road warrior on retroplex hd looks pretty darn good!

timbuckone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I am noticing that the hd channels coming from the 72 bird look very good. I think alot better than the hd on 61.5. This is the clearest that I have ever watched the road warrior in hd that is playing on retroplex hd.

Yes, both indie/retro are nice additions............

However, displaying "Our Man/In Like Flint", and other's in partial screen instead of the original OAR, is very disappointing.

Can someone please tell me why most of the movie channels, outside of HD Net Movies & TCM do this.

I am noticing that the hd channels coming from the 72 bird look very good. I think alot better than the hd on 61.5. This is the clearest that I have ever watched the road warrior in hd that is playing on retroplex hd.

Other factors may be involved, but at the very least the bitrates on the mux carrying RetroPlex and IndiePlex are significantly higher than most of Dish's transponders across the satellites I can see (all except 129W). Only 5 channels active in it right now in the 40 Mbps mux. It's typical for transponders to be carrying 8 HD channels these days, and some have 9 (or the equivalent of 9 due to several special, moderate-bitrate data streams being present).

To balance out this generous giving of bits on some transponders on 72W, Dish has taken away many of the bits from at least one transponder (12.311 GHz) on 110W, forcing about 10 Mbps of NULL data into a 40 Mbps mux with 6 HD channels. Somebody working there must like to hand out artificial, unnecessary bitrate reductions since those channels had been enjoying better-than-average treatment for quite some time.

Retroplex HD has been a major disappointment. I was expecting real classics like TCM shows instead they show movies from the 80's and 90's more. Even worse is that they don't show them OAR but up-convert a cruddy 480i SD picture and pillar-box it. I hope Dish Network adds TCM-HD please.

Tim,

I've been catching several of the Films on Retro HD and IndiePlex HD (I added a 129 Dish to my 110/119/61.5 installation).

The picture quality on both of these channels is generally vastly better than most of the rest of Dish's HD channels. I also believe this is due to the higher bitrate these channels are currently receiving, although I doubt this will continue into the future.

I watched the original Rockie the other night and the PQ was outstanding, very very close to a well mastered BD.

John

I watched the original Rockie the other night and the PQ was outstanding, very very close to a well mastered BD.

I watched Rocky 2 on Retro when we first got the channel and then again on Blu Ray this weekend - and the image quality was nearly identical.

I am sad that many of the movies are not in HD at all - Fletch and Brazil both would have been great in HD and not window-boxed SD.

I get my signal from 129, watched The Road Warrior twice, The picture was grainy and broke up many times. None of my other channels do this. I really like the programing, but the PQ is terrible. I have a separate dish for 129, I adapter and signal strength of +60 on trans. 18.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts