REUTERS - WB to Announce Blu Only

I couldn't agree more. Downloading movies in addition to god awful DRM will never be big. When purchasing something like a movie, people want a tangible media.

I love it when I go to play a WMA that I bought a year ago and it wont let me.

Main reason I use wmaconvert now and convert everything to mp3 right after I buy it.

I love it when I go to play a WMA that I bought a year ago and it wont let me.

Main reason I use wmaconvert now and convert everything to mp3 right after I buy it.

Never had this issue with my Zune. *shrug* could be user error :D

But I will tell you when downloading a movie comes in handy (I have 10mb connection from charter) When you are drinking with friends and cannot run down to the redbox or backbreakers (blockbuster).

I have rented like 4 movies this way. On xbox live.

Other than that the movie rentals are pretty much useless. :D

Never had this issue with my Zune. *shrug* could be user error :D

I dunno, I download songs to a folder and keep them all on my hdd. Some of the older ones now give me drm errors. I've fixed a few, but can you imagine how frustrating this is to people who are not computer savvy?

I dunno, I download songs to a folder and keep them all on my hdd. Some of the older ones now give me drm errors. I've fixed a few, but can you imagine how frustrating this is to people who are not computer savvy?

Oh don't get me wrong, I hate DRM. All songs I buy from Zune market place get burned to CD via the Zune software and re-ripped as MP3s.

I was just saying I have never had an issue with a DRM WMA song not playing.

Personally I am glad that zune marketplace now offers non DRM MP3s now. The only time you are forced to download the DRM versions is if you pay for the monthly subscriptions.

Luckily, it appears DRM music is dying. You should look into wmaconvert, it saves the ripping part.

is possible. You know what stinks is that as Music DRM is dying its starting to get full momentum in the video area. Dish is even getting ready to not allow 1080i/p over component. You have to have HDMI to get it.

The real reason why Warner went blu? - Engadget HD

For 500,000,000 I would kiss sony's arse as well.

WOW!!

<H2>The real reason why Warner went Blu?
Posted Jan 4th 2008 8:43PM by Ben Drawbaugh
Filed under: Blu-ray, HD DVD
1-4-08-warner_bd.jpg

We knew this wouldn't take long -- just like when Paramount made the switch to HD DVD, rumors are swirling that a sum of $500 Million was involved in the decision to make the switch. The rumor goes on to say that Fox's allegiance to Blu-ray was a factor as well, but when it refused to defect from the Blu camp and accepted an undisclosed amount, Warner (owned by Time Warner, which also owns Engadget's parent companies) had no choice; because at this point, without another studio going red it would've only put the war into more of a stalemate than it already was. Of course, Warner tells the story a little differently, and on a recent conference call when asked about any "compensation" Kevin Tsujihara, president, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group said that it "was not a bidding war" and that it really came down to Q4 sales, specifically in the International markets -- then he wanted to know if we had any idea where they could collect the $500 Million. Ultimately, Warner wanted to try and give consumers a reason to get off the fence.

As for the remaining five months, although there will be a delay in the release of Warner HD DVD titles in comparison to the Blu-ray releases, the specifics haven't been worked out just yet, and the decision has also not been made to stop production of current HD DVD titles -- but the retailers will have a say in that one. We closed the call with the most pertinent question of all, "Where's the Matrix on Blu-ray?" to which the answer was, as soon as they work out the details of BD Java and PIP.
</H2>

Looks like the Matrix will never be on BD.

If every one of HD-DVD's supporters felt like you Vurbano then HD-DVD might not be where it is today. But they don't -- in fact the panic over at AVS shows that most of them would of become purple in time and now they are talking about selling their HD-DVD products on E-Bay. Are you going to do that Vurbano?

If every one of HD-DVD's supporters felt like you Vurbano then HD-DVD might not be where it is today. But they don't -- in fact the panic over at AVS shows that most of them would of become purple in time and now they are talking about selling their HD-DVD products on E-Bay. Are you going to do that Vurbano?

Only a fatalist , or someone who bought HD-DVD to hedge their bets, would sell one of the best up converting players on the market.

Anyone wanna dump their stuff send me a PM. :D

Have you lost your mind???? (dont answer, I think I know) With 2% market penetration, this war could go on for 15 more years with both sides claiming victory every other year.:rolleyes:

Have you lost your mind???? (dont answer, I think I know) With 2% market penetration, this war could go on for 15 more years with both sides claiming victory every other year.:rolleyes:

Vurbano -- WARNER PICKED BLU-RAY (they currently own 40% of the HD-DVD disc sales) -- I don't think I am the one whose mental state is being questioned. Maybe you should revisit AVS (I saw your post there on this very topic). Seems the AVS boys are about 50-50 to either selling their HD-DVD product online or stop purchasing HD-DVD altogether and buy BD. Either way, if the harcore guys are thinking this way what makes you think that it is not over? Plenty of FUD out there but now even New Line has announced BD exclusivity. If Universal even moves to even supporting both formats -- HD-DVD is dead.

Last edited:
Wow.... I just haven't had much time to post lately (mostly because I haven't been at work :)), and I just happen to miss this one.... I haven't had time to read this whole thread or the others on this topic, but I did read this page, and I can't say that I'm surprised that good ol' Vurbano can be counted on to try and convince us his side hasn't lost yet... personally, I'm wondering how much of the $150M Paramount will have to give back so they can start making BD's again before the 18 mos. is up...

Vurbano -- WARNER PICKED BLU-RAY
Paramount didnt, neither did Universal. Frankly My BD buying is going to cease for awhile while I buy HD DVD titles. And just in case HD DVD standalones stop for some reason I will be purchasing an HD DVD drive to protect my HD DVD disc investment. ANd BTW Sony "bought" Warner for 500 million, they didnt "pick" anything.

Paramount didnt, neither did Universal. Frankly My BD buying is going to cease for awhile while I buy HD DVD titles. And just in case HD DVD standalones stop for some reason I will be purchasing an HD DVD drive to protect my HD DVD disc investment.

Why don't you give them a little time Vurbano -- like maybe till the end of next week?

well, good for WB...

How many HD-DVD's have I bought? 0, thats right, none... I've rented 2, and I got the free one with the 360 HD-DVD drive, along with the 5 in the mail offer, and that is all I have gotten.

I've used my player to play regular DVD's, and I like the play back better than my progressive DVD player, so I'm happy with the $170 I spent on it...

Will I buy Blu-Ray? Yes, but it will not be from Sony, and it won't be for another year at least (I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BLOW ON SOMETHING LIKE THIS!! Blu-Ray fans, anyone want to buy me a PS3 or Standalone player? If you do, I'll praise Blu-Ray and/or PS3 tomorrow, if not, you'll have to wait until I can aford it)

Ever since the WB announcement I have read dozens of people saying they're going to hold off getting a Blu-Ray player because they're, ''so expensive.'' How expensive does everyone think these players are? IIRC there are a couple of models at $300 and the PS3 is $399. Furthermore I don't expect it will be long before we see a $250 or $200 model. I know that's not pocket change but it's not like the cheapest model is $999.

How long did it take sd dvd players to hit $200??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts