REUTERS - WB to Announce Blu Only

Wonder how much BDA paid WB?

I think they turned down a LARGE amount from HDDVD/M$, but I think M$ screwed that deal with exclusivity for downloads.

I heard they turned down $250 mill from HDDVD around the time of the Paramount switch.

I've heard of some huge money perhaps half a billion or more to WB. I'm not out on the red library. I own two HD-DVD players. I need one more for a SD TV I have in my home gym.

Swanni also said both formats will come together towards the end of this year and settle on HD-DVD. It almost makes sense, since Blu-Ray replication and authoring is such a bitch.

//non war zone material
To the Blu-Ray supporters, congrats on this round. I never had any hard feelings towards any of you. (It's just television.) If you're ever in Austin, ping me. I'll buy you a beer!

All I can say is WOW. I only wish they would have made this choice prior to releasing HP. I was debating on which version to purchase, I guess I picked the wrong one. :mad:

I just sure hope that this does put this stupid war to an end.

Agreed, I was a little more confident in BD because of insider comments so I bought all on BD.

It is kinda crappy for anyone that bought the set on HDDVD.

Guess this meant nothing?

The format war was heating up again with Pali Research analyst Rich Greenfield prediction of Warner’s exclusive endorsement on Blu-Ray coming few days ago and the switch means an end to HD-DVD. The Red Camp can relax and rest assures that it’s not happening anytime soon as Warner has denied its plan to stand on Blu-Ray exclusively.

Don Lindich got an official response from Warner Bros’s Senior Vice President and General Manager Jim Noonan.

“We have made no decision to change our present policy which is to produce in both HD DVD and Blu-ray.”

Well, If the public still can’t decide which is best at this point, it probably never will until both get replaced by next generation of media. The studio is more than happy to sell both or endorse one with financial incentives.

Warner Bros. on HD DVD, Blu-ray: No changes in support for either format [via soundadviceblog]

Nope, I only trust what I read from 1 or 2 insiders on blu-ray.com.

Forget universal, isnt paramounts deal only 18mo's? So does Paramount back out or does Toshiba throw it in and back out so they dont have to pay? Or was it paid up front?

All I can say is WOW. I only wish they would have made this choice prior to releasing HP. I was debating on which version to purchase, I guess I picked the wrong one. :mad:

I bought on HD DVD as well. I suppose I can send it back to Amazon and trade.

It makes me wonder how Amazon is going to do, with all of those HDDVD returns.

It makes me wonder how Amazon is going to do, with all of those HDDVD returns.

They won't have to do anything with them especially if they are open. IMO there are probably not many of them that are in an unopened condition.

This came out on a Friday afternoon. I hope they will retract. Otherwise, I will let Blu-Ray guys gloat over owning the next laserdisc and will rejoin the unwashed masses in watching upconverted SD DVD's. Blu-Ray doesn't have the replication capacity to even supply its own demand much less HD-DVD's.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! And do you actually think because you, personally think Blu-ray will fail that it’s a sure thing to fail? And all the FUD that was spread against Blu-ray- don’t you see it for what it was? A desperate attempt to stave off the inevitable, while hoping for a miracle? You actually think those plants they’re building won’t be finished? And no more constructed? That claim, along with “Disney is turning HD DVD exclusive” and the other BS, was just that- baseless BS. Early problems with replication and authoring were addressed, but some HD DVD types kept repeating outdated claims like they were problems that could never be addressed. Problems get fixed, costs come down. And BD-java is a more robust language that will allow for more options in the future.

Warner is at least not pulling a fast rug out from under some customers. They’ll provide at least some movies in HD DVD until May. By then, I’d expect the market for HD DVD will be pretty well dried up. Classier approach than the overnight snatch from Paramount.

And by the way, akodoreign, nobody ever legally produced a DVD player without paying the license fees.

As more Blu-ray players are sold, and more companies enter the market, the prices will continue to decline. It’s called a market economy. That’s what happens.

Yes, many of us love to bash Sony, and I’ve done my share. But I read where Panasonic actually holds more Blu-ray patents than Sony. Maybe we should pick M$ as the new enemy. BTW, M$ never confirmed there’s an Xbox360 with a built in HD DVD drive coming. Don’t hold your breath waiting for it. Maybe a future M$ product meant to serve as a home media center (like the PS3 does today) might have a Blu-ray player in it. But M$ clearly wants to move folks along to digital downloads. You know, where you download a nice HD movie overnight and then have 1-3 days to watch it before it self destructs? Only available, of course, to people with really good broadband connections.

Quoting an article from 2006 saying there’s a blue diode shortage is ridiculous. That shortage was fixed long ago, and prices dropped. There are several sources today.

And yes, the HD DVD players are good upscalers for regular DVDs. Just like Blu-ray players.

There’s an improved DVE HD Basics calibration disc due out the end of May for both HD DVD and Blu-ray. Anyone think the improved HD DVD version will actually get released? Especially since there’s an earlier HD DVD version out today?

I'm going to have to take another look at the Amazon BD sale. I don't think we're going to see as many of these sales in the future.

And in conclusion on this post- think sales of the PS3 are about to take another leap upward?

is this news on WBs page? I'm just wondering if it's really true

Yes, also Toshiba has confirmed.

Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment of Its Exclusive... | Reuters

Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment of Its
Exclusive Support for Blu-ray Disc Format

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.'
decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there
are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of
HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close
partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize
the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its
next-generation successor.
We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of
the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other
regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market
in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD
DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in
our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the
consumer.
Press Contact
Corporate Communications Office
Keisuke Ohmori
+81-3-3457-2105
www.toshiba.co.jp/contact/media.htm

SOURCE Toshiba

Keisuke Ohmori, Corporate Communications Office of Toshiba, +81-3-3457-2105

" Another even bigger issue is the threat of the industry moving to a Web-based distribution model for movies. This will bypass the two high-def formats altogether, possibly making the current battle moot. Much like the recording industry has seen sales of music plummet as consumers buy or steal tracks online, buying and renting movies could head in the same direction.
That means there may not be a victor at all in this format war. "

Blu-ray gets big win, but high-def format war far from over - MarketWatch

Who have to buy their blue ray lasers from ?

Sony's Running into Blu-Ray Production Issues news from 1UP.com

It's not Sony Hating its just economics. You guys got the win. Now lets see what happens because of it.

I have a prediction and you have one. Mine is based on watching the market and companies practices (MS isn't that clean either) yours is based on your jubilation. *shrug*

Wow, you pull out an article from August 2006!!!! Man, you are really hurting!! The laser problem was over in April 2007 -- where have you been?

I just dont see downloads working for a long time.

*) Wheres the internet speeds we need

*) Wheres the storage space Ill need for own 100 hd movies

*) will I ever own them or will I get a drm issue when I try and play one Ive had for many months.

Bullsh!t.

Where Is Verbano?
QUOTE]

V-U-R-B-A-N-O

Hey, lay off Vurbano. I am sure he is hurting like alot of other staunch HD-DVD supporters. He knows that this is the first nail in HD-DVD's coffin. Why rub it in. If it were an announcement of Warner going HD-DVD I am sure I would be shocked and feeling a little smacked right now. So give Vurbano some space -- he'll be back with the first FUD saying Disney will be going purple -- you just wait and see.

Let's see: buy a $300 player, connect it to my HTS, and buy some disks for $20-$30, or rent through Netflix and Blockbuster.

OR, upgrade my computer processor and graphics card, buy a Terabyte+ server for $500+, subscribe to a T1 or better internet connection to view HD movies on my computer. Nice try M$.

Guys come on. Warners made a choice. Yiu can't just deny it. It ws on thing to say back in November that they were going to announce they were going HD DVD nd that you had a reading comprehension problem if yuo could not see that and another to say it isn't true even after the announcement is made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)