Roof Leak from dish... I pay for it, AND to move Dish?

MoiMare

Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I got Dish network installed two years ago, was OK until now, but now I have a leak from the roof into the attic, and water stains on ceiling and wall :eek:, right below Dish.
Dish is on lowest part of sloped shingle roof, close to one corner of the two story house. I signed up for service thru my phone company, Sothwestern Bell (ATT now). I called to ask them to fix the problem and move the dish to a sidewall. They want me to pay $99 to move it :mad:, if the installer caused the problem I don't think I should pay anything to correct it (by moving the dish), and probably they should pay for fixing the leak and damage to the sheetrock. Any ideas of how to deal with this? :confused:

Thanks for the quick reply Stone, I will give that a try but sounds like a really longshot.
If anyone has other ideas please let me hear from you...

ceo@echostar.com has a pretty good track record of repling
please in clude your name account number and phone number in email to them
my guess is you should get a reply via phonecall by tueday at latest as its the weekend now
good luck
please let us know how it turns out

I had a leak caused by my install. It didn't show itself until 2 years after the install. I called Dish CS and explained everything to them. They had a roofer out within 48 hours.

Email ceo@echostar.com like others have said.
This is why I very rarely install a dish on a roof, and then, I have the customer sign a statement that they approve, and assume all responsibilites.

He signed through Southern Bell (AT&T), will the ceo@echostar.com people be able to help him since he signed through AT&T?

This is why I would never allowed a dish on my roof. Yes, it was probably a bad installer but I'm not taking a chance.

I agree, roof mounts are bad news. Even my OTA antenna is on a pole in the back yard. (my wife said no way is that ugly thing gonna be attached to our house!)

Most people only want the free install and think they shouldn't have to pay for anything like that.

I had a salesperson tell a customer he could have his dish mounted anyway he liked. He took that to mean that I would install an in motion system in his RV for free. ROFLMAO @ that moron.

When I do a roof mount (in which I try to avoid if possible) I put it on the overhang of the house so if it were to leak in the future, it would no leak inside of the house. I also use that clear silicone to put around the bolt threads before putting it into the wood then seal it off after the bolt is in. I've never had a complaint of a leak in the 8 years I have put them in.

My daughter had her DishNetwork dish blown over due to rotted wood where the installed bolts (2) leaked into her attic for 2 years. She called E* and they told her to call the local retailer who told her to call E* who told her to call local retailer, etc. She finally gave up and said she would pay to have it reinstalled BUT they couldn't get to her for 2 weeks and would charge her $250.00!!

She called Direct TV and got a new install and roof repaired for free the NEXT DAY. She will never deal with E* again.

I got Dish network installed two years ago, was OK until now, but now I have a leak from the roof into the attic, and water stains on ceiling and wall :eek:, right below Dish.
Dish is on lowest part of sloped shingle roof, close to one corner of the two story house. I signed up for service thru my phone company, Sothwestern Bell (ATT now). I called to ask them to fix the problem and move the dish to a sidewall. They want me to pay $99 to move it :mad:, if the installer caused the problem I don't think I should pay anything to correct it (by moving the dish), and probably they should pay for fixing the leak and damage to the sheetrock. Any ideas of how to deal with this? :confused:
That is correct..The install is guaranteed for one year from the date of install.In fact it's( the one year waranty of the install) in your service agreement that you signed on the date of the install...Dish nor the retailer or installer can actually know what is causing the leak..It very well could be a the dish mount but I can tell you that if you are expecting the installer to be perpetually responsible for any pratfalls of having a satellite dish on your roof you are mistaken..
Just think of the consequences if that was true..just suppose for a moment that the install had a lifetime guarantee..Meaning that as long as the dish was there any leak around the area of the mast foot would be the respsanibity of the installer or Dish network....Therer would never be another roof mount...If the customer ddin't have line of sight from the ground then no install.....
I am sorry you have a leak and I would hope the installer did his job correctly.. given the time since the install was done and the time you discovered the leak(two years)it seems the job was done correctly..That is of course unless it hasn't rained since the day you got your system...
Think about it..If the job was doen wrong the roof would have leaked the first time there was a rainfall, would it not?

Do this..Check in the attic and see if there is a water stain trail on the underside of the roof sheathing...you would stand a better chance of finding the source of the leak...It's possible it's not the dish at all..
We had one like this a few weeks ago.....I did an install and used the existing mast that had been there for a long time..I even resealed the mastfoot for good emasure with amore silicone.....Soem weeks later the customer filed a damage claim..her contection was the dish install caused a roof leak...My supe went tp the site and checked the underside of the roof shaething and discovered the flashing at a roof penetraing vent stack pipe was the source of the leak.....Sge was pretty upset and insistsed it was the dish but when my supe told her she wasn't getting a dime out of us she finally told him that she had better contact a roofer....

When I do a roof mount (in which I try to avoid if possible) I put it on the overhang of the house so if it were to leak in the future, it would no leak inside of the house. I also use that clear silicone to put around the bolt threads before putting it into the wood then seal it off after the bolt is in. I've never had a complaint of a leak in the 8 years I have put them in.
9 years for me....I am the silcone king..I will load that thing up(neatly) so it never leaks..I have never had a roof leak complaint ..Ever..I make sure their is nothing left to chance.. I go over all aspects of the job before I so much as take a tool off my truck. I have the customer ALWAYS sign off on the entire install before I leave the site......They undersatnd that they approved the job ..We gurantee the job for a year..After that it's on the customer..One year is reasonable in any trade involving home construction or alteration..We can't be held liable forever..That would send this business right down the toilet..could you imagine a guy coming after you 5 years after the fact to pay for a new roof?
My response to that would be "see you in court...In about 5 years"....

ReaD THE back of your service agreement, you did sign a service agreement didn't you?....

SERVICE AGREEMENT TERMS

Terms and Conditions #4...
CUSTOMR agrees to fully realease and hold DNS and DISH NETWORK, and subcontractors, harmless from any damages resulting from the istallation of any equipment, inluding without limitation,installation of the DISH antenna, coaxial cable, or receivers.

I have that in my contract especially since I had someone complain about having to pay for the satellite system threatening to sue because it would leave holes AFTER I take it back down because they want to have the system for free wanting a full refund! Most people are not like this but some will blame a satellite installer for damages done that is not done as a result of the installation of the system. People cannot be on the hook forever when something goes wrong. The satellite system is not guaranteed forever and neither is a car or television or a computer.

I think 12 months is a good amount of time to see i a leak or problem will occur. I can see where there would be some cases where a roof leak might occur in a few years after the install if water go through somehow where it was not sealed good enough. However, some roof's are not as good as others and some may even be partially rotted and it is hard to tell what problems the wood of the roof has (lath, plywood, rafters, etc) since it is covered over in shingles.

Some may compare this to vent pipes that go up through a roof leaking after a certain amount of time and having to reseal them again. Things will eventually need resealed. Sometimes its a few years later, sometimes its five years or ten years later. It may have been sealed good to begin with then the seal may have broken later. It is sometimes hard to tell if it was due to a bad seal job to begin with.

My daughter had her DishNetwork dish blown over due to rotted wood where the installed bolts (2) leaked into her attic for 2 years. She called E* and they told her to call the local retailer who told her to call E* who told her to call local retailer, etc. She finally gave up and said she would pay to have it reinstalled BUT they couldn't get to her for 2 weeks and would charge her $250.00!!

She called Direct TV and got a new install and roof repaired for free the NEXT DAY. She will never deal with E* again.
Well that's very nice she got her roof repaired for free....Question: How was the Dish technician supposed to know her roof was in disreapair ..
This is what gets me...People who don't take care of their stuff and expect somone else to pay up....
Two years huh? If a guy worked on my roof and I found a leak, I'd be in touch with the guy in two hours...
This free roof repair story sounds very fishy..Who repaired the roof?..At who's expense?....Looks like you're implying that DTV fixed the roof .....

