Searching for 30W Hispast 1C, 1D, 1D

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well there's my 33" dish looking at 30w. Its just about vertical and squeezed in between 2 houses.
Hispasat has lots of English programming with either Spanish or Arabic subtitles.

DSCN4151.JPG

I wish that there were that much clear space at where my Superdish is mounted, the dish is located on the same pole with my OTA and it is right beneath the OTA. This dish has serve me well and have used it for many years from the same point/spot, but for I have noticed it does not have a clear view of the sky for any satellite below 91W, few spotty trees in front of it in that direction.

A couple different setups when I had 30W in Minneapolis
1st batch is a Channelmaster 75e dish (normally for Shaw Direct)
2nd batch (because the trees grew) was a 36" dish on the TV aerial mast :)

Attachments

• 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 000_0152.jpg
    000_0152.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Hispasat 2.JPG
    Hispasat 2.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Hispasat 6.JPG
    Hispasat 6.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 176
Have walked around my small yard which I am still trying to find a window of clearance through the tree brances for the elucid 30W satellite.... Found a small window, and it looks like I need to go about 7 foot plus in height with the dish to clear the tree top to get a good line of sight for the 30W.

Now if the rain would just stop long enough to do what I need to do.

there used to be an old program for the pc called sat antenna alignment (the old versions were free) that had an obstacle function.You would enter in the obstacle height and distance from the dish,the program would give you the good or bad news.

this is a pretty good channel I watched the movie TED thought it was pretty funny overall not a bad channel.

Dan Rose

it took me while but I found 30w I marked it on the porch so I would never forget where its at so just set and forget. I use a slimeline dish for that satellite.

Dan Rose

Anole,...I have just finished assembling the freeby dish and motor, mounted it on a home made tripod, need to weight it down with some sand bags or bricks....Right now it is pouring rain again, when will these April showers stop?...Took some pictures of the setup, will send/show them later on today.

I hope the dish is pointed high enough to clear the tree top leaves and capture the 30W satellite, and I will get a chance to point the dish toward the 30W satellite soon and find out one way or another if this is worth all this effort. LOL!!.

Is that the dish you got from a coworker a few months back?
If you're just going for 30w, I'd leave the motor out of the package.
Much easier to aim without it.

edit : was that a round dish, where you skew the LNBF?
...or on eliptical dish where you actually twist the dish

Looking forward it pix, as always! :up

Last edited:
Anole,...I have just finished assembling the freeby dish and motor, mounted it on a home made tripod, need to weight it down with some sand bags or bricks....Right now it is pouring rain again, when will these April showers stop?...Took some pictures of the setup, will send/show them later on today.

I hope the dish is pointed high enough to clear the tree top leaves and capture the 30W satellite, and I will get a chance to point the dish toward the 30W satellite soon and find out one way or another if this is worth all this effort. LOL!!.

April showers are GUARANTEED to stop tomorrow! lol...

Yeah, the rain in the New Orleans area has been nonstop as of late. Some severe thunderstorms with very strong winds and hail as well. It's been keeping me from doing my spring cleaning up on the Ku dish farm. I'm also going to have to do some serious tree cutting, since my 30W view is iffy right now due to new growth.

Here are the pictures as promised, notice that the tripod needs a whole lot of weight on the feet area to keep the dish from tumbling forward....As soon as the rain lets up, and the ground dries a bit, I will give it a try to look/find the satellite.

Attachments

• SatelitePics 074.jpg
    SatelitePics 074.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 188
  • SatelitePics 075.jpg
    SatelitePics 075.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 191
  • SatelitePics 076.jpg
    SatelitePics 076.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 192
  • SatelitePics 077.jpg
    SatelitePics 077.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 186
  • SatelitePics 078.jpg
    SatelitePics 078.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 181
If you're an early riser and the sky is clear this saturday hispasat will eclipse the moon at your location at 5:18am(according to Stellarium)hispa slidell.jpg

Is that the dish you got from a coworker a few months back?
If you're just going for 30w, I'd leave the motor out of the package.
Much easier to aim without it.

edit : was that a round dish, where you skew the LNBF?
...or on eliptical dish where you actually twist the dish

Looking forward it pix, as always! :up

Yes this is the same dish, this is the eliptical dish and I am going to use an Invacom SNH-031, now the question is, if the LNBF is skewsed to the desired position inside the holder while the dish is at the zero position ( straight up) would it work just the same as if the dish and LNBF is twisted together with the whole sysytem....Of course the dish elevation would have to be changed to the proper called out elevation.

This searching of the 30W is to me is just a temporary trial and error effort, meaning that I would like to use the motor and dish combination to see if I have a small chance of viewing it through some of the few tree branches that are or might be in the way, I agree that it is much easier to do this without the motor ...I will not know until I try.

The dish tripod is now weighted down and hopefully in the right place, the only thing holding me back is the rain.

Yes this is the same dish, this is the eliptical dish ...
Looks like a "Round" to me.
Yes, it's a few inches taller than wide, but looks round to LNBF (and as someone pointed out, round to the satellite, as well!). ;)

An eliptical dish is more like those 20-22 inch tall by 32-36 inch wide reflectors!

...and I am going to use an Invacom SNH-031, now the question is, if the LNBF is skewsed to the desired position inside the holder while the dish is at the zero position ( straight up) would it work just the same as if the dish and LNBF is twisted together with the whole sysytem....
On a round dish, yes.
Setting azimuth on a skewed dish is tricky, so better if you don't have to deal with it.

I think the SNH031 is Universal, so don't forget to take that into acccount.
And if I'm not mistaken, Universal won't get you anything additional in North america.

Looks like a "Round" to me.
Yes, it's a few inches taller than wide, but looks round to LNBF (and as someone pointed out, round to the satellite, as well!). ;)

An eliptical dish is more like those 20-22 inch tall by 32-36 inch wide reflectors!

On a round dish, yes.
Setting azimuth on a skewed dish is tricky, so better if you don't have to deal with it.

I think the SNH031 is Universal, so don't forget to take that into acccount.
And if I'm not mistaken, Universal won't get you anything additional in North america.

I learn something new every day, all of this time I was under the impression that this dish (being slightly egg shaped) was considered an eliptical dish, so therefore my Superdish is a true eliptical dish...The reason for me trying to use the Invacom SNH-031 is because it have some degrees marking on top, making it much easier for me to guestimate part of the skew reading....I also have two Invacom QPH-031 at my disposal, they do not have any degrees marking to go by and use as a refference.

I have used the Invacom SNH-031, and the QPH-031 with my old small "round" dish for Ku with good results, but now I am confussed on what LNBF setting to use with both of them..... Brian once explained the settings to me but now I have forgotten which is which, I must have a small touch of "Oldtimers"...LOL!!!.

Will look for his explanation on the LNBF settings, but if you could point it out to me, I will appreciate it very much.

The QPH is Standard.
The SNH is Universal.
That's from memory.

Or you could look 'em up on the Invacom (or Sadoun) web site. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)