REUTERS - WB to Announce Blu Only

Guys, this is an announcement by Time-Warner on their decision to back BluRay exclusively. This is not a rumor this is an anouncement on a decision by Time-Warner. The other news agencys are picking this up because of the importance to the two format camps. Can't say that this was not expected--BUT-- lets wait and see if Warner issues a retraction immediately like they have in the past. If that retraction doesn't come today or tommorow consider this a done deal.

Maybe that was the meeting Warner had with the HD-DVD group -- letting them know of their decision. All I can say is WOW!!

This came out on a Friday afternoon. I hope they will retract. Otherwise, I will let Blu-Ray guys gloat over owning the next laserdisc and will rejoin the unwashed masses in watching upconverted SD DVD's. Blu-Ray doesn't have the replication capacity to even supply its own demand much less HD-DVD's.

Its getting confirmed even by the HDDVD guys on other sites.

I'v been told for a fact its true, get over it and move on. Either support BD or go back to dvd.

This came out on a Friday afternoon. I hope they will retract. Otherwise, I will let Blu-Ray guys gloat over owning the next laserdisc and will rejoin the unwashed masses in watching upconverted SD DVD's. Blu-Ray doesn't have the replication capacity to even supply its own demand much less HD-DVD's.

I hope it is true. then Blue ray owners will see a dropping of the BOGOs and increased costs. Sony loves to fix prices. *shrug* but like I said. Not much any of us can do about it.

I know there is the hardcore geek element here.. but I firmly believe this just delayed people moving to high definition dvds. The avergae consumer is not going to spend 300+ dollars for a blu ray player. There was beginning to be more adoption with some of the low cost hd-dvd players that were hitting the market. Yes, this DID help DVD stay around longer.

I know there is the hardcore geek element here.. but I firmly believe this just delayed people moving to high definition dvds. The avergae consumer is not going to spend 300+ dollars for a blu ray player. There was beginning to be more adoption with some of the low cost hd-dvd players that were hitting the market. Yes, this DID help DVD stay around longer.

Yeah It will mean a lot more SD - Up converts as well for me. (Untill MS releases a Drive for the 360 or FFXIII comes out at least.)

There WILL be a chinese player announced for BD at CES.

I still dont see why people sweat the prices, I paid $399 for my first DVD player a YEAR after they were out. That was some great pricing :(

There WILL be a chinese player announced for BD at CES.

I still dont see why people sweat the prices, I paid $399 for my first DVD player a YEAR after they were out. That was some great pricing :(

Yeah but other companies could make DVD players (without licensing) and that drove the price down. Sony now has complete control over the market. We will not see a price drop on this any time soon.

Yeah but other companies could make DVD players and that drove the price down. Sony now has complete control over the market. We will not see a price drop on this any time soon.

Ummm, Pansonic, Denon, Onkyo, Samsung............

For all you Sony haters, NEWS FLASH, SONY does not OWN the BDA and is not making the only player.

Toshibas idea was to sell cheap and try and win, it blew back in their face. Now the BD manufacturers charged more and made a little, boohoo.

If true, this should end the war...
And hopefully, not freeze the prices.

Diogen.

Microsoft is set to introduce a new 360 with an HD-DVD player built in.. Im sure they invested quite a bit into this. I expect them to do something to counter act this... what? I don't know. But Microsoft wont just sit by and let HD-DVD die. Personally, I wont invest a dime into anything that goes to SONY. If that means staying with DVD until their patent expires, so be it.

Microsoft is set to introduce a new 360 with an HD-DVD player built in.. Im sure they invested quite a bit into this. I expect them to do something to counter act this... what? I don't know. But Microsoft wont just sit by and let HD-DVD die. Personally, I wont invest a dime into anything that does to SONY. If that means staying with DVD until their patent expires, so be it.

I have not seen this one confirmed.

If you dont think that the lasers will continue to get cheaper and will be outsourced, I disagree.

Microsoft is set to introduce a new 360 with an HD-DVD player built in.. Im sure they invested quite a bit into this. I expect them to do something to counter act this... what? I don't know. But Microsoft wont just sit by and let HD-DVD die. Personally, I wont invest a dime into anything that goes to SONY. If that means staying with DVD until their patent expires, so be it.

A rumor that was squashed. (course the elite was a rumor as well *shrug*) .

Where Is Verbano?

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers,"

~Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

Last edited:
Is anyone else waiting for vurb's response? :)

:D

ministerse3.jpg

I hope that the Mac rumor holds true also for Macworld.

We should quit arguing about this because its done and no one knows what it means short term.

Question now is, what do Uni and Para do?

And if at least Uni goes neutral, do you sony haters still sit on the sidelines?

I hope that the Mac rumor holds true also for Macworld.

We should quit arguing about this because its done and no one knows what it means short term.

Question now is, what do Uni and Para do?

And if at least Uni goes neutral, do you sony haters still sit on the sidelines?

Yup, until 1 of 2 things happen (MS releases a BD drive or FXIII comes out)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts