OTA channel guide not populating.

Did you rescan your ota locals? If not clear out all the ota channels then rescan them and see if the guide comes back the next day. Sometimes ota channels will move locations or add new sub channels. Wouldn't hurt to unplug and wait a minute then plug back in to help clear any glitches. You can also use tools to force a guide down load as well.

Is it all your OTA locals, or just the Big 4? I wish would pull the PSIP data from the OTA stream to populate the guide, so they’d have data for sub-channels, but Dish has said they’ll only “guarantee” Big 4…

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have this same problem on a Hopper 3 and 2 joey's Los Angeles Area 13.1 shows programming of 11.1 . not Channel 13 like it should. This happened after they switched to atsc 3.0. I called dish and they informed me OTA channels do not have a guaranteed guide. The CR asked me silly questions about my outside Antenna proving he had no clue.

The CR asked me silly questions about my outside Antenna proving he had no clue.

1693222667133.gif

Have this same problem on a Hopper 3 and 2 joey's Los Angeles Area 13.1 shows programming of 11.1 . not Channel 13 like it should. This happened after they switched to atsc 3.0. I called dish and they informed me OTA channels do not have a guaranteed guide. The CR asked me silly questions about my outside Antenna proving he had no clue.

Dish does not seem to care about fixing their Guide. Fox 28 moved their OTA broadcast from 28.1 to 6.3 when the ATSC 3.0 was launched on January 8, 2021 in Columbus Ohio. Channel 28.1 became TBD.

It has now been two years and 7 months and I have repeatedly reported this to Dish.
The Dish Guide for Channel 6.3 just says Fox28 and channel 28.1 shows the Fox 28 programming in the Guide even though it is actually TBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dish does not seem to care about fixing their Guide. Fox 28 moved their OTA broadcast from 28.1 to 6.3 when the ATSC 3.0 was launched on January 8, 2021 in Columbus Ohio. Channel 28.1 became TBD.

It has now been three years and 7 months and I have repeatedly reported this to Dish.
The Dish Guide for Channel 6.3 just says Fox28 and channel 28.1 shows the Fox 28 programming in the Guide even though it is actually TBD.

Tbh it's not really dish's responsibility. Plus they have other things that are way above ota channels in priority. Should just be lucky that dish makes an adapter to even add your ota to the hopper. You can always connect direct to your TV and see if it works any better. Or you can lookup upcoming programming pine as well.

Tbh it's not really dish's responsibility. Plus they have other things that are way above ota channels in priority. Should just be lucky that dish makes an adapter to even add your ota to the hopper. You can always connect direct to your TV and see if it works any better. Or you can lookup upcoming programming pine as well.
I cannot agree with you about Dish's responsibility. One of the first things you are asked when you call to negotiate your bill is if you can receive local channels OTA. Why would they attempt to get you to change your package if they didn't bear some of the responsibility. As has been stated in this forum, they seem to semi-attempt to provide guide information for the Big-4 networks. Maybe Dish does have higher priority items than the OTA channels they are nudging the customer to. But people who receive locals OTA are customers.

With all of that said, since the ATSC 3.0 conversion, my CW channel has an ABC listing. I have had to lock that channel out because my Hopper would sometimes record 21-1 (the real CW) as if it was an ABC program, ignoring the real ABC at 68-2. Losing CW was not a loss to me. However CW is increasing its programming to include sports which might make it a problem. I guess my next step will be to contact Nexstar, not that they would care.

Fox 28 moved their OTA broadcast from 28.1 to 6.3 when the ATSC 3.0 was launched on January 8, 2021 in Columbus Ohio.

It has now been three years and 7 months and I have repeatedly reported this to Dish.
Maybe two years and 7 months ;) but point well taken. Similar problem in Birmingham.

This is a horrible response from a DISH rep. Of course it's their responsibility. They build the hardware to incorporate OTA into a customer's viewing experience. They not only offer, but encourage their customers to use the OTA capability. They've even provided adapters and antennas to customers.

Hooking directly to the TV tuner or looking up programming online is not a viable answer. The guide needs to be correct in order to use the multitude of DVR features which DISH furnishes and charges for. A good faith effort by DISH to get this correct would go a long way toward providing value for the customer's dollar.

I do agree with one thing you wrote...............this is a very low priority at DISH.

This is a horrible response from a DISH rep. Of course it's their responsibility. They build the hardware to incorporate OTA into a customer's viewing experience. They not only offer, but encourage their customers to use the OTA capability. They've even provided adapters and antennas to customers.

Hooking directly to the TV tuner or looking up programming online is not a viable answer. The guide needs to be correct in order to use the multitude of DVR features which DISH furnishes and charges for. A good faith effort by DISH to get this correct would go a long way toward providing value for the customer's dollar.

I do agree with one thing you wrote...............this is a very low priority at DISH.
Explain how acquiring channel data from ota signals that dish cannot control nor are payed from the stations is their responsibility. It's more like they are kind enough to spend money to acquire them for you at no additional cost to you. And they don't encourage you to use ota, because they want that $12 per month, however they will go out of their way to provide you ota equipment to keep you from switching to another provider. Again they absolutely do not have to do anything regarding ota channels but they choose to help retain customers.

Explain how acquiring channel data from ota signals that dish cannot control
DISH is already paying for the guide data. It's a matter of making sure that it is assigned to the proper channel. This has been demonstrated several times here on SatGuys through a member here who got it done for a number of channels. DISH certainly can control that if they choose.
And they don't encourage you to use ota
If you'll go back five years or so in SatGuys, you'll find several examples of where DISH encouraged members to use OTA, even furnishing them with equipment.
they will go out of their way to provide you ota equipment to keep you from switching to another provider. Again they absolutely do not have to do anything regarding ota channels
Don't you find these two statements contradictory? It's like your saying that if Ford furnishes heated seats in their F150 in order to keep customers from buying a Dodge, they have nothing to do with whether the seats work or not. DISH furnishes the OTA adapter and even the antenna at times, they certainly have a responsibility to see that the equipment integrates with their receivers for a pleasant customer experience.

It has now been two years and 7 months and I have repeatedly reported this to Dish.

Can you send me a picture and quick explanation along with your receiver ID - you should be getting info on your big 4 (FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC) anything else is not guaranteed (very unlikely to be in the data stream).

Columbus and Birmingham are a result of Sinclair's shenanigans to stay under the ownership caps by moving network affiliations to subchannels of the stations they own, and putting diginets on the primaries of the station owned by one of their shell companies. Over the past decade they did the same thing in other markets like Beaumont, Cedar Rapids, Charleston SC, Charleston-Huntington WV, Chattanooga, Dayton, Harrisburg, South Bend, Tallahassee and Vegas.

Birmingham is really complicated as "ABC 33/40" is now on 4 different stations to give it marketwide OTA coverage:
17.2 WDBB-D2
40.2 WGWW-D2
58.1 WBMA-LD
68.2 WABM-D2

For Columbus OH "Fox 28" is now on 6.3 WSYX-D3

For Beaumont "Fox 4" is now on 6.3 KFDM-D3

For Cedar Rapids "Fox 28" is now on 2.2 KGAN-D2

For Charleston SC "ABC 4" is now on 36.2 WCIV-D2

For Charleston-Huntington WV "Fox 11" is now on 8.2 WCHS-D2

For Chattanooga "Fox 61" is now on 9.2 WTVC-D2

For Dayton "Fox 45" is now on 22.2 WKEF-D2

For South Bend "Fox 28" is now on 22.2 WSBT-D2

For Tallahassee "Fox 49" is now on 40.2 WTWC-D2

For Harrisburg "CW 15" is now on 21.3 WHP-D3

For Las Vegas "My 21" is now on 33.2 KVCW-D2 (however due to KVCW's RF 29 signal becoming their NextGen lighthouse, it's physically on KSNV's RF 22 signal)

Last edited:
Can you send me a picture and quick explanation along with your receiver ID - you should be getting info on your big 4 (FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC) anything else is not guaranteed (very unlikely to be in the data stream).

Josh,

I have 2 Hopper3 receivers and a Joey3 client.
Family Room Hopper3
Living Room Hopper3

In January 2021 FOX broadcast channel changed from 28.1 to 6.3 due to the ATSC 3.0 broadcast change in Columbus, Ohio.
So channel 6.3 now carries Fox 28 and channel 28.1 is not Fox but TMD.

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

Last edited: