Rumor Alert - Dish to offer all locals!

I used to think satellite could give you channels you can't get with cable. Until spotbeam technology came along I could get Philadelphia locals here in Wisconsin. Lucky for me, never again.

I used to think satellite could give you channels you can't get with cable. Until spotbeam technology came along I could get Philadelphia locals here in Wisconsin. Lucky for me, never again.

Spotbeam technology = tons more DMAs.... the downside is movers had to be somewhat close to the DMA.

what about areas that are on the edge of markets like my area where to the north is the Champaign market, south is the Evansville market, and the east is the Terre Haute market. and I'm in the st louis market with all the locals from STL. would Dish be able to give the locals off of the FCC's SV list again? if so that's great, gives folks in border DMA's more clout in choosing cable over dish.

I would not be surprised if Dish had a provision in their contract with ADD to cancel the TP usage. I suspect that if Dish had a full set of networks in every market they might end the ADD lease and get their 2 TPs back, hence no more distants available.

Frankly, I like it better that I don't have locals so I can get distant nets. I guess it was good while it lasted.

I hope they will allow neighboring DMA's. The thing is, wont they have to pay for the out of market locals as well? Wouldn't this increase prices quite a bit?

I'll believe it when I see it. Just one of a thousand promises Dish has made over the past 15 years. Hell, they can't even meet a 6 month committment on a reciever roll out or bringing a new provider on line or anything else you can think of. To sit there now and tell us that in TWO years they will have all the DMA's uplinked is beyond laughable. When I was first with Dish back in 2002, I was told our local DMA (binghamton, NY) would be up within months. Well here it is almost 8 years later and guess what ?

DISH Network has officially made an agreement to provide locals to all customers in the U.S. within the next 2 years.
In other words, we've gotten a Representative or Senator to write a bill the way we want it written and have our fingers crossed that this version of the bill will be passed by both the House and Senate. :D

Can you imagine the last few markets holding out to get a LOT more just because Dish would need them in order to reach this requirement?

If a station refuses to allow Dish to carry it (negotiations are locked) can Dish import a station from a neighboring DMA to fill the blank?

I would think if local stations dig their heels in there should be someway to short circuit their idiocy.

BTY, this is SD only - HD is not in the game.

BTY, this is SD only - HD is not in the game.
Well that sucks!

You appear to know something. Can you say that this announcement refers only to the big 4 in SD and not any other channels? How about digital subchannels which are generally SD?

Can you imagine the last few markets holding out to get a LOT more just because Dish would need them in order to reach this requirement?

I wonder if Dish could "provide" them but have them blacked out? In other words, allocate the bandwidth, list them in the guide, etc., but then put some kind of black out message to the effect that Dish is providing the channel, but the local broadcaster has chosen not to allow Dish customers to view their signal.

That way Charlie is technically providing them - with or without legislation or agreements - and putting the blame solely on the local broadcaster. Deceptive? Absolutely. Would it work? Maybe Would locals cave to the pressure? Yes, if Dish has a large enough base to make a difference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)