SatelliteGuys First Look: DIRECTV Scoreguide

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is obvious that Directv released this feature without fully testing it on all receivers. It only works correctly on the HD DVRs.

Directv also released this feature without notifying their customers creating a large amount of confusion, which is totally irresponsible.

It is obvious that Directv released this feature without fully testing it on all receivers. It only works correctly on the HD DVRs.

Directv also released this feature without notifying their customers creating a large amount of confusion, which is totally irresponsible.
Today is the official release date...

New "Feature"

Well, this may be a new "Feature" but count me among those that are not happy with it. I have an H20-100.

1. Channel Guide/Changing Channels performance on any channel with this feature is extremely slow. Literally a delay of 5-7 seconds from button press until the receiver responds.

2. When I press the Info button on channels with this feature, the screen jumps/twitches. When I exit the Info screens, the screen jumps/twitches again.

3. On channels with this feature, if the program being broadcast is 4:3, the receiver now automatically stretches it to 16:9, resulting in the ever-popular "stretch-o-vision" (noticed this both on the baseball game I was trying to watch on Sunday (channel 652) as well as on ESPNClassic). If I bring the Info screen up on these channels, though, the resolution reverts back to 4:3 as long as the info screen stays up. I have my receiver set to 1080i Pillar.

4. Kind of goes with #3, but on any channel with this feature, I am unable to change the resolution. It's stuck at 1080i Stretch. The "Format" button does not work on these channels.

Until the above issues are resolved, I'd really rather not have this "feature".

Tony

It's Official...
DIRECTV ScoreGuide(TM) Provides Sports Fans with the Ultimate Navigation Tool at the Push of a Button

New On-Screen Multi-Channel Feature Enhancing DIRECTV's Industry-leading Program Guide Lets Fans Track Up-to-the-Minute Scores and Instantly Tune to Games

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Apr 27, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The little red button on the DIRECTV remote is about to come up big for sports fans.
That's how DIRECTV customers with advanced receivers will activate ScoreGuide(TM), a new on-screen feature of DIRECTV's industry-leading program guide. Launched today, ScoreGuide enables fans to easily track scores and start times of major sporting events, see a list of channels carrying each event and tune directly to those channels.

Viewers will be alerted to ScoreGuide by a small on-screen icon and have access to the new feature on more than 200 DIRECTV sports channels, including regional sports networks, DIRECTV sports subscription channels (channels 700-799), and national cable networks that primarily cover sports.
ScoreGuide, offered compliments of DIRECTV, displays a lineup of sporting events in progress, as well as upcoming daily and weekly events. ScoreGuide also provides DIRECTV channel numbers associated with each of the events and allows customers to tune to those specific channels with the push of a button on their remote control.

ScoreGuide can be minimized to show just one game at a time, and if a viewer chooses, can also be left open as a visual means of tracking a specific game. Each day presents a new schedule of daily events, and weekly events are updated every Thursday.

Sports on ScoreGuide will include: NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, top 25 college football and basketball, tennis (men's and women's Grand Slam event quarterfinals and later rounds), golf (PGA Tour majors) and next season, NASCAR(R).

DIRECTV has been a front-runner in the development of advanced television features and services, including its popular NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) SuperFan(R), MEGA MARCH MADNESS(R) and NASCAR HotPass(TM) services. The nation's No. 1 satellite TV service also offers exclusive interactive services for the world's most popular annual sports events, including golf's four majors and tennis' four Grand Slam events. The development of ScoreGuide -- a first for television -- is simply another in the long line of technical innovations from DIRECTV.

About DIRECTV, Inc.
DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV - News), the nation's No. 1 satellite TV service, presents the finest television experience available to more than 17.6 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed national cable companies for eight years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please call 1-800-DIRECTV or visit www.directv.com.
SOURCE: DIRECTV

Well, this may be a new "Feature" but count me among those that are not happy with it. I have an H20-100.

1. Channel Guide/Changing Channels performance on any channel with this feature is extremely slow. Literally a delay of 5-7 seconds from button press until the receiver responds.

2. When I press the Info button on channels with this feature, the screen jumps/twitches. When I exit the Info screens, the screen jumps/twitches again.

3. On channels with this feature, if the program being broadcast is 4:3, the receiver now automatically stretches it to 16:9, resulting in the ever-popular "stretch-o-vision" (noticed this both on the baseball game I was trying to watch on Sunday (channel 652) as well as on ESPNClassic). If I bring the Info screen up on these channels, though, the resolution reverts back to 4:3 as long as the info screen stays up. I have my receiver set to 1080i Pillar.

4. Kind of goes with #3, but on any channel with this feature, I am unable to change the resolution. It's stuck at 1080i Stretch. The "Format" button does not work on these channels.

Tony

Tony, I agree with you I would rather not have this feature. I'm experiencing the same problems your are experiencing.

No sense arguing about this. I have a new HR22 and the Red button does bring up the "Active" scoreboard and AT THE SAME TIME, the yellow button brings up its menu. While I haven't tried this "red button" operation much, it seems to work on any sports channel.

And I have to say it is VERY COOL.

Tony

Me too, with the issues above, on all 3 of my H21's. I wish we had the ability to decline or turn off this service, at least until the bugs are worked out. As it stands now, it's really annoying. I can see how it will be a nice thing to have once the bugs are corrected though.

Jeff

First noticed this on Versus last nite watching NHL playoffs then the Fox Sports affiliate watching a Tigers game. I didn't notice any lagging but thanks for the heads up....I'll need to check.

This is a cool feature but it should be available on all channels. Also, the previous days/nights scores should be available until 12 noon the following day.

Earl, I have a H21-200 and the yellow button (guide options) and the blue button (mini guide) don't work either. Very annoying...

I also seem to have ESPN Classic automatically going to stretch mode no matter what the screen format is set at.

Earl, I have a H21-200 and the yellow button (guide options) and the blue button (mini guide) don't work either. Very annoying...

I also seem to have ESPN Classic automatically going to stretch mode no matter what the screen format is set at.

Thanks for describing your experiences with the Scoreguide feature.

I do not believe that Directv cares about owners or users of the H2X receivers. If they cared about the owners or users of the H2X receivers Directv would have fixed the problems with the Scoreguide feature before releasing it.

I am not happy at all with this new "feature".

I regularly schedule autotunes to change channels to record sports programs to my non-direcTV DVR.

If the receiver is left on a channel with scoreguide (which direcTV calls "interactive features"), or autotunes to a channel with scoreguide, then any scheduled autotunes after that will NOT work.

And since most ALL of the channels I am setting up to autotune are sports channels, they ALL have this new "scoreguide" feature. Thus, autotune just ain't working for me most of the time anymore!

I was told to hit EXIT on my remote to exit out of the interactive features! Well, that does NOT work too well if the reason I scheduled autotunes is because I was NOT there to turn the channel myself!

I have a D12 receiver, although direcTV tells me all of their receivers will NOT autotune off a channel which has interactive features!

I wish I could DISABLE interactive features entirely! Not being able to autotune is a big problem for me. Does dish network have this issue?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts