Saving Dish 722 Recordings to EHD prior to Hopper Upgrade

The 622 and 722 drives can be used between any 622/722/Hopper on the same account. The 211 drive is a different format and could only be used with another 211.

SO when I switched from 622 to Hopper they said I would be able to transfer my saved files, however it keeps telling me it needs to format the EHD. I have a 2TB Seagate expansion drive. Tech support has now told me that it needs to have its own power supply to work? Any help would be appreciated and help keep my wife happy.

Yes, the external drive by DISH specs has to be a powered drive. There are posts by some who have said they were able to use drives that were not powered, when I tried it would not work or even be recognized on my VIP receivers.
If it is telling you it needs to be formatted then it is at least recognizing it. Have you waited two or three days for the Hopper to getting fully operational?

Reactions: ChadT41
Yes, the external drive by DISH specs has to be a powered drive. There are posts by some who have said they were able to use drives that were not powered, when I tried it would not work or even be recognized on my VIP receivers.
If it is telling you it needs to be formatted then it is at least recognizing it. Have you waited two or three days for the Hopper to getting fully operational?
Thanks Tampa8, yes the Hopper has been in place for several months now, just frustrated as the tech support leaves out the details when I asked the question.

Reactions: Tampa8
If you were using a portable drive, the only thing that might work is using a powered hub between the Hopper and the ehd.
Good luck
Thanks dwarren2, question how it using a powered hub in between the Hopper and EHD going to help? Will it be using it to help power the EHD? Any suggestions on the type to buy? Current driven?

He has a good idea. The hub may essentially make your non powered EHD a powered one, at least as far as the Hopper can see. The USB port isn't supported by DISH to give power to the EHD as some USB ports are. Thus the EHD needs it's own power and a powered hub may provide that power or make the Hopper think there is a powered EHD.

An example would be;
Amazon product ASIN B00DQFGH80
Not a recommendation of that particular one, I have never used a powered hub.

Any powered hub might work. I run hubs on both my HWS's. each has 2 ehd's, the ota dongle and a cooling mat hooked up thru the hubs
If you are buying a hd, WD's seem to work well

I use several. Don't buy the cheapest.
Is there one you recommend? I see a lot of usb powered ones is that sufficient or should I get one that you plug in with a a/c adapter? Is there a minimum transfer speed required? I see the one that Dish reco's has a 480MB/s transfer rate for usb 2.0, so maybe I answered my own question??? :)

Okay still didn't work, it states that it was hooked up to a different account and can only be associated with the active account. My guess now is that when they changed out my box they must've for some reason or other changed my account info as well. Time to get back on the phone with them.

OK, I've got a 722, a 622, and Two 211s. They all are tethered to EHDs. Am thinking about upgrading to a Hopper/Joey system. It sounds like the 722 and 622 EHDs will migrate fine, but the 211s are SOL. If I switch to a a hopper, does that preclude me from keeping the 211s? They are hooked up to my kids' TVs so there will be a little kvetching (they are 20 and 15 so they will get over it), but it sounds like I will lose the content on the 211 EHDs. Is that the scenario I am facing?

Correct. The 211's EHD content can only be played on a 211 on the same account. If the 211's are leased, they to have to be returned. You can have up to 2 purchased 211's on a hopper account, though.

The 211s were purchased, so I should own them. So I can keep them activated and working with a Hopper/Joey combo on the other two TVs?

If purchased yes. Depending on the techs kindness, you should be able to get them connected to the dish just fine(you know most techs want that CSAT so they will 99.9% likely do it for you.) it just cannot run off the node.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)