Sam's Club commercial locks receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ts7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
IL
There is a Sam's Club commercial that locks up my HR24 every time it appears. Changing the channel seems to clear it (until the next time it airs) but of course we then lose the capability of rewinding or catching up if paused. Has anyone else seen this? Any idea why this would be happening with this particular commercial?

There is a Sam's Club commercial that locks up my HR24 every time it appears. Changing the channel seems to clear it (until the next time it airs) but of course we then lose the capability of rewinding or catching up if paused. Has anyone else seen this? Any idea why this would be happening with this particular commercial?

It's possibly a locally-inserted commercial (downloaded to your HR24 and then played back in a commercial break). I've seen a few reports of some of these commercials locking up DVRs, but I don't think there is much you can do about it, maybe an e-mail to DirecTV will help.

I suspected that might be the case but couldn't rule out an issue with my DVR. I thought if others were seeing it as well it would confirm a problem with the spot and make it a little easier to prove to support. Thanks!

Let us know when it is airing and maybe we can confirm if it's local or not.

If he is seeing commercial "A" and everyone else is seeing "B" or "C", then it's a local to him ad.

No, just trying to figure out if it's local or national.

I reported it to customer service and they asked for more specifics but I have not seen the commercial since. The next time it happens I will gather exact time and channel info.

Thanks

The same thing happens to me when the DirecTV on demand commercials come on. I've only noticed it happen on CNN but not sure.

I have this issue happen from time to time. I usually will hit the replay button (the one to the left of stop) once. That seems to fix the issue until the lock occurs again.

I was watching tv today and paused it because I needed to do something. It unpaused itself to play the stupid DirecTV on demand commercial. f**k you DirecTV.

Albuquerque, NM
My HR24-500 also locks up at the end of the Sam's Club commercial and has for a couple weeks on different channels, "local feed" and satellite. Suspect code imbedded in it is something my receiver doesn't like. The pause/unpause has no effect. Channel change or rewind unlocks but drops to live feed and the time between is lost.
The buggy Sam's commercial seems to run on a lot of channels.
No effect on the recording of a program, but it will lock when playing the recording also. I just use the jump fwd to escape the bad frame/code section at the very end of the ad.
Sam's may have embedded a pause instead of a stop or a "return to live" command.

Sam's commercials just recently started here (or I didn't notice them before - I prerecord - use playback or chasing playback and fast forward through commercials). Surely they know their ad is causing problems.
That all the details I recall.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys Charles Holm!

Thanks for the additional information about this issue.

This happened to me today for the first time. Twice. Both times it was that super-annoying Directv Cinema commercial that they air over and over and over and over, sometimes 3 tin a row... has a clip from "Ted" and something with Vin Diesel. LAME!!! And I haven't been watching TV that long either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)