Shaw Direct in Georgia, USA Need Help

xdor

Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
USA
Hi, I am trying to get the signal for Shaw Direct in Georgia, USA.
I bought a used 505 receiver, and, in order to get good signal, instead of using
the elliptical antennas, I bought two 76cm offset antennas and two standard LNBs.
I also bought a switch.
I know exactly where to point the dishes to each of the satellites at 107 and 111
degrees west, plus the elevations. But I have spent hours trying to get the
signal and I get nothing.
Being in Georgia should not be any problem to get the signal. I know there are users
getting the signal in Florida, Arizona, California, plus many (hundreds or thousands)
in Mexico. According to the footprints, the 76cm dishes should be more than
enough.
I have tried using channels 299, 252, 700, and nothing. The signal stays at around
19, which means nothing.
Here are more details, hoping somebody can help me:
My LNBs, although being single, have exactly the same frequency parameters than the
"Quad LNBF" given in the setup manuals.
Given that I have those "Quad LNBFs", I have to go to channel 299 according to
the instructions, although it appears this is only for "non-activated receivers",
and mine is used... Then I should go to the dish pointing menu and enter 4128
and try looking for the signal. NOTHING.
I have obtained the sinals for many different systems in the past, when there was
no satpointer.com or anything like that, we had to rely on compasses and sun's
shadows. Systems I worked with were DirecTV, DishNetwork, Sky-Mexico, and
even DirecWay (a 2-way internet provider). And I never had any problem with those!
The seller put a sticker on the receiver that says
"V-code 4380, for dish with Quad-LNBF find satellite in channel 299, for dish
with xKu LNB find satellite in channel 700"
Since I'm using the "Quad-LNBFs", I should use channel 299. But then, what is
"V-code 4380" ?
It appears those codes are used when xKu LNBFs are used. Is it correct?
What I am thinking now is that possibly the receiver was already using the
xKu LNBFs, so right now I will not be able to configure it for Quad-LNBF.
What can I do? I see in forums about asking ShawDirect to "send a signal"
to change LNBF configuration. Of course, If I am not "connected to the satellite"
this is not possible. Is there another way, like a "factory reset" in which
my receiver will again be configured to "Quad-LNBFs"?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I agree that theoretically with such setup you should be able to get signal, (don´t think G1´s but for sure F1 and F2).
Since I have a similar setup using 2 dishes, I agree it should work with your standard (non xku) lnbs, 2 dishes, and a 22khz switch.
Agreed with your dish sizes you´re well covered.
I also agree based on that, you should use ch 299 and the 4128 provider id.

I don´t know about the v code 4380.

I understand that yes, you can do a factory reset on your 505, I´m not sure if that´s the fix for your problem, but here´s how to do it:

For factory reset go to options then 6, 4, and then access the hidden menu by pressing 9-8-8, then you´ll see option 6 for factory reset.

Again, I must emphasize I´m not sure if that will fix your problem, hope I could offer you more comments.

But then, what is "V-code 4380" ?
It appears those codes are used when xKu LNBFs are used

My understanding is that every system has a V-code (XKu or not) that controls which channel map has been downloaded to your receiver. This is a non-user-configurable value that is set by Shaw at the time of authorization of the receiver and is dependent upon (1) the type of LNB you have [quad, xKu, etc] (2) whether you have requested the classic channel numbering or the advanced channel numbering and possibly (3) the model of receiver that you have.

I have legacy DS-3xx receiver and if I tap <Options 6-4-7> on the remote and look at Line F in the resulting screen I see "Network Data Status: 492-4378. I believe the 4378 is the v-code number. I'm using the standard Shaw quad LNB (not XKu) on a 75e Shaw dish and have the classic lineup (channel numbering starts at 100 rather than at 1). The 4378 has never changed in the seven years I have had the system.

The signal stays at around 19, which means nothing.
I believe what this means is that your are getting power up to your LNB, which takes the situation of a broken connection out of the game. A signal level of 19 is normal for a situation where the dish(es) are not pointed correctly.

I'm not at all versed in using switches, but have you considered temporarily connecting the 107 dish directly to your receiver in an attempt to get 299? This would eliminate the possibility of an incompatible switch setup.

