiver models, such as this one, may have significant differences in the DVI/HDMI vs. component picture quality, but that would most likely be due to design/implementation issues.
Technojunky said:
If you haven't used your DVI, or HDMI to connect your HDTV tuner, what are you waiting for.
Ok, I'm waiting for my TV to grow another HDMI or DVI input... ;)
Technojunky said:
If one was as good as the other, they would not bother to put all that crap on the back of the receiver. They could save a lot of money and just skip it.
See above, they bother because some people are limited in their input connection types. I have one HDMI input, already used, and many component inputs. If they didn't bother to put component outputs on there, then I wouldn't bother to buy the receiver. :)
Technojunky said:
At $89.95, the Accurian, even without FOX, is a great deal for low budget HDTV.
Yes, I agree in spite of the problems I reported in an earlier post.

By the way, for your information gathering, I receive WRGT-DT FOX 45 just fine with mine. Also, as I mentioned in the same earlier post, I found no improvement when using the remote control with the receiver front panel open.

Can't get FOXW with indoor antenna

Anyone has problem getting FOXW with an indoor antenna? I try to get for with a directional indoor antenna, but no success. Other channels are OK. Thanks!

Mike

bsr2002 said:
What codes did you use? :confused: :eek: :)
Oh and what kind of Harmony Remote do you have?

I have a H688. When I told the software to add a new receiver it asked me to push the power button and a couple of other buttons off of the radio shack remote. It then came back and recommended using a layout all ready in their database. I then had the Harmony remote learn the few keys that weren't already there.

Technojunky said:
If you can receive the Fox digital station with your Accurain, please respond here, and supply the call letters for you local Fox station. I intend to use the information to force WFLX to take a good hard look at their HD signal.

In Philadelphia PA, I am able to pick up our Fox station (WTXF-29) using my indoor Silver Sensor with a CM 7775 pre-amp. Hope this helps!

A coworker picked up an Accurian this past week. He is only 25 miles from area DTV towers so I let him borrow a spare CM-4228...nothing. I let him borrow my Voom STB and viola...he receives all full-power digitals. He swapped out the receiver yesterday and it receiving all but one local digital. It would appear the first receiver was DOA.

My accurian is compatible with WLOS ABC in my area, whereas a directv stb was not. i have had others confirm this. I also had a an LG ota reciever and the accurian pulls in the signals much better hands down with the same antenna aiming. The remote sucks and the front panel down makes now difference. Overall I am happy. I am in the mountains of Asheville NC and 30 miles from the station and pull in ABC with indoor antenna.

Don't mean to double post but want you to know that on Summit Blvd here in West Palm I'm getting great transmission/pic quality on all channels running the Accurian to my Toshiba 46H84 RPT using a $10 Big Lots a.c. powered/amplified table top antenna labeled Digital HDTV ready...(kinda like a $30 RS model)...
Nice finding you...will keep in touch...Jt

Is this receiver still available? I'd like to purchase one if it was, but I don't see it available online anymore, and its not at any of my local stores.

Another quick question, what would be the best antenna to pick up my stations. I'm pretty far from the towers (20-50M).

Here is what is in my area:

(click to view)

Thanks for the help.

It ws a clearance item. If still in stock you can get one but it is likely sold out by now.

There was a band opening this morning and I did an update scan and ended up with 31 digital channels to watch. It didn't last long, but it was interesting. Try a update scan in the early morning hours, or at night, you might be surprised at how many channels appear.

There might be a handful of unclaimed Accrurian receivers. It will depend on where you look. Also have your family in other parts of the country check their local Radio Shack. They have also been showing up on Ebay as well. Joe

Save yourself the trouble and buy a learning remote. Many of us have bought a Harmony remote. I bought the 768, it works great on every component I have. I have 6 devices programmed, and 4 activities. I did a little fine tuning and really love the way it works. Joe

sfollenius said:
I am considering an Infrared Remote Extender to see if that fixes my problems with remote. Anyone tried this? I think it will work, you can pick one up for about $25 online with shipping.

I think I'm going to call my local Radio Shack and see if they can have a Radio Shack from another part of the country send one to their store.

RussTC3 said:
Is this receiver still available? I'd like to purchase one if it was, but I don't see it available online anymore, and its not at any of my local stores.

Another quick question, what would be the best antenna to pick up my stations. I'm pretty far from the towers (20-50M).

Here is what is in my area:

Thanks for the help.

I bought one for my neighbor who may not want it after all...post if interested...I'd just want my cost, $96, + shipping and any $ transfer fee (paypal?)...I have and will send the receipt for warranty or return issues (exp. Nov. 11)...Jt

Thanks for the offer, but I actually just called up my local Radio Shack and asked them if they could get a unit from another store. They said yes, and I went there to order it. I even had a $10 off coupon, so that was nice. :D

I'll report back in a few days with my observations.

What type of antenna should I have? The channels in my area are in the picture I posted in my previous post a little up the page.

I got a $10 'desktop' antenna at a store called "Big Lots" that's similar to a $30 RadShak (Cat # 15-1838)...a.c. powered/amplified with vhf ears and uhf 'loop' that gets all the digital stations within 30miles...though it does need adjustment from one station to another sometimes....
Good luck...

I picked up my second Accurian today. They didn't have the remote and would not give any other discount, but I took it anyway. I made him give me cables though, they had to break open the packages for them, but I wasn't going to take a bare receiver and pay him the full clearence price. I got the box and book and extended warranty because it was a display unit. I wil have to shop around for another cheap learning remote now. Joe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)