SEC Network Launches August 14 Channel 611

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i saw the message board you mention. sounded like the op was under the impression dtv had contacted franchcises and retailers as the op said he/she had a friend who had a dtv franchise.
Somebody on the LSU board tigerdroppings said basically the same thing except they said expect an announcement tomorrow

I have heard the announcement will be on Wednesday... then I heard from two other sources its coming on Thursday. I am also being told that the channel will be uplinked and tested on the 7th at well. (But not made available to customers until the 14th)

Again I am only reporting what I am hearing... no need to make anything up. :D

For those of us still using SD equipment (much easier set RV set up), does anyone believe that I will be able to pick this channel up in SD on my 18" round dish pointing at satellite 101 or will it likely be an HD only channel which will require an upgrade?? I am unfamiliar with how new channels are established.
That is an awfully good question.

There appear to be as many as 29 Cinema channels at 101W so they could theoretically pull it off. If they also pick up PAC-12 at some point things would be tight if there were any major events.

I doubt I
I havent pulled up the numbers myself, but it would not surprise me if it were the largest "available to insert number of housholds" sports channel launch.
Not saying it will be the most watched by any means, but since the major ones launched (FS1 aside) the number of people with pay tv has increased. On that alone it would make sense.

Its already far ahead of where any other conference channel had been, and the others such as ESPN and such have been around for years now, so it is doubtful that they had a larger at launch audience.

I havent pulled up the numbers myself, but it would not surprise me if it were the largest "available to insert number of housholds" sports channel launch.
Not saying it will be the most watched by any means, but since the major ones launched (FS1 aside) the number of people with pay tv has increased. On that alone it would make sense.

Its already far ahead of where any other conference channel had been, and the others such as ESPN and such have been around for years now, so it is doubtful that they had a larger at launch audience.

Not hard to have a big launch when you're holding a gun to everyone's head to get carriage. It would be a lot smaller if it wasn't being bundled with the espns and forced into base packages for everyone.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Possibly. However, it launched how it launched, and the launch numbers will be impressive.
Again, I am sure that it wont challenge ESPN for total viewers, but i would imagine the ratings will be healthy.

Done deal. :)

Print Page
Press Release Details
DIRECTV to Provide New SEC Network on August 14, 2014
08/04/2014

DIRECTV and ESPN Combine to Enable SEC Fans with More than 45 Exclusive Football Games at Launch

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & BRISTOL, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV and ESPN have entered into an agreement for DIRECTV to provide the new SEC Network to fans and followers of the Southeastern Conference when the network launches Aug. 14. The first college football game on the new network will air Aug. 28 featuring #20 Texas A&M vs. #9 South Carolina.

“The SEC boasts powerhouse athletic programs, especially in football, representing deeply loyal communities, many of which do not have any professional teams,” said Dan York, DIRECTV’s Chief Content Officer. “The depth of SEC competition and the quality ESPN brings to game production and complementary programming makes SEC Network a valuable addition to our sports programming lineup, and we’re excited to bring it into our customers’ homes and on their devices.”

“Our agreement with DIRECTV continues to push the SEC Network towards one of the most successful network launches when it debuts on August 14,” said Sean Breen, Disney and ESPN Media Networks Senior Vice President, Affiliate Sales. “We’re proud to deliver the SEC Network nationwide via DIRECTV in advance of the Texas A&M and South Carolina game later this month.”

The SEC Network will deliver at least 45 exclusive SEC football games this season. Recently released pre-season polls rank seven SEC teams in the college football preseason top 25, ensuring consistently close, competitive match-ups on SEC Network. The network will also serve as an all-access pass to nationally competitive events, news and information, expert analysis, classic games and in-depth features on the most storied conference in college athletics.

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said, “With opening day now firmly in sight, we are happy to count DIRECTV, the country’s largest satellite provider, among our many distributors for the SEC Network. The SEC is home to the most passionate fans in college sports, and I am pleased to have such a wide distribution by launch date for the benefit of SEC fans everywhere.”

“With the launch of SEC Network just days away, we look forward to serving these legions of current and prospective students, alumni and loyal supporters with quality content and coverage nationwide,” added Justin Connolly, ESPN Senior Vice President, College Networks.

Notice nothing about Longhorn Network... nor nothing about WatchESPN access.

I am told that WatchESPN details are still being hammered out and will be announced once ready. :)

Our thanks to both ESPN and DIRECTV for giving us hints over the past few weeks so we were allowed to bring you the news first. :D

Notice nothing about Longhorn Network... nor nothing about WatchESPN access.

I am told that WatchESPN details are still being hammered out and will be announced once ready. :)

Our thanks to both ESPN and DIRECTV for giving us hints over the past few weeks so we were allowed to bring you the news first. :D

Scott,

Will we be able to watch sEC Network on mobile like Dish is advertising or will not be able to get that until we have WATCH ESPN

Scott,

Will we be able to watch sEC Network on mobile like Dish is advertising or will not be able to get that until we have WATCH ESPN
I don't honestly know the answer... but if I had to guess I would say that it would NOT be available until WatchESPN is made available as they probably both use the same authentication system. Again that is just a guess. (And I would hope the WatchESPN stuff would be finished by the launch next week... we can only HOPE!)

I don't honestly know the answer... but if I had to guess I would say that it would NOT be available until WatchESPN is made available as they probably both use the same authentication system. Again that is just a guess. (And I would hope the WatchESPN stuff would be finished by the launch next week... we can only HOPE!)

From what I understand, the sec network will be included in the ESPN watch app. There will be no separate app.

From what I understand, the sec network will be included in the ESPN watch app. There will be no separate app.

I have read the exact opposite, although I can't recall where.

I personally hope they roll it together, but either way is fine.

Yes indeed it will be on channel 611. It will be in Standard Definition from the 101 Satellite from Transponder 13 and in HD from the 103 satellite via Transponder 5.

My thanks to DIRECTV for keeping us in the loop. :)

Done deal. :)

Print Page
Press Release Details
DIRECTV to Provide New SEC Network on August 14, 2014
08/04/2014

DIRECTV and ESPN Combine to Enable SEC Fans with More than 45 Exclusive Football Games at Launch

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & BRISTOL, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV and ESPN have entered into an agreement for DIRECTV to provide the new SEC Network to fans and followers of the Southeastern Conference when the network launches Aug. 14. The first college football game on the new network will air Aug. 28 featuring #20 Texas A&M vs. #9 South Carolina. .....

Awesome! Now we wait for channel numbers to be announced. This is great news! Also looking forward to the WatchESPN announcement.

http://www.gatorzone.com/listings/?p=sec-network-faq

I am an authenticated WatchESPN app user, will I be able to see SEC Network content through that app?
The SEC Network will be available through the WatchESPN app. Your cable provider must carry the SEC Network in order for you to have authenticated access through either app or digital platform.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts