Shaw Direct ethernet port

Skylooker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Northeast Indiana
Does anyone have any experience with connecting their Shaw Direct receiver to the internet (ethernet connection) from outside Canada? I heard one person say that it worked, but that they had a HAFH account.

I'm curious if anyone has tried to use any of the on demand services through ethernet and what the result was.

I realize you can use a VPN/proxy if you're worried about it (and I might), but I'm more interested in how it works without any trickery. Thanks!

It worked just fine here hooked proxyless to the internet, but that was a while back, before G1 went up and Shaw got all crazy. I've had it run through a router hooked 24/7 to a VPN since then.

That's what I'm thinking about doing, just running it through my VPN router. I'd rather be safe than sorry with that. Thanks for sharing.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am thinking about trying this with my Shaw receivers to get on demand. What VPN provider are you all using? I am thinking about trying Hidemyass.com, I have read some pretty good things about them.

I've been using hidemyass for almost a year. Works great. I have a dd-wrt router that's setup as my VPN router. Works like a charm and I can also connect my wireless devices to it if I want to stream Canadian programming.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I ended up going with PureVPN. I tried HideMyAss, but the speed was awful on the Canadian server. PureVPN at least for me, provides a speed that is much closer to my DSL speed. I have it configured on an old Linksys router that I had with dd-wrt. It seems to work quite well, and like you said, with a dedicated router and wi-fi you can use the VPN'ed connection on other devices.

I found a place in Canada that had a deal on some VPS and grabbed one that's what I've been using :) Running centos and a simple PPTP server.

Mike Kohl suggested to try the other websites as well like CBC etc.... :)

Thanks for the tip on PureVPN, bobvick. I agree, the speed on the Canadian servers is a bit slow at time with HMA. Once things settle down, I'll have to try PureVPN and compare. Sounds like it would just be a matter of changing a few quick settings on my dd-wrt router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts