Searching for 30W Hispast 1C, 1D, 1D

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Skew is necessary, but not critical to the millimeter. A little off one way or the other usually won't make a bit of difference. I find the best way to set skew is to twist the LNB in the holder while watching the quality reading on a receiver.

m
Skew is necessary, but not critical to the millimeter. A little off one way or the other usually won't make a bit of difference. I find the best way to set skew is to twist the LNB in the holder while watching the quality reading on a receiver.

you mentioned something about a FSS LNBF and something about stacked, which of the following LNBF is considered a stacked, the SNH 031 or the QPH 031?

Neither the SNH031 or the QPH031 are band stacked LNBFS. The SNH031 is an universal type and the QPH031 is a standard type.

There are actually very few stacked LNBs out there. The DBS and Ku-Band LNBs on a Dish Network Superdish (and all modern smaller Dish Network DBS dishes), Sadoun's KBSL1 Ku-Band LNBF (which I use on my 90CM dishes), and the Eagle Aspen B1SAT C-Band LNBF are the three that immediately come to mind. Shaw (Canada) also uses one.

The reason I mentioned bandstacked LNBs was that you will be using one if you use the stock FSS LNB on the Superdish.

Tron;3160434 The reason I mentioned bandstacked LNBs was that you will be using one if you use the stock FSS LNB on the Superdish.[/QUOTE said:
That makes sense, well the Superdish was given to me without any LNBF, just the dish...Since the QPH have two Linear and two Circular ports, I was thinking that, that what you were reffering to, that was a head scratcher.

Tron, I dont know about your backyard, but mine is so saturated that when I go look at the dish, my footprints are held/shown for future generations. LOL!!.:)

The rain stopped for a while, so I went to analyze my next option on the search for the 30W satellite...Saw and found a few things that not made me very happy...It is not going to be easy to adapt the dish or dish/motor to the new pole in order to get a good view of the satellite, for one the pole is wider than the dish mount elevation and motor brackets.

The dish elevation degrees for 30W satellite satellite is called out to be 17.5 degrees, the bracket travel only goes down to 25 degrees....Might have to manipulate/adjust the "Latitude" angle bracket of the motor if this is necessary to achieve the required elevation....Anyway with the dish, with or without the motor the job is not going smooth....The GEOSAT pro GS120 motor pole attachment bracket is BIG.

The dish as you can see is already mounted on the pole, but the setup cannot meet the required elevation angle for the 30w SATELLTE.

Included are pictures to better convey my above explanation....Any thoughts or suggestion on this problem?

Attachments

• SatelitePics 129.jpg
    SatelitePics 129.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 165
  • SatelitePics 130.jpg
    SatelitePics 130.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 166
  • SatelitePics 127.jpg
    SatelitePics 127.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 177
  • SatelitePics 128.jpg
    SatelitePics 128.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I would go non motorized for 30w until you find it.
My motorized dish is set up just the opposite of normal.
As long as all the angles add up.
The dish is set to elevation and the motor is set to declination.

1. Remove motor
2. Invert dish - mount it to the pole upside down
(there are already several recent threads outlining the simple proceedure)

Anole, I thought about that earlier, still believe that the pole might be a bit too wide for the dish bracket holder. Would not know untill the motor is removed and try to install the dish on the pole.

In the mean time I will search and see if I can find the threads that you mentioned.

The dish elevation degrees for 30W satellite satellite is called out to be 17.5 degrees, the bracket travel only goes down to 25 degrees....Might have to manipulate/adjust the "Latitude" angle bracket of the motor if this is necessary to achieve the required elevation....Anyway with the dish, with or without the motor the job is not going smooth....The GEOSAT pro GS120 motor pole attachment bracket is BIG.

Are you sure that the mark is that piece of metal you marked, and not the bolt? I'm wondering why they would've put on a scale that goes all the way to the end of the slot if there's no way to reach it.

I would rig an offset post to the oversized pole and take it out of plumb by 5 degrees in the direction of the satellite. This way the mount doesn't need to be inverted and is not against the end of the scale.

Last edited:
Brian,...Jim S. has a point about the dish elevation scale marking....Is the marking imprinted wrong, or am I not reading it right?....I did mentioned this discreptancy earlier in another post about this dish when I first tried to use it to replace the smaller Ku dish, no one corrected me, so I assumed that this marking was right.

When you mentioned about rigging an offset post to the pole, are you talking about an over sized pizza dish "J" bracket?

Have to go into my swampy backyard and see if there is a way to do this.

I'm not sure about those elevation scale markings, and where to read them from, different dishes use different methods.

And there are lots of ways to offset a pole, you just need to get creative. When you are setting up a fixed dish there are really no rules as far as having to have the mounting plumb/square/straight...just aim that rascal however you can mount and aim it. ;)

This was just a temporary install but here is how I did it on a 30W setup:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/228826-DTV-Slimline-fixed-on-30W

I am not familiar with that dish, so unable to comment on the scale marking accuracy. Like yourself, I would assume that the marker visible through the scale is approximately close. You could confirm the accuracy by aiming at another satellite that is higher in the arc and within the scale range.

Yes, a J-pole type or wall mount L bracket is the type of offset that I would mount to the existing pole. As Phlatwound suggests, the pole doesn't need to be plumb for a fixed dish install. The mast could lean in the direction of the satellite to provide the extra degrees of tilt to see the lower satellite position.

Disassembled the motor scale bracket and found out that the reading of the angles should be taken from the center of the bolt head instead of the slider edge...It seems that the travel readings for this bracket is from 5 degrees to 90 degrees.

Pictures of the bracket (I guess that is the right terminology or name for this thing) are included.

Took the bolt that runs next to the scale and notched/marked with a marks-a-lot...Now to put it back together and see if what happens...Another thought, is a dish 500 suiteable for this task, the freeby dish is bulky and heavy.

Attachments

• SatelitePics 141.jpg
    SatelitePics 141.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 160
  • SatelitePics 142.jpg
    SatelitePics 142.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Boy this is FUN, I don't think that I have gotten this envolvel with a FTA projest with this most interest, I hope that all of this effort, as mentioned before is worht doing.

It looks as there is no need for any modification to the dish bracket....As it is now, the only thing to do is leave the motor's Latitude angle as is, and only adjust the dish elevation to the called out degrees, set the right skew and search for the satellite...If this is not a true statement feel free to correct me!!!!!....Still that tree and it's growing leaves is looking at me.LOL!!!

The sun is out but I am still sloshing around the yard.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Getting 30W is well worth the effort. Lile the others have said, adding a motor t the mix to start with will add confusion. It is a great hobby. I accidentally found 30W years back when I was motoring to 61W and my move east button got stuck. I was delighted!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Another thought, is a dish 500 suiteable for this task, the freeby dish is bulky and heavy.
I doubt you'd be satisfied with it's performance. I put a 30 inch CM dish on it. Although it got the most desirable tp's, it was easily faded out with snow or rain. Then again, that's way up north here. Results may vary. The 1.2m I have on it is major overkill, but that's what I got, so it is what it is. [30W is 6.4° elevation here]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)