Status
Please reply by conversation.

xilbus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Ottawa Ont
hi everyone,

Ive seen many threads here about the geosatpro 1.2m. I received my geosatpro a few days ago and i currently have a winegard 1m setup on my sg2100.

has anyone of you seen or heard of a successfull install of a 1.2m on the sg2100 without replacing the tube to a larger 50mm? I dont like the fact that they use 2 u bolts to secure a huge dish like that. its just made to slide off.

With the winegard theres a bolt that you have to put in the sg2100 tube witch i find is the better setup. i dont understand why they choose to go with just 2 ubolts and not even any brackets with teeth.

Personally, I would not hang a 1.2M reflector on a 42mm tube. The standard SG2100 tube diameter is to small for mounting a larger dish. The small diameter tube will not provide a reliable aiming platform. While some forum members sleeve a small tube to build up to the correct diameter, this is not the best solution. There is a reason why many motor resellers sell a 50 or 55mm tube option that is specifically designed for dishes requiring the larger mast mount size.

Some customers add a third u-bolt for additional security if mounting to an undersized mast and installer often use adhesive back non-slip tape inside of a clamp to prevent rotation in extreme winds. Motors that are designed for larger capacity often have a lip on the end of the tube that locks into the groove on the bottom of the inverted GEOSATpro 1.2M mast clamp.

We chose this type of mast design as it provides a sturdy , secure mount (yet light in weight), elevation fine tuning, easily assembled for either fixed mounts or inverted for HH motors.

Mounting a 1.2M dish on a SG2100 with a 42mm tube is like buying an expensive parachute canopy then attaching it to the harness with a few cotton threads.... :D With over 10,000 GEOSATpro 1.2M dishes sold, we have yet to hear of a single GEOSATpro 1.2M dish that has slipped off of a HH motor, but yours might be the first! :eek:

what i did was drill a hole through the motor tube and through the dish bracket then installed a bolt that goes through the shaft and dish bracket....this bolt serves two purposes....it keep the dish from turning an the shaft and it prevents the dish from sliding down the shaft like you said....this one bolt basically holds the dish on the shaft but i still installed the u brackets anyway....i will see if i can find a picture for you.....i know i have one somewhere....i would still get the larger shaft though....

it is hard to see in these pics but the bolt is between the two u-brackets.....i installed this bolt to prevent the dish from rotating on the shaft....it goes through the shaft and through the dish mounting bracket on the side closest to the dish....

i have installed another bolt that is similar to this one that goes through the mounting post and through the motors mounting bracket....this bolt prevents the motor from turning on the mounting post in heavy winds....this bolt is between the motors two u-brackets....this one is very hard to see in the pics....

Attachments

• IMG-20110605-00165.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00165.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG-20110605-00164.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00164.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 163
Thanks Brian and Mikey ,
i did order the larger tube, it should be in this week but i was just wondering if people have installed it without the larger tube. Mikey i was thinking of drilling a hole also. I would love to see your picture if you can find it.
Would black electrical tape placed around the tube help for grip ?

Thanks Brian and Mikey ,
i did order the larger tube, it should be in this week but i was just wondering if people have installed it without the larger tube. Mikey i was thinking of drilling a hole also. I would love to see your picture if you can find it.
Would black electrical tape placed around the tube help for grip ?

just posted pics above.....

thanks for the pics , nice clean install. I will probably do the same once i receive the tube.

Mikey, the brackets that are at the back of the tube. did you purchase them seperately?
those are brackets with teeth. This did not come with my package.

Mickey11's dish shown in his photos is not a GEOSATpro 1.2M. Not sure what brand it is......

Do not use electrical tape. The adhesive becomes like butter when heated and would actually help the clamps spin on the tube.

Use either a piece of water proof coarse grit adhesive backed sand paper or an adhesive backed traction strip that is used on stairs.

Thanks Brian , looking forward to receiving the new tube and testing out this dish compared to the winegard :) the added 3 dbs should help out allot on the cband

i have circled the bolts for better viewing

Attachments

• IMG-20110605-00164.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00164.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-20110605-00165.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00165.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 139
geosat_120cm_2.jpg
The mount that you have posted a picture of was not designed for a ku HH motor. Mounts that were made for ku motors will have a slot cut in them to accommodate the lip that is at the bottom of the motor tube. This lip keeps the dish from sliding on the motor tube and it makes drilling the hole through the motor tube unnecessary.
Attached is a picture of a Geosat 1.2 meter dish mounted to a hh motor. The slot for the motor tube lip is just above the dish elevation rod. GregH

View attachment 66444
The mount that you have posted a picture of was not designed for a ku HH motor. Mounts that were made for ku motors will have a slot cut in them to accommodate the lip that is at the bottom of the motor tube. This lip keeps the dish from sliding on the motor tube and it makes drilling the hole through the motor tube unnecessary.
Attached is a picture of a Geosat 1.2 meter dish mounted to a hh motor. The slot for the motor tube lip is just above the dish elevation rod. GregH

any dish can be used on a motor.....

the SG9120 that i have in the pics has a "lip" on the motor tube at the bottom....this "lip" will prevent the dish from sliding down the motors shaft....that is not the reason i drilled the hole....the reason i drilled the hole and installed the bolt was to prevent the dish from turning/rotating on the shaft....

The dish will not turn or rotate on the shaft if the lip of the motor tube is installed in a dish bracket that was designed for a motor.

Mikey11 said:
yes it can still rotate

You are correct to state that a u-bolt design mast clamp could spin on the motor tube in extreme wind. If the wind was that strong to spin two torqued u-bolts, I would prefer that the dish might instead slip on the tube than to damage or jam the nylon gear of the SG2100. Newer motors with the metal gears don't experience this type of damage or failures.

You are correct to state that a u-bolt design mast clamp could spin on the motor tube in extreme wind. If the wind was that strong to spin two torqued u-bolts, I would prefer that the dish might instead slip on the tube than to damage or jam the nylon gear of the SG2100. Newer motors with the metal gears don't experience this type of damage or failures.

Well I am the type of person who likes to "over-do" things, when I install a dish/motor assembly it will be there for life and will never need adjusting again, wind, rain, snow, hail, sleet, I don't care, it aint moving after I am done with it,

Some of my installs the motor/dish are located in places that are basically not accessible for 4 months of the year because of snow, so I need to make sure it is bullet-proof,

5+ years of installing....number of calls to re-adjust/re-aim a motor/dish....zero

A couple of years ago, I read a post made by a guy who liked to over-do things. He put a commercial dish on a StabHH120 motor and mounted it on the roof by the chimney. It was the only place available where the dish could see through the trees. Everything was fine until he accidentally disabled the East/West limits on his receiver. When he did this, the dish ended up hitting the chimney and breaking the steel gear inside the motor. This is the only time I have heard of a steel gear being broken and I doubt this would have happened if the dish had not been bolted to the motor shaft.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)