Satellite Changes Coming - May 31st, 2015

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
post-419162-0-74617800-1412632872.jpg

The following card was received by a subscriber with only SD equipment aimed at Western Arc. Their market is officially Eastern Arc with HD locals available and all new installs being Eastern Arc. It looks like DISH has put a date on kicking at least my market off of Western Arc. May 31st.what do you guys think of this going on

Thanks

Allen Bluegras

Hopefully this will work more smoothly than my transition from SD to HD. Even with the letter from Dish with a code on it, they tried to charge me for the transition. CSR was not happy with me when I read the letter to her.

I don't know why DISH doesn't do like the phone companies and allow you customers to upgrade to the newest receivers and sat dishes/repoints for free every year or for FREE with another year commitment. This would allow DISH to get older receivers off the market and make customers happy with the latest technology.

I just wonder why they can't make the western arc an MPEG-4 arc so that I didn't have to get new equipment and stuff whenever I have to upgrade my equipment.

I just wonder why they can't make the western arc an MPEG-4 arc so that I didn't have to get new equipment and stuff whenever I have to upgrade my equipment.
The only way they can make western arc all mpeg 4 IS to upgrade all receivers to mpeg 4 receivers. That's why it is taking so long. Eastern arc was always mpeg 4 and only mpeg 4 receivers could be put on their accounts from the get go.

I don't know why DISH doesn't do like the phone companies and allow you customers to upgrade to the newest receivers and sat dishes/repoints for free every year or for FREE with another year commitment. This would allow DISH to get older receivers off the market and make customers happy with the latest technology.
Ye$, that i$ curiou$. I'm $ure there mu$t be $ome rea$on for $uch a policy, but I'm $tumped a$ to what it could po$$ibly be.

Replacing MPEG-2 equipment with MPEG-4 equipment is a good thing.

Do we know that's what they're doing? Or is it another halfway measure, just retiring a few?

Anyone have a list of what's going? Or for that matter, which non-MPEG4 boxes are still in the field?

May 2015 is a long ways away. Dish has delayed this switchover over and over again. Recovering this bandwidth will be huge, but they don't seem interested in prioritizing it.

Doesn't Dish do this through their Dishin' It Up promotion?

i am just reporting just what is going on very good question about what receivers they are retiring i wish i knew.

Allen

I see this as simply a localized transition of western arc to eastern arc. In these locations the local channels are on one of the western satellites today and by May they are going to be on eastern only. If you are in this situation and have mpeg 2 receivers they need to be changed out as well as getting eastern arc lnbs. It really has nothing to do with a western arc upgrade.

To answer which mpeg2 receivers are still out there, 311, 512, 522, 625, and 322.
EA used to be mpeg2 also till about 3 years ago, when it became mpeg4 only, and they forced all customers to either have hd equipment or upgrade. That was fun to field calls for.

Those were supposed to be off as of May this year. If they get an RA, they'll get a 311. Even if they don't need it.

May 2015 is a long ways away. Dish has delayed this switchover over and over again. Recovering this bandwidth will be huge, but they don't seem interested in prioritizing it.

Wouldn't the recovered bandwidth be enough to add additional HD channels so that everyone - east or west - benefits? You know, Disney XD, Major League Baseball in HD in April, maybe even a couple more HBO-Starz-Sho premiums? If so, this can't happen fast enough.

Perhaps the recent deal with Disney is putting pressure on them.

I know a lady that got the same letter. She is on wa with a 301. Upgrading her to a 211.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts