Radio Shack HD Tuner $89!

I indeed bought one on my way home Monday. It was previously opened, and I commented about it and the guy "gave" me the "premium" warranty or whatever they called it. He said it was the demo unit. That's fine, though, it's still only $89. :)

I will say it's an improvement over my USDigital (Hisense) DB-2010 for many reasons, but there are two things about it that are annoying:

1. Truly the infrared (remote control) communications need some serious rework. I think this is the reason it is on clearance. I tried with the front panel door down, and it didn't make any difference. Fortunately in my case, I just leave the receiver on and tuned to an SD station 24/7 for my mini home "cable system" (some may say "what a waste" but I get plenty of HD from my other components). :)

2. Others, I would appreciate if you mention if you are having the following problem because it could likely be that my unit is slightly defective. When viewing SD digital programming, and using the component output, there is frequent sever vertical jitter. Frequent as in once or twice a minute. Severe as in the vertical shift seen on every other frame is almost an inch on my 50" widescreen LCD TV. The composite output (going to an external modulator) does not have this issue, verified by viewing it on two TVs that are side-by-side. Like #1 above, though, in my situation this is not so much a problem because it seems just fine when viewing HD, and I don't care about watching through component for SD (which is most of the time, see above).

But to repeat, in spite of the two issues above this is a pretty nice unit. And I really like the way it looks. :)

I went out and got me a demo model of Accurian. I was told that it was a brand new and never used before... I guess I will just have to take a word for it.

As previous person has mentioned, I am too seeing frequent server vertical jitter, and some dark black lines on some channels.. and big O black square box on one channel. It's kind of weird becuase some channels I am getting over 90 for meter not sure if i have a defective model or what.

thus far compare to Voom Motorola DSR 550, appears to be okay in term of picture when clear. I will watch some NFL football over the weekend and will update the quality. Remote could be litte better. It's like I have to point directly to receiver to make it work

One other thing I like about Accurian is that you can via meter reading for a particular channel while the program is tuned to it. That's cool.

I just bought an Accurian 5 days ago. Can't stand the remote. :mad: Will a remote like one of those Harmony one's be able to collect the information from the RS remote so the Harmony can run it? :confused:

If by "can't stand the remote" you're referring to the issues described above about how weakly the unit receives the remote control signal, a different remote may or may not work. I suspect the problem lies more in the receiver side, in which case another remote probably wouldn't help. But I'm not saying not to try one... if you do, and have much better success, I hope you'll let us know. :)

This one reason might be why so many of us have gotten units that look like they have been previously opened, and also, why Radio Shack has cleared themselves of nearly every one of them with this great price. mine is still in the box, I am trying to decide what the best antenna will be. I don't want a monster for all bands, just hi-def, good to 20 to 35 miles.

Technojunky said:
This one reason might be why so many of us have gotten units that look like they have been previously opened, and also, why Radio Shack has cleared themselves of nearly every one of them with this great price. mine is still in the box, I am trying to decide what the best antenna will be. I don't want a monster for all bands, just hi-def, good to 20 to 35 miles.
I'm using a CM 4228 Ant.

I will assume that Cm stands for Channel Master, but can you say a few things about what you like about this antenna? How big is it, and how well does it work? how far from the tranmitters are you? Thanks

Technojunky said:
I will assume that Cm stands for Channel Master, but can you say a few things about what you like about this antenna? How big is it, and how well does it work? how far from the tranmitters are you? Thanks

It's a very good antenna, one of the better ones. I am less than 20 miles away from the TV stations but they are all running at very low power. It is a directional antenna but the towers are grouped together in one area. Works great for both analog and digital stations. :D

bsr2002 said:
I just bought an Accurian 5 days ago. Can't stand the remote. :mad: Will a remote like one of those Harmony one's be able to collect the information from the RS remote so the Harmony can run it? :confused:

I bought this receiver last week and programed my Harmony to run it. It works like a champ.

Not Bad for $89.98

I just bought one at Knott & Garden Grove in OC. HD Reception is even better than my Sony HD300, but can't compare picture quality with the HD300, but it's not that bad. I think this is the same picture quality as the Samsung 360. For $89.98, I'm very happy with the purchase and willing to live with the remote control issue.

Mike

I hooked mine up today. I bought a CM-4221 Channel Master bowtie antenna. It was good for 45 miles. I almost bought he bigger model, 4228, but I put it up at about 35 feet in Florida. Florida is flat..

I put the antenna up and didn't face it in any particular direction. I checked the receiver and I had more than 10 channels scanned in, and many were fantastic. I went back to tune mode and managed to get my signal to 94 on peaks. I went back and did a new scan and got everything I wanted. The major networks and PBS were my goals. I did get about 18 channels in all, and most were as good as, or better than cable, or Dishnet. I have the HDMI to DVI converter coming this week. I will give an update when I switch to HD 1080i.

One problem channel, WFLX a Fox station, one that I want. It causes the receiver to lockup, I have to reboot and knock both of its channels off of my receiver so it will skip them. Bummer.. I will have to write them a note and ask if there is any reason for their channels to do that to me.

I will give the Channel Master CM-4221 a glowing endorsement. It is small, easy to setup, and very effective. If you have stations in more than one direction, you may need to put it on a rotor. If you live far from the stations you want to get, you may benefit from the bigger CM-4228. The small antenna is a 4 bow-tie model, and the larger 4228 is 8 bow-tie's. This antenna is far easier to deal with than a conventional TV antenna. I got mine from Solid Signal on the web.

Yes, the remote sucks. I have the Harmony coming this week, along with the HDMI to DVI adapter. Both of those should streamline and improve my configuration. The EPG (Electronic Program Guide), is very nice, yet slow to update. I like that the info screen will show signal strength and supported modes for the channel you are on. It comes up at the top of the screen and shows if the station you are watching is digital, has Dolby, and other useful data. The favorites button only toggles between channels that you have selected as favorites. There is also 6 modes of CC that can be used. The button for CC toggles between the modes, back to off. JM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts