REUTERS - WB to Announce Blu Only

Warner paid off

From the insider thread at AS:

I don't have a lot of time to extrapolate all of this, but yes, money was changed hands in the deal, which is just business people.
But, even so, Warner is looking at the long term and long term, they aren't concerned. They weren't going to "jump ship" to HD DVD unless another studio went with them, and when the other studio (which I can't name as of yet) decided not to jump, then Warner chose the swiftest way to end the format war and made a decision that was best for their business.

I see no real change from the day before Paramount went to HD DVD only.

:haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha

Reminds me of the movie The Naked Gun. Lt. Frank Drebin is standing at the scene of an exploding gas truck and multi car crash saying, "Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see here..."

They did not say 500 million was paid. They just joked where could they collect 500 million for going exclusive. The WSJ reported marketing allowances from Sony were provided, but nothing was mentioned about 500 million. This would be big financial news to be reported if it were done.

To all HD-DVD defenders:

I know what you're thinking right now...

cypher2.jpg

"Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?"

Im willing to bet the truth was that Fox and WB were offered the replication discounts or whatever plus some other freebies and once Fox stayed on board, WB knew that sustaining HDDVD would be never ending.

I still have to doubt that Fox was considering HDDVD, as long as they made me wait for movies because of BD+ coming online.

Regardless, who cares. RIP

Yup, now that Warner came to us, all the other studios will jump ships when their contract expires.

51YXV3l12HL._SS500_.jpg

Found this pic on the br forums for funny pics :)

On a serius note: Its sad to see all these people trying to sell their HD-DVD movies and players...took a look @ the avs forums, they lost faith in their format.

Last edited:
ill play my hd dvds till my player dies then ill replace them on blu till then its all hd to me

I agree with this. Ill continue to rent netflix hddvd when blu is not an option also.

The main thing I wont be doing is buying anymore of the back catalog titles from Univ or Para. I probably wont make any purchases of upcoming flix unless I just really feel the need to.

I just hope my A2 is mechanically sound because its a great upconverter and Id love it to last. HDDVD has pretty much lost me on software sales, and in the end thats what matters to a format.

What moron wants to download a movie for a fee and have it disappear after a few days? I own my BD's and HD DVD's and can play them forever. Downloading is an asinine idea and there is no "right" price for something I will not own.

I couldn't agree more. Downloading movies in addition to god awful DRM will never be big. When purchasing something like a movie, people want a tangible media.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)