Setting up OTA antenna with FTA need advice please. Final Step.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishy2007

Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Canada
I setup one of these babys:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw&feature=related"]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

to receive HD programming for my HDTV. My friend that lives on the street behind mine also made one of these and put it on the roof. He is getting about 24 channels with a couple of them HD and they look spectacular so I thought I'd give it a try too.

I have a sonicview 4000 for FTA and I want to combine the OTA signals and FTA together. I bought 2 diplexers and a matching transformer (300ohm to 75ohm coax). I am using a DiseqC switch for FTA and if I combine the FTA and OTA cables using the dipelxers, my OTA channels work alright but my FTA looses too much signal. No quality and signal drops down to 17%. If I connect it without the Diseqc switch (a single LNB to the diplexer) then both the FTA and OTA channels work fine.

Do I need an amplifier or something to keep my signal when using a Diseqc switch? If so, what kind would I need to get? I am using RG6 cables as well.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I sure did. The SAT cable from the DiseQc switch is connected to the power passing side of the diplexer.

My FTA only acts funny with signal drop if I use the Diseqc switch. Works fine if I connect the cable from the LNB straight to the diplexer.

I tried without the antenna and its the same thing. I tested the SAT input of the diplexers by running it from the LNB only and they are both working fine. Bought the new from rat shack.

What do you mean by Coupler?

Ohh yes I have tested the cables. They are all running fine.

Would I need an amplifier? will it do any good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Files for MercuryII ?

Where's Dr. Gene Scott?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)