Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
OK Guys, might need some advise here...

Have been with D* forever (13 years).

I have another residence that is only about 10 blocks away, office/apartment, that I have had cable in. Now with the MLB EI package off Time Warner (I guess) I called D* to have them install at the 2nd place. Originally the CSR told me it would be a new and separate account and then for some reason she said that it would be put in as a "movers". Of course I asked and she confirmed that I would not lose the signal at my first residence when they turn on the 2nd one. This is all fine and it just ends up as an additional receiver added to my account.

So why doesn't this sound right? Is this the way it is done? Seems to me that I won't have to pay for the programming twice, or maybe I will I am not sure. Anyway, the appointment is for tomorrow. Should I let it go and get the install and see what happens or is this going to be a gigantic can of worms. I assumed that it would be a separate account and all of the programming etc...would be separate. Am I worried for a reason or paranoid. Sorry for the long post but I am certain my D* friends here can clarify. Thanks!!

OK Guys, might need some advise here...

Have been with D* forever (13 years).

I have another residence that is only about 10 blocks away, office/apartment, that I have had cable in. Now with the MLB EI package off Time Warner (I guess) I called D* to have them install at the 2nd place. Originally the CSR told me it would be a new and separate account and then for some reason she said that it would be put in as a "movers". Of course I asked and she confirmed that I would not lose the signal at my first residence when they turn on the 2nd one. This is all fine and it just ends up as an additional receiver added to my account.

So why doesn't this sound right? Is this the way it is done? Seems to me that I won't have to pay for the programming twice, or maybe I will I am not sure. Anyway, the appointment is for tomorrow. Should I let it go and get the install and see what happens or is this going to be a gigantic can of worms. I assumed that it would be a separate account and all of the programming etc...would be separate. Am I worried for a reason or paranoid. Sorry for the long post but I am certain my D* friends here can clarify. Thanks!!

I'm thinking that the CSR is confused (gee what a shock). If you have 2 different service addresses, you are supposed to pay for two separate base packages. Also, with a 'movers' you are supposed to leave the dish but TAKE the receivers to the new location. If you ordered additonal receivers it is not a 'movers' deal.

That's what I believe to be true at least.

Yup, thats what I am thinking...she was really nice...but seemed a bit green...guess I should call in and see if I can clear it up...

Correct. Been there, done that. What you want to do is a completely separate (second) account, not a mover plan or an additional receiver on an existing account. If they set it up as a move, you will lose service at the first location. If they mistakenly set it up as an additional receiver, you could indeed possibly wind up with service at both locations on one account, but they would put the cuffs on you and not the CSR when the second receiver dials in from the second location. Call them now, to confirm how your new activation is to be structured. The best surprise is no surprise.

Well, strange......just got off the phone with another D* rep and she told me that because of the close proximity between the 2 ,(less than a 2 miles) (she doesn't know this just hthat they are close,same suburb) that I would in fact be fine just adding it as an additional receiver.

And lo and behold, I am still thinking that they don't know what they are talking about. Now, this would be a good thing (for me), only payment for the package and only having to purchase the subscriptions like MLB EI and NFL ST once for both locations, but I do feel like if it does in fact work, that I am cheating somehow. Not that it really bothers me considering my bill every month:eek:

Well, strange......just got off the phone with another D* rep and she told me that because of the close proximity between the 2 ,(less than a 2 miles) (she doesn't know this just hthat they are close,same suburb) that I would in fact be fine just adding it as an additional receiver.

And lo and behold, I am still thinking that they don't know what they are talking about. Now, this would be a good thing (for me), only payment for the package and only having to purchase the subscriptions like MLB EI and NFL ST once for both locations, but I do feel like if it does in fact work, that I am cheating somehow. Not that it really bothers me considering my bill every month:eek:

Ahhh...the end results of outsourcing. There is a clause in the contract that clearly states that you have to have a separate account for each different address. It doesn't matter if it is next door or across country. The same rules apply either way.

However ~develops evil grin~

You could always use the movers connection and bring your existing equipment to the new service address and have them add another receiver. Then after it is set up bring all but one receiver back to the original location. You will be locked into a commitment at that point, but only one bill for both places. Just make sure you don't hook receivers up to a phone line at BOTH locations and make sure the ones you do hook up have the same phone number that your account states you have. Of course DTV has no idea you are doing this...it doesn't matter what the CSR told you either. This scenario is a violation of your contract.