I have that in my contract especially since I had someone complain about having to pay for the satellite system threatening to sue because it would leave holes AFTER I take it back down because they want to have the system for free wanting a full refund! Most people are not like this but some will blame a satellite installer for damages done that is not done as a result of the installation of the system. People cannot be on the hook forever when something goes wrong. The satellite system is not guaranteed forever and neither is a car or television or a computer.

I think 12 months is a good amount of time to see i a leak or problem will occur. I can see where there would be some cases where a roof leak might occur in a few years after the install if water go through somehow where it was not sealed good enough. However, some roof's are not as good as others and some may even be partially rotted and it is hard to tell what problems the wood of the roof has (lath, plywood, rafters, etc) since it is covered over in shingles.

Some may compare this to vent pipes that go up through a roof leaking after a certain amount of time and having to reseal them again. Things will eventually need resealed. Sometimes its a few years later, sometimes its five years or ten years later. It may have been sealed good to begin with then the seal may have broken later. It is sometimes hard to tell if it was due to a bad seal job to begin with.

People generally will look to others to cover them for their irresponsibilty....there's a poster in here who wanted to blame Dish because the area of the roof the dish was placed upon was rotted..The poster also claimed the roof leaked for two years..THEN they called dish to complain......If I were the tech I would have told them good luck go ahead and sue..You'll lose..And expect to see a counter suit....
I hate it thta I have to cover myself on every aspect of a job..People's over reactions and their willingness to avail themselves of the civil courts have me getting signatures for everything....Heck I had a customer once accuse of damaging her roof even though I used the existing mast AND I resealed the damn thing....The complaint went nowhere...She tried to say that she didon't sign off on th install...But we had the copy of the paperwork right there.."Ma'am, here's your signature right here"....
Bottom line is even though I establish a nice repore with most customers, I don't trust them.....Lawsuits have made me suspicious of everyone......That's the way it is...As long as I am very clear on documentatation I'm covered.....

But this 2 yr old roof leak thing bugs me ....To thin that the tech should be held liable after two years is just plain unreasonable..Especially when the customer says they knew about a leak for the last two years..If they knw it was from the dish , then why did they not inquire right away.....IMO they're full of crap..That's why

It's the old CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Just consider an analogous situation like a toilet set on a wax seal. If the customer were to discover a leak on the ceiling two years after the replacement of the seal, the customer would be laughed out of court.

First, the customer has the responsibilty of observing a problem and notifying the plumber as soon as there is a problem. A 90 day warranty is valid, if the customer signed the work order specifying that all is in order and agrees with the 90 day warranty. That's why I read everything I sign. Remember, the fine print is always the most important part of the contract.

A prudent homeowner bears a prudent legal responsibility to be aware of problems or conditions in his own home. If the underside of the deck of the roof is clearly visible from the attic at the place under the dish, a prudent homeowner inspects it for leaks at least twice a year; once in the spring and another in the fall.

If the leak has been continuous for two years, the homeowner is apparently negligent in failing to notify the installer or Dish Network.

Since two years has past, at least one year beyond a reasonable and expected warranty, and there is NO means of determining when the leak started, the homeowner would be at a loss to get a valid judgement.

Just because there is a dish mounted on the structure, there is no expected or implied warranty that the satellite company guarantee the integrety of the rest of the structure.

The satellite company, however, may at it's own discretion repair the roof as a matter of customer satisfaction, repair the roof anyway. They are, in reality, not responsible.

The longer you wait the more damage there would be. Some people would probably attempt to wait as long as possible in order to get more components in their home replaces if they could get away with it. Nobody is going to pay for a roof repair two years after the satellite dish is installed. Even if a roofer comes and puts you a new roof on. If you have a roofer replace your roof do they even guarantee them for two years?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)