Satellite Meter for Roofers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

conchosoft

Jun 11, 2012
Texas
To those suggesting a particular manufacturer or model, many thanks - it will save some time with research.

For those with rambling platitudes on the proper operation of a contracting business, I wonder if you realize how clueless you appear.

Why would an intelligent business person seek policy and procedure advice on a techie board? Don't you imagine that the issues discussed in most of these posts were decided long before the decision to purchase was made? The smugness that somehow a roofing contractor wouldn't possess the technical skills to align a dish is bigoted, and silly.

Again, thanks to those with the skills to understood the original post.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Why would an intelligent business person seek policy and procedure advice on a techie board? Don't you imagine that the issues discussed in most of these posts were decided long before the decision to purchase was made? The smugness that somehow a roofing contractor wouldn't possess the technical skills to align a dish is bigoted, and silly.

Again, thanks to those with the skills to understood the original post.

I believe that a request on roofing materials suggestions by a satellite technician on a roofing contrators site would receive similar ADVICE. Please note that several of us who responded with ADVICE have BEEN or currenty are professional installers.

There is a reason that there are trade professionals who are experts in there field. If one of the roofing team has prior satellite technian experience, then go for it, but I believe that it is foolish to think that a satellite meter in the hands of an inexperienced professional of any other trade will provide a positive experience for the customer.

This is only my ADVICE as a former technian with approximately 30 years of satellite experience...

conchosoft

Jun 11, 2012
Texas
I stand by my call that most of this thread is simply wasted bandwidth.

Using your analogy, any "professional" should chime in with random advice no matter the topic. As a safety consultant, I shouldn't pass the opportunity on this thread to lecture about ladder safety ETC.

Since topic has no meaning here anyway, maybe some additional background will help explain why no "professional installers" were harmed in the production of this request.

The company in question does in fact use a local sat shop when possible. For the most part, it's limited to a nearby radius of the city. Not covered by this arrangement are remote areas of between 50 and 100 miles rural. The contracted shops simply won't travel that far for an affordable fee.

The customers, in this instance, are farmers who tend to be wealthy, live in big houses and have a keen interest in watching TV news and weather. The sooner the TV works again, the better. The company maintains a meter currently plus a key employee for the task. (quality assurance and problem solving etc) The meter is a few years old so the question was really "is there something better available?"

I was excited to see such an active board and thought I might learn something about a new subject but I'm disappointed that there is so little information on the original topic.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I stand by my call that most of this thread is simply wasted bandwidth.

Using your analogy, any "professional" should chime in with random advice no matter the topic. As a safety consultant, I shouldn't pass the opportunity on this thread to lecture about ladder safety ETC.

Since topic has no meaning here anyway, maybe some additional background will help explain why no "professional installers" were harmed in the production of this request.

The company in question does in fact use a local sat shop when possible. For the most part, it's limited to a nearby radius of the city. Not covered by this arrangement are remote areas of between 50 and 100 miles rural. The contracted shops simply won't travel that far for an affordable fee.

The customers, in this instance, are farmers who tend to be wealthy, live in big houses and have a keen interest in watching TV news and weather. The sooner the TV works again, the better. The company maintains a meter currently plus a key employee for the task. (quality assurance and problem solving etc) The meter is a few years old so the question was really "is there something better available?"

I was excited to see such an active board and thought I might learn something about a new subject but I'm disappointed that there is so little information on the original topic.

I wouldn't let it get to ya man. Most threads on the internet go that way, no matter how much you try to specify exactly what the topic is, people will pull it in any direction they want.

I don't understand why everyone thinks only a professional can re-install a dish, ESPECIALLY in a FTA forum. Isn't FTA like 80% do-it-your-selfers? I might expect these responses from the Installer Forum... I don't know if anyone remembers how they started out installing, but it was always with no experience by definition. I know I was given a mere two weeks of on the job training before I was on my own, with not a single soul to help me onsite EVER. I can totally see a roofing company giving a few of their guys some training and tools... But to each his own.

Back to your OP, I'd suggest a used Super Buddy 29. If you're doing tons of DirecTV stuff then maybe the AIM meter as well (not instead of).

djacobson

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 26, 2011
warm and sunny ND
If your company is going to have one of the guys trained in satellite dish placement and alignment with a quality meter you might be ok. Some of the worst realignments I have run across is because the roofers or siders dont know what they are doing. A plumb mast seems to be the hardest thing for the inexperienced untrained person.Just did one today and "its in exactly the same spot". The mast out of plumb by 1/2 bubble. It would be a + for your business if you promise to get the dish working,but you cannot just by the meter and wing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)