Root cause of guide not updating?

boomerang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
Michigan
Last night I noticed I only had 1 hour of the guide left on my 722. I came here and found that I needed to do a check switch to get it to download. I had already tried a power button and pull the plug reset.

So anyway, does anyone know what causes this? Just curious really.

As a side issue somehow the parameters for "new" shows got reset. My recording list was packed with shows from years ago that suddenly the receiver thought were "new".

I do a lot of computer work and I often tell customers that the reason for unexplainable, but easily corrected problems is "A stray cosmic ray hit the computer". They laugh. Sometimes there's no clear cut answer though. So I'll accept that explanation for this. :D

Is your receiver on 24/7? The receiver performs a daily update and that's when it updates the guide.
I power it off in the evening from the remote. My understanding was that it was still on though from the perspective of updates, but correct me if I'm wrong. I must say though, that I've had this receiver for nearly two years and this is maybe the second time I've had the problem. I went from a two dish setup to EA within the last month but I don't think that could be a contributing factor.

Once again, I'm curious more that anything at this point. Now, if it gets to be a continuing problem...

The 1 hour guide is on a different satellite then the 8 day one, a reboot usually forces the guide to update.

What happens when you get to the end of the guide? Does it update then?

Interesting about the software update, I haven't seen the problem on the 722 receiver.

This happened to me the other day. when I tried to scroll right I got a popup asking if I wanted to update the guide. Five minutes later it was done.

What happens when you get to the end of the guide? Does it update then?

Interesting about the software update, I haven't seen the problem on the 722 receiver.
I'd have to try this in a day or so. Right now, I'm only lacking a few hours when 9 days out and when scrolling all the way to it, nothing happens. No pop up.

Yes, the receiver goes into standby mode when you power it off and it should then perform the updates at the time you have it set to. Strange that is not doing it automatically.

Just curious about this...our installer said to always leave the receivers on and only turn off the TV. Any idea why he gave that advice? Would it have to do with updates or just a possible delay in acquiring signal? Would they use that much extra power for me to worry about? Two VIP 722 receivers. Thanks!

Hope this doesn't appear as an attempt to hijack the thread since it was kinda along the same line of questioning. ;)

He's full of it

Just curious about this...our installer said to always leave the receivers on and only turn off the TV. Any idea why he gave that advice? Would it have to do with updates or just a possible delay in acquiring signal? Would they use that much extra power for me to worry about? Two VIP 722 receivers. Thanks!

Hope this doesn't appear as an attempt to hijack the thread since it was kinda along the same line of questioning. ;)

It makes no difference if you leave it on. After 3 hrs of non use it will go into stand by anyway (unless it has been set otherwise). Mine is set for 4 hrs.

Stand-by delay can be turned off, I do. Make sure your daily reset (Menu+8+4) is set to a time you are not using it or recording on it. If using, it should ask for permission to reset. If recording, it may decide to not reboot. After say 2 days without a reboot, it may do that anyway by getting confused or like after excessive selections or continuous recordings for long times.

The "1-hour guide" is a 2-program guide, look at it, and does load from most satellites, not just 119 or 72.7 for the 9-day one on DVR receivers, IIRC. I have used moving to the right many times but other times it does not work or works only if all channels are limited to 2 programs because of an aborted guide load.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)