SES-3 FCC Approved -- SES-3 Goes Live June 7th 2015

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok ice thats what I was trying to figure out another question is that is it going to be dss what directv uses? Do they have to install that on board or do that from an uplink facility? If directv says they are getting rid for example can it be switched to dbs format?

Ciel Satellite holds the authorization from Industry Canada to provide Ka-band services at 103°W. Dish Network wants to use the authorization to "explore" feeding a planned terrestrial wireless broadband network in the United States. See this letter submitted to the FCC last fall.

My oh my,,,, what a bunch of guessin', whatifin', supposin' and dreamin' going on!

So SES3 has been held up in FCC approval for a year and a half primarily by DirecTV KA license claims and now your suggesting that it will be used by DirecTV in the US?

All I read is that SES3 is licensed to operate C/KU and station keeping. Industry Canada will decide if and/or what they will go with the KA band.

Dan, Satellite signals are analog carriers. These carriers can contain transport streams of digital data that can be any type of parameter created by the encoders and modulators.

Edit: kofi123 clarified what I was referring to while I was composing this post. Thanks kofi123!

Reactions: KE4EST
The other thing is, I don't recall reading in any of the legal back-and-forth filed over the past two years of a plan to use the Ka-band authorization given to Ciel Satellite by Industry Canada to actually provide Ka-band services to Canada. Instead, the case has essentially ended up being Dish Network and DirecTV fighting over use of the Ka-band at 103°W for services targeted to the United States.

Dee_Ann said: ?
Just nobody call them up with questions or complaints! Just leave it be.

Gee I wonder who ever did that!

Guilty. I poked the hornet's nest several years ago when RTV changed their video format. I made a LOT of people really, really mad at me for that.
And RTV told me "So do you want us to scramble it? Just shut up and leave it alone or lose it completely." That is pretty much the exact words an RTV engineer told me.

I know it's none of my business, but I truely hope the Ka signals are scrambled or locked up in a way to keep people from potentially stealing Pay Internet Service destined for Canadians or whoever it's for. Leaching off of a Ka band for free Internet is as bad and illegal as pirating a pay TV channel, and shouldn't be tolerated here. I can understand a person's situation is so dire to resort to claiming imonient domain on someone else's satellite dish off the roof, or hoping to grab free Internet from the skies, but we should be much higher than that. If it is all done in a legal paid fashion, then that's great and awesome!! :) I just get concerned at times with people's intentions, but like I said, it's none of my business since I'm not supposed to know anything; but just a reminder: please keep it legal for the rest of us. :) I'm not mentioning certain names, but concerns is all.

Last edited:
Chris when I brought up the ka part I was meaning fta tv since there is next to none on this side of the globe. I understand what your getting about stealing internet but I think they have ways to block people from doing that. Can anyone chime about if the Internet on the satellite is encrypted?

I know it's none of my business, but I truely hope the Ka signals are scrambled or locked up in a way to keep people from potentially stealing Pay Internet Service destined for Canadians or whoever it's for.

I find your post really odd, because it's a completely different process to take internet for free as it is to take TV for free. TV generally is broadcast, meaning it goes out one direction and is received the other direction. Internet, on the other hand, is bi-directional. You make a request and get a response. From that perspective you generally need some sort of authentication to your ISP. Also, bi-directional Ka-band has a wideband downlink with a narrow band uplink, and the uplinks are also generally location bound, meaning that the satellite can tell roughly where the uplink is coming from to allow sharing bandwidth.

The short version is that it's very difficult to steal satellite internet, and easy to detect. IMO it's not worth the work and expense it would take to accomplish. Calling it "free" is even a bit of a stretch, since the gear needed to do it illegally is pretty pricey.

$02.

I am a bit confused. How would Dan get free KA internet via a non-existent ISP service on a yet-to-be placed into service satellite? Internet is two-way and requires a return path and credentials.

Yes, no one should contact a FTA broadcaster, especially after they had been specifically told not to (ignoring the information that I provided during a telephone call prior to contacting the broadcaster). No self pity party, Dan... Your call was intentional and definitely not a "mistake". Your call was made despite the the direct input from several of us! Yes, we were VERY upset!

Reactions: ynnedibanez
Chris made valid point though but with internet service, they would have something in line like a access card. Something directv and dish uses.

Brian thats why I said I made mistake. Not like Dee but I did screw up. I was asking about in this thread ka tv signals that could be fta so we can something we can test here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)