Yikes!!

Geeeez...cant take all of my receivers (4)over to the other location, it's just an office/efficiency with one television. The rest of course I can do. So after my original call and the second attempt to clear it all up, I got the same answer both times. My install is for tomorrow. What the hell am I suppose to do now? When the installer adds this DVR at the new location, and turns that puppy on will I still have service at the other location, if so, I can't see not letting it go. If not, then I have to call them again and take it from there. They have already posted my delivery, around $21 for the new DVR that they gave me for free. Guess I will see what happens.

Even if it looks like they are about to err in your favor, (if it were me) I would not chance it, all you need is for a year to go by then suddenly they want to throw a bunch of charges at you.

Good luck.

Even if it looks like they are about to err in your favor, (if it were me) I would not chance it, all you need is for a year to go by then suddenly they want to throw a bunch of charges at you.

Good luck.

Talking about raining on my parade...:eek:

I mean I was straight forward with the first CSR. Called again after hearing opinions here and blatantly asked the same questions and both times they are like, no, your fine. How many times am I suppose to call them? What are the odds that I got 2 dingbat CSR's in a row?? Ummmm, don't answer that last question!:eek:

Talking about raining on my parade...:eek:

I mean I was straight forward with the first CSR. Called again after hearing opinions here and blatantly asked the same questions and both times they are like, no, your fine. How many times am I suppose to call them? What are the odds that I got 2 dingbat CSR's in a row?? Ummmm, don't answer that last question!:eek:

I hear what you're saying, but, and you know this, the CSRs, will NOT look out for your best interest, only you will look out for your own best interest, so it would be wise to do what you can to mitigate what you can now, get them to put it in writing, if they do that, you would not be held liable, and if they will not put it in writing (that you have 2 seperate addresses on the same account, and D* is OK with it), well...

If it makes you feel any better, it is just as possible that they'll never throw any charges at you ever, some people have that kind of luck. :)

So just to clarify, you are being told that you will have 2 separate accounts right?

No, they are telling him, that it will be all on his one existing account, and that the other STB (at another address) will just count as an addl. receiver, clearly, iirc, a violation of D*'s own TOS.

Apparently, if I am reading right, the reasoning by D* is that the second address is so close to the first (though the OP seems to indicate that is not the case), that it would be 'fine'.

No, they are telling him, that it will be all on his one existing account, and that the other STB (at another address) will just count as an addl. receiver.

Apparently, if I am reading right, the reasoning by D* is that the second address is so close to the first (though the OP seems to indicate that is not the case), that it would be 'fine'.

OH OK, and thus I see the confusion; my in-laws own the house next door to their home (about 25' away in reality) but nothing between them and they couldn't get the "same account" treatment to supply the added DBS TV to their perspective tenants. Thus I see his confusion. and by heading the term "movers" being read to him; I am inclined to think they are going to try to move all his current service to the "new" address at his office while adding the new DVR receiver. But as said before, this really doesn't hurt him, as he can simply move it back after the fact; a headache yes, but works out account wise I guess. That is, IF it happens. Please keep us posted, as this is interesting.

Can't wait to see what happens after the install tomorrow.

FlyingJ, I would verify that what you were told by the 2 CSR's that the info is noted in your account just to CYA.

Can't wait to see what happens after the install tomorrow.

FlyingJ, I would verify that what you were told by the 2 CSR's that the info is noted in your account just to CYA.

That's all I'm saying :)

The CSRs don't care about any ill effects the customers may have from a botched order, I wager that once you ask them to put it in writing (and if they say they noted it on your account, you must verify by calling again to another CSR, and having them read back the note the first CSR should have added), they'll suddenly become concerned, and their position may change.

Because, one day you'll call them, and they'll check your account, that CSR could say, "you've been violating our TOS, you owe us $$$", now, if you don't have something not in their control (as they can alter your account notes after the fact, which is why I said, 'get it in writing', as proof _they_ said it was ok, they could at least give you a hard time, and at most, mess with your credit.

:)

you might want to be sure to get names and id numbers too!!!

I've found alot of them will get nervous when asked for their names and will usually make up a name, I find it helps (if they do not use IDs or won't give it to you, and seem hesitant to give a name or ID (indicitive that they are going to lie anyway)), to ask for their initials, they are more comfortable, and are more likely to give you the real initials, and at least it's something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)