SEC CHANNEL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I be willing to a 1.25 a month for the sec channel. Maybe D trying to getting a upper hand in talk with sec by putting this out I certain hope so.

If you talking that you'd be willing to have it (ala, alacarte) for $1.25 per month, good luck with that.

IF it ever went ala carte, it would be more like part of the Sports Package. (whats that, 13-14 p/m )

Which ones? Those who really really want SEC or those who don't and prefer not to pay for it?
let me clarify..I watch as much SEC football and hoops as they will throw at me. IMO The SEC is the best football conference.
That's why it has tv contracts with major nets and cable channels.

I really don't see a need for these Conference channels as far as Football goes, like you said, it's more for the other sports.

The Big Ten will still be on ABC and ESPN and the SEC games will still be on CBS (as far as I know ) and the other networks they have been on (Football wise) and the other sports will be on the channel ...

I rarely ever watch the Big Ten network, once in a while ... the only time I make SURE to watch it is when my team is REQUIRED to be on the channel, which is usually 2 per year.

Here's the problem. The "SEC Network" used to be a syndicated channel many of us received over the air. In some markets it was on the primary channel, others had it on a subchannel. At least 50%, Maybe approaching 70% of the nation had OTA access to the SEC Network. Now, the syndication will be gone at it will be a pay channel only. If DirecTV doesn't resolve this, we will miss the Saturday 12:30 ET football games that we used to see. Then there are numerous basketball games that will also be unavailable.

Just put it on a sports tier if you can't put it on the basic package. Simple as that. We just want ACCESS to it! To me, a SEC fan living in BigTen (where people can't count to 12) country this is a much better channel than BigTen and Big Ten is already on the system. This should be a no brainer.

Here's the problem. The "SEC Network" used to be a syndicated channel many of us received over the air. In some markets it was on the primary channel, others had it on a subchannel. At least 50%, Maybe approaching 70% of the nation had OTA access to the SEC Network. Now, the syndication will be gone at it will be a pay channel only. If DirecTV doesn't resolve this, we will miss the Saturday 12:30 ET football games that we used to see. Then there are numerous basketball games that will also be unavailable.

Just put it on a sports tier if you can't put it on the basic package. Simple as that. We just want ACCESS to it! To me, a SEC fan living in BigTen (where people can't count to 12) country this is a much better channel than BigTen and Big Ten is already on the system. This should be a no brainer.

See what happens when you think your conference is better than thou ...
You get to PAY for it now.

How do you consider the sec channel is Better than the BTN ?

Here's the problem. The "SEC Network" used to be a syndicated channel many of us received over the air.

Not exactly. SEC-TV was syndicated programming, not a channel.

Just put it on a sports tier if you can't put it on the basic package.

Outside of the 11 state SEC footprint it will most likely be part of a sports tier. Within the 11 state SEC footprint, it's only offered on carrier's basic cable line up (linear). In addition to linear distribution, carriers must offer digital distribution (ie WatchESPN).

That channel was never available where I live in the NC Piedmont. In fact, before this was even an issue, I'd never heard of the SEC channel.
Which Saturday 12:30 game are you talking about?
Here's the thing with these niche channels. The producers of the channel are not going to allow it to be put in a higher tier, nor will they permit it to be a pay channel. The reason is simple, not enough buys. The channel would require placement in a tier where many subscribers already are buying that level. This spreads out the cost of the channel. Often to unsuspecting consumers who will never watch the channel but get stuck paying extra for it.
I think we will see providers balking at paying for these specialty sports channels more often because the producers are unrealistic as to the value of the service. Looks like DTV is putting it's foot down on this one.
I would not sweat it. Not much is going to be shown on this channel that is not already available on other channels. Such as football and hoops. It's not the end of the world.

That channel was never available where I live in the NC Piedmont. In fact, before this was even an issue, I'd never heard of the SEC channel.
Here's the thing with these niche channels. The producers of the channel are not going to allow it to be put in a higher tier, nor will they permit it to be a pay channel. The reason is simple, not enough buys. The channel would require placement in a tier where many subscribers already are buying that level. This spreads out the cost of the channel. Often to unsuspecting consumers who will never watch the channel but get stuck paying extra for it.
I think we will see providers balking at paying for these specialty sports channels more often because the producers are unrealistic as to the value of the service. Looks like DTV is putting it's foot down on this one.
I would not sweat it. Not much is going to be shown on this channel that is not already available on other channels. Such as football and hoops. It's not the end of the world.

For the past 10+ years there has always been an 12:30pm Saturday game each week. The selection process went like this: 1) CBS got first pick (usually the best game of the week) and airs the game at 3:30. 2) ESPN comes in and selects various games and airs them on their family of networks (ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, etc.). 3) Lincoln Financial (used to be Jefferson Pilot) came in and picked a game. This game was the 12:30 game. 4) If a school didn't have their game picked up, they had the option of producing it themselves and airing it PPV. 5) If the school opted not to produce a PPV game, ESPN had to pick up the game.

As far as programming: ESPN is contractually obligated to air 450 linear events including 45 football games (3 games every Saturday during the 15 week regular season) and 550 digital events.

yep for many years we have received the sec and acc games free OTA on a couple of religious local channels as part of the Raycom Sports syndicated networks, now they want everyone to pay extra for these. Raycom rebranded the acc games as Acc Network 3 or 4 years ago. The Big 12 basketball games that are not picked up by Fox and ESPN are distributed this way too and branded as Big 12 Network games but are produced by ESPN with ESPN logo graphics. Not sure who was distributing the SEC games

For the past 10+ years there has always been an 12:30pm Saturday game each week. The selection process went like this: 1) CBS got first pick (usually the best game of the week) and airs the game at 3:30. 2) ESPN comes in and selects various games and airs them on their family of networks (ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, etc.). 3) Lincoln Financial (used to be Jefferson Pilot) came in and picked a game. This game was the 12:30 game. 4) If a school didn't have their game picked up, they had the option of producing it themselves and airing it PPV. 5) If the school opted not to produce a PPV game, ESPN had to pick up the game.

As far as programming: ESPN is contractually obligated to air 450 linear events including 45 football games (3 games every Saturday during the 15 week regular season) and 550 digital events.

This is easy, every week in the SEC theres a 3:30 big game (according to them) then theres the Prime Time game, thers always a TOP game on at 7:30/ 8 pm, then what ever they decide is the minor game for the week will be on the SEC network at 12:30.

Sorry SEC guys, but the BIG TIME Games will NOT be on the SEC Network.

yep for many years we have received the sec and acc games free OTA on a couple of religious local channels as part of the Raycom Sports syndicated networks, now they want everyone to pay extra for these. Raycom rebranded the acc games as Acc Network 3 or 4 years ago. The Big 12 basketball games that are not picked up by Fox and ESPN are distributed this way too and branded as Big 12 Network games but are produced by ESPN with ESPN logo graphics. Not sure who was distributing the SEC games

It wouldn't surprise me if it's not espn, seeing they seem to promote the sec every chance they get.

SEC Network football is (was) on WCWG Greensboro and WNCN Raleigh. SEC Basketball is on WNCN, although usually on 17-2. The 12:30 time is usually for football, the basketball games start at random times in the early afternoon. Tomorrow's Georgia at South Carolina game is airing on WNCN 17-2 at 1:30 PM. MSG distributes SEC Network nationwide in HD, too, with the SportsPack. There have never been blackouts on MSG that I have seen, even when the game is airing on a local primary or secondary channel.

Sorry SEC guys, but the BIG TIME Games will NOT be on the SEC Network.

How is this relevant? There will be three live football games on the SEC Network every Saturday. Every school has a minimum three non conference games and the majority of those are already produced and aired on ESPNU.

So.....why would those above mentioned channels not continue to pick up those games?

SEC Network football is (was) on WCWG Greensboro and WNCN Raleigh. SEC Basketball is on WNCN, although usually on 17-2. The 12:30 time is usually for football, the basketball games start at random times in the early afternoon. Tomorrow's Georgia at South Carolina game is airing on WNCN 17-2 at 1:30 PM. MSG distributes SEC Network nationwide in HD, too, with the SportsPack. There have never been blackouts on MSG that I have seen, even when the game is airing on a local primary or secondary channel.
That game is being picked up by a local station here. .
I have a question. If the SEC network is available on those and other stations, why would it not be available in the future?

That game is being picked up by a local station here. .
I have a question. If the SEC network is available on those and other stations, why would it not be available in the future?

Those were syndicated TIER 3 games called sec network in name only. espn has bought the Tier 3 rights for all sec schools now and all of that will now be subscription based on the ESPN owned SEC Network and no longer available for nationwide OTA syndication.

because those games will be on the cable only SEC Network

So the SEC network which was a distributor to OTA stations is taking a dive into cable..Got it...Well sucks to be them if they miscalculate the value of their programming.
I'm not paying for it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)