Rumor Alert! Dish Network May Finally be Coming to Windows Media Center - Draco

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
CEDIA is week away, rumor has it that Microsoft is overhauling their Media Center features with upcoming windows 7 and new DRM / hardware support and partnerships.

If you remember there was project name DRACO, beta testing project to use VIP211 as tuner for HTPC. Although Scott said it was buggy, more than year away and may not even make it to public.

However it has been reported that beta tester have tested VIP211 with special firmware and it appears to be in very solid form and ready for primetime. However at the end of beta testing Dish took all of VIP222 back from tester.

I have been waiting and following up on this news for more than year, looks like it is finally going to be available to die-hard media center fans. (on personal note, I jumped off of Dish boat last week and going with FIOS...:()

One bad news is DRM on Dish recording is going to be very stiff while MS is relaxing DRM on Cablecard with "PlayReady".

DISCLAIMER; This is just rumor,so take it with grain of salt and don't come after my head if it turns out to be fault....

Last edited:
Hmmm. The same goes for the EHD on the 211 vs the 222, which has never been released. I wonder if these features are related?

Darn good rumor IMHO. ;)

Huh? The EHD functionality has been available on the 211 for months now, but may never be available on the 222. Perhaps that is what you meant.

It would be GREAT to be able to use the 222 as a two-tuner solution for WMC recording. I wonder how they are moving the data stream from the 211 to the PC - a Firewire add-in or something?

I have no idea what this is supposed to accomplish. Why take a perfectly good general-purpose computer and infest it with the abomination that is DRM?

Huh? The EHD functionality has been available on the 211 for months now, but may never be available on the 222. Perhaps that is what you meant.

It would be GREAT to be able to use the 222 as a two-tuner solution for WMC recording. I wonder how they are moving the data stream from the 211 to the PC - a Firewire add-in or something?

It different from EHD functionality. EHD is limited to receiver, while Media Center recorded content can be viewed (IF DRM is relaxed) on many device, i.e. Zune, video player, other PC, Extender and even DLNA certified devices.

Data is not moving. 211 connects to PC with USB (although first it was using CAT5) and it leaves receiver useless but to be used as TV tuner or should I say HDTV tuner;)

Beta tester were only supplied VIP211 , so I don't think they are going to 222. I and many other will take 2 of 211 in heartbeat for dual HD tuner capability.

I have no idea what this is supposed to accomplish. Why take a perfectly good general-purpose computer and infest it with the abomination that is DRM?

I can understand where you are coming from. If you have not use Media Center or unaware of it, then it may not be big fuss to many, but here something you will be able to do:

- Connect 1 or 2 VIP211 to PC
- Record HD content
- Live TV & recording can be view on upto 8 TVs with Extender or Xbox 360
- No need for additional Dish receiver
- Save your dish DVR fee (6 x 12 = $72 or $140+ yearly for 2 DVR)
- Save on Dish receiver lease fee after 2; (5 x 12 = $60 or $120+ yearly for 2)
- Have best DVR functionality through your house; even better then VIP722.
- Remotely View and share content, i.e. Zune, video player, other PCs and DLNA devices, however it is subject to DRM.
- Remote access to live TV, A.K.A. free sling without Slingbox or upcoming 922.
- and much more.

Many says, you can't explain in words what DVR will do to your TV watching experience to those you haven't used DVR. Same goes for explaining VMC (vista media....), User interface is 10 times better, browsing movies guide is wickedly awesome and let you cross search with credit information. I am talking detail credit i.e. producer, direector, actors...sports has score ticker built in ...

And if you wanna go in gray area, you are talking hulu, youtube, facebook, netflix, npr....boys I can go on and on but post is getting very long.

Again I can't explain VMC to DVR user, until you try it personally. It is WAY better than 722 DVR and save you good amount of money, atleast in my case.

P.S. did you know you have Media Center if you have Vista premium? many people don't know....

You seem sure that Dish isn't going to charge a recurring fee for this functionality. Have they actually stated such? Call me skeptical. Dish has never passed up an opportunity to invent a service fee.

You seem sure that Dish isn't going to charge a recurring fee for this functionality. Have they actually stated such? Call me skeptical. Dish has never passed up an opportunity to invent a service fee.

I can see them charging lease fee. Now the question is what is it they gonna call for firmware update? firmware fee?

We will have to wait and see how they exploit it....I meant seize the opportunity.

I dont believe this will be released at CEDIA, they will hold it for CES.

I have inquired and Echostar wont be at CEDIA, and for Dish Network it will not be the PR folks at the booth, just Dish employees trying to sign up retailers.

I dont believe this will be released at CEDIA, they will hold it for CES.

I have inquired and Echostar wont be at CEDIA, and for Dish Network it will not be the PR folks at the booth, just Dish employees trying to sign up retailers.

Oh man, you just faded all my hopes. You mostly have solid info but I am wishing your prediction is untrue.

Ben over at Engadget is very optimistic of Dish Tuner to be released at CEDIA.

CEDIA 2009 Windows Media Center predictions

dish_network_beta.jpg
From the aforementioned URL...

(Unfortunately I was not a party to this beta program.)

Just really hard picturing Dish & MS "kiss & make up."

But business is business, and the dollar is almighty.

Oh man, you just faded all my hopes. You mostly have solid info but I am wishing your prediction is untrue.

Ben over at Engadget is very optimistic of Dish Tuner to be released at CEDIA.

CEDIA 2009 Windows Media Center predictions

I talked with Ben before he posted that. At that time I haven't spoken to Dish about it and did not have their plans for Cedia.

BTW this is the Project Stargate which I have been refering to over the past year or two in the pub members area. :)

I talked with Ben before he posted that. At that time I haven't spoken to Dish about it and did not have their plans for Cedia.

BTW this is the Project Stargate which I have been refering to over the past year or two in the pub members area. :)

Come on man... tell me there is hope for HD recording in Media Center. Is Ben's resource legit? I am counting on you for good news....:hungry:

Is stargate different from Draco, or same fish?

I find it interesting that it theoretically allows you to use 4 dish receivers as tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts