Severe space storm heading our way. What can happen to our service from Dish Network?

Such an event can also cause the aurora borealis to be seen far further south than normal - I remember back in the 80's during a sunspot cycle peak there were sightings as far south as Fresno CA. The EMF generated can cause transformers to blow out due to power surges. Supposedly that was what caused a major power outage in Canada a few years back.

Such an event can also cause the aurora borealis to be seen far further south than normal - I remember back in the 80's during a sunspot cycle peak there were sightings as far south as Fresno CA.

We've had three magnificent displays in southern Wisconsin in last 5-6 years. On one of them there were reports of seeing lights as far south as Cuba. On that one, they were not just visible on the northern horizon, they encompassed us, a full 360 degree light show. I took several pictures of them. That was 2-3 years ago.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/121406_northernlights.html?from=wxcenter_news

I'm hoping that the storm levels will stay high enough for later tonight. Figures that the CME had to hit earth with us in the daylight. I have had the opportunity to see the lights here in Colorado a few times in the last few years. I'd love to sit out in the hot tub and watch them again!

Sometime before 5 PM this evening, E! and GSN went down. They're back now. I don't know if this was storm-related.

Sometime before 5 PM this evening, E! and GSN went down. They're back now. I don't know if this was storm-related.
Well, depending on which time zone you're in, there was a pretty big spike in X-Ray energy around 14-Dec-2006 23:00 UTC:

Attachments

• XrayBL.gif
    XrayBL.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 114
Wow, look at this one:

"17 Nov 2006 Kosmos 2423 Satellite disintegrates, leaving 28 trackable objects "

I can see that happening to Echostar V soon if they don't replace it.:rolleyes:

Big spike in aurora activity. I can see them here just west of Denver. So far, sat is looking great, but I'm spending more time outside that in. Auroras should be directly over head in most Northern states east of Montana.

Watching a DVR of Survivor from tonight. More pixelization, blocking, and minor disruptions than I have seen in a LONG time. I couldn't figure out why -- until I remembered this thread.

Local news

Even down here in W. Tx. they talked about it going to be able to see the Aurora. I went outside town to see if I could. Didn't see the Aurora but did see a lot of the Geminid meteor shower.

Wow, look at this one:

"17 Nov 2006 Kosmos 2423 Satellite disintegrates, leaving 28 trackable objects "

I can see that happening to Echostar V soon if they don't replace it.:rolleyes:
I Believe I read that kosmos 2423 was a russian spy satellite

I believe the storm was downgraded to where they believe it would be much milder than originally thought.

Radiation safe areas

Bet those on the shuttle & ISS were going to have to go to the most radiation hardend part of the ISS when it was to happen. BTW LEO's like the XM & Sirus sats would have much less problems since they are close to earth.

DishONLINE and SatelliteGuys In The News

622 usb hdd countdown has begun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)