SES-3 FCC Approved -- SES-3 Goes Live June 7th 2015

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Overall people need to quit bringing things like this up we are here to help not bring people down.

I love to squeeze them love to please them if they are hot why not. I like women from the Netherlands better though.

How do they knock the old satellite out of it's orbital slot?

And is this the one that has the webcam on North and South Huntington Beach -Surf City?

Yes that is the same bird. It has some on board fuel and remotely they instruct it to go into a declined orbit or they move it somewhere else and use it. Or they can just leave it where it's at and turn off its repeater till a future time. A lot of satellites can occupy one spot, lots of room up there in the orbital window.

or they move it somewhere else and use it

That's potentially what will happen in this case. Once SES-3 is active, SES wants to move AMC-1 to 129°W until SES-15 can be launched and placed at that location in 2017. FCC authorization for the move is still pending.

Interesting. I read that a 2 degree spacing in the Clarke Belt is about 950 miles? Imagine having a ham repeater in a geostationary satellite.

Each orbital location (slot) has what is called "the box", which is approximately 43 miles wide. Satellites are constantly monitored and small rockets are fired to keep the satellite within this operational box. This is maintenance is called station keeping. Satellite life span is primarily determined by the amount of rocket fuel remaining to maintain control, position and ultimately disposal.

Typically, each satellite is kept within a much smaller section of the box. If multiple satellites (cluster) are operated in the same box, the distance between them might be as close as a mile apart!

A great read on this subject is:
http://thespacereview.com/article/1634/1

That's potentially what will happen in this case. Once SES-3 is active, SES wants to move AMC-1 to 129°W until SES-15 can be launched and placed at that location in 2017. FCC authorization for the move is still pending.

Is Galaxy 12 currently at 129W damaged, or why are they not using it at this time?

Is Galaxy 12 currently at 129W damaged, or why are they not using it at this time?

I don't really know what the deal is with that satellite, but Intelsat hasn't made any mention of damage. They appear to be keeping it as a spare that can be moved quickly in case there's another situation like when Galaxy 15 went out of control a few years ago and Galaxy 12 became a temporary replacement. Galaxy 12 being C-band only might have a role in how it's being used, too.

Like 125°W, Intelsat has C-band rights at 129°W and SES has Ku-band rights. If AMC-1 is moved to 129°W, only the Ku portion of the satellite would be permitted for use. Though a bit vague, SES has indicated the principle Ku-band market at this location would be for data/internet services.

my ku dish will not see a satellite @ 129W. At 125W I get some signal loss in the summer due to trees at that location
I have the exact same issue. 125 is blocked by a tree in my neighbor's front yard.

A curious note on moving satellites... Some people's first instinct of how they move them would be that they fire the boosters sideways to make them move sideways... Actually, the way they move between slots is by sliding them farther or closer to the earth, which takes them out of geostationary orbit, then wait for the earth to rotate to the place they want to be, and then sliding them back to the proper distance.

It's strange that AMC-1 has functional boosters and they can't correct the skew. Skew correction is normally provided by "momentum wheels", but can also be done by boosters in a pinch. Constantly maintaining skew with boosters uses a lot of fuel though, which will greatly decrease the life of the satellite.

So my guess is, that they are leaving it at its incorrect skew to prevent using up all the fuel. It also makes me suspect that the momentum wheels aren't functioning properly, though that's a theory since I don't have any inside knowledge.

$.02.

People say that the skew was set to 26 degrees on purpose in an effort to reduce rain fade. This is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard a professional scientist say, but it's not so ridiculous that I don't believe it.

BITD there were a couple of Ku band satellites with the non-standard skew. Even then I heard it was done in an attempt to minimize rain fade. The skew wasn't an issue for me because I had a Corotor II on a prime focus dish. AMC-1 was skewed this way just to maintain compatibility with the previous satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)