RG-6 Cable Connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary Z

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Seguin, Texas
The connection that attaches to my receiver from the LNB seems to be loose. If I move the receiver, I lose signal. I'm wonder will that loose connection give me a weaker signal quality?

Sounds like it will not affect your signal quality as such, but you will have an intermittent connection problem until you get it fixed!

You can easily fix that for less than a buck using side cutters and a twist-on RG-6 connector.

... but about $35 will get you a halfway decent quality stripper/crimper set (the type which makes a hexagonal crimp on the collar of the connector) and a small box connectors.

The tools will last a lifetime of occasional use ... and it's great to be able to fabricate a nice neat patch cord of exactly the right length whenever you need one ... RG-6 is very inexpensive by the foot when compared to ready-made patch cords.

I am actually surprised how much I use my tools/connectors, etc. I bought a 1000' box of rg-6 for the same price as 2 - 100' pre made cables locally.

Another option for your F-connectors is the compression-type fittings. These are made by companies such as F-Conn, Digicon, PPC, and Snap N Seal. They provide a 360 degree seal to your shielding, are very weather-resistant (compared with either twist- or crimp-on fittings), and will withstand far more force before coming off. Cable and satellite installers now use these exclusively.

The compression tool for installing these can be had for as little as $15, and is available from Lowes as well as the gold sponsors here.

The compression fittings do look like a more durable solution. If the tools are the same price or less expensive I'd say that's the way to go.

I love compression fittings. There's an expensive compression tool made by Cable Pro that I'm considering purchasing that will do RCA and BNC compression fittings in addition to F. Just a bit reluctant to pay $75-$80 for it...

But the plain 'F' connector tools are very reasonable.

I picked up a compression tool from E-bay for around $20 plus shipping and it works pretty well. The compression fittings are more expensive than the regular crimp ones but in my opinion it's well worth it, they're as close to a water tight connection as you're gonna get.

Even though compression fittings are more expensive than crimp on type, but I highly recommend them for any professional install job. I have noticed in the last 6 months increase in demand for these fittings from most installers as compared to the crimp-on.

The big orange store sells two sizes of those connectors for different kinds of RG6 so naturally I got the wrong kind. Some are black(RG6 quad) and some are blue in the Ideal brand. I've also seen red ones, so make sure you get the right kind of connectors for your cable. It seems that being for RG6 isn't all you need to know.

Going to a real satellite dealer might eliminate that kind of mistake. I doubt if they would let you buy a roll of RG6 and a pack of incompatible connectors to go with it.

I would avoid most of the fittings they are selling at the home improvement stores. They are usually low-grade, cheaply made versions of the professional ones the CATV and satellite guys use--marked up to $2-$4 APIECE!

Good brands to look for are PPC-EX6, Digicon DS6UT or DS6Q, Thomas & Betts Snap N Seal, and F-Conn FS6U. The Zenith connectors at Lowe's are okay, but at more than $2 PER FITTING, I'd look online (the gold sponsors are a good place to start :) )

some info for ya

The connectors at HD are actual PPC connectors, its just that they're not EX's and hence are not universal, black is 6 quad, blue is 6 standard or tri-shield, and red is 59 Quad. They are meant to compete with SNS, Digi, PCT, Holland, etc.

Mastec uses them...

The Home Depot varieties also seems to lack the weather proofing rings that the EX series have. When I first handled an EX6 from the cable company, it was difficult for me to believe they were made by the same manufacturer. I'm sure the wholesale price difference is considerable, which is probably why the home improvement stores opt to carry the cheaper connector.

I have to admit the cmp's weathertightness is not as solid as the ex but its not bad either, its very comparable to the sns in testing. As far as the price thing, well it is a giant markup, I'm quite sure the re-sellers didn't pay more than what a cable or satellite company would and yet they charge the big bucks to get them. Its no wonder many general contractors use crimps or get a cable hook-up to "borrow" them off their truck.

I avoid the "twist on" and "crimp on" connectors like the plague. A basic "Ideal" brand compression tool, $19, cable stripper, $14, and 50 compression connectors, $28, can be purchased at Lowes. They are perfect for weekend hackers like me. The connectors lack a weather ring, but I simply cover them with a rubber boot when used outdoors. I installed one of my UHF antennas more than 4 years ago, and more recently a Star Choice 75cm dish, and the weather boots keep them in good shape.

I hear and agree, twist on and crimp is just bad business. The idea of any install is to do the install, satisified customer, get paid, never look back AND GET REFERALS down the road. Both crimp and twist on almost guarantee trouble calls and upset customers, neither of which get you referals! So just how much do you save with cheap crimp connectors? How much is your time worth to redo your work with a irrate customer breathing down your neck?

Here is a popular Paladin installation kit that we sell:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Install/70018.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Attachments

• compcon.jpg
    compcon.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 153
  • comp-tool.jpg
    comp-tool.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 134
  • cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 127
  • stripper.jpg
    stripper.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 70018.gif
    70018.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll input my findings as well as im an installer. I use crimp and compression fittings (rca, bnc, and fconn), I use snap n seal compression fittings on new rg6, they work great. I use crimp connectors on old rg6. I found as rg6 gets older and stiffer that the compression fittings dont hold, it doesnt take much to pull em off. now im sure someone will say 'then dont use old coax' well sometimes the coax is allready there and it would be a huge job to change it, the coax is still in good shape, its just stiff from age, incase I use crimp connectors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)