Except for a line-of-sight problem, there is no reason that you cannot get a signal in your location.

DJdish:
I know I won't get signal from the new G1 satellite. That's not
a problem for now.
In order to try to get the signal, I am connecting the cable directy to one
of the LNB's, since I have read in other forums that the switch should be added
once the signals are obtained.
Thanks for the information on how to do a hard reset. I just did it. Now I'm
wondering if that will put my receiver back to the standard Quad LNB configuration.
I'm going to try to get the signal tomorrow.
BTW, there is something very unclear about the skew of the LNBs: If I have to
rotate the LNB "30 degrees clockwise" to get the signal in my area, What does it
mean? I mean, 30 degrees from what? Does it mean I start with the coaxial connector
facing down and then rotate it? That's what I have been trying.
Jables:
Yes, my LNBs are linear, "standard" single KU LNBF, "Orbital Tracker" brand,
with the following parameters:
RF Frequency: 11.7-12.2 GHz
IF Frequency: 950-1450 MHz
LO Frequency: 10.750 HHz
Noise Figure: .2 dB
It should definitely work...
Joshuals:
Thanks for your explanations about the codes and about the switches.
I am connecting the cable directy to one of the LNB's, trying to get the signal
from satellite 107. I plan to connect the switch once I get signal from both
satellites.

Thanks, you guys for all your prompt answers.
So can anybody explain me about the LNB skew?
Also, what happens if a receiver configured for "xKu" LNBF is connected to
"Quad" LNBF? Is it the case that there is no signal, like in my case?
What else do you recommend?

xdor.

BTW, there is something very unclear about the skew of the LNBs: If I have to
rotate the LNB "30 degrees clockwise" to get the signal in my area, What does it
mean? I mean, 30 degrees from what? Does it mean I start with the coaxial connector
facing down and then rotate it? That's what I have been trying.

xdor.

Your lnb´s are fine, and yes you should keep the switch out of the equation until you get the signal from one sat first.

I think your understanding of the lnb skew is correct, but let me put it this way:

When you have your lnb with the connector facing straight down, that is your zero position.
I hope I can explain it like this, you are in Georgia and in your general area, 107w is about 30 degrees positive.
So standing behind your dish, you should skew the lnb the 30 degrees, so the connector moves from the central position to your left.
In my case I prefer to think of it as a clock, say in that case if you were facing your dish from the front (not from behind) the connector would be in about a 5 o´clock position, this is just an approximate idea just for illustration purposes, do not take it as hard fact.

You may use this calculator to get the skews, (or dishpointer of course).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/calc.html

I hope you get a signal tomorrow, for the moment I don´t have any other ideas, and unfortunately I don´t know the answer to your other question.

try using channel 354 (Knowledge BC) to tune F1

the 19 signal strength is for having coax connected

the signal meter responds slowly, wait at least 5 seconds with each adjustment of the dish to see if there is a change in the meter before making further adjustment.

Thank you very much everybody. Good news: I got the signal a few days ago.
The solution was the SOFT RESET of the receiver. Well, the reset and the correction on skew.

A few days ago, after it rained the whole day and it was very cloudy, I decided to "give it a try".
Well, believe it or not, right when I went to the pointing dish menu, the signal was 53 already, BEFORE STARTING TO MOVE THE DISH.
So basically I had left it in the right position. A few minutes later I increased the signal to over 60.

I already activated the receiver and I'm able to watch TV. I'm going to try to signal from the second dish soon.

THANKS AGAIN.

Thank you very much everybody. Good news: I got the signal a few days ago.
The solution was the SOFT RESET of the receiver. Well, the reset and the correction on skew.

A few days ago, after it rained the whole day and it was very cloudy, I decided to "give it a try".
Well, believe it or not, right when I went to the pointing dish menu, the signal was 53 already, BEFORE STARTING TO MOVE THE DISH.
So basically I had left it in the right position. A few minutes later I increased the signal to over 60.

I already activated the receiver and I'm able to watch TV. I'm going to try to signal from the second dish soon.

THANKS AGAIN.

I was wondering how it went with you, and I´m glad to read your report, so your dish was already aimed in the right direction.;)

DJdish,

Thanks again, you are the guy!
I really appreciate your help. both your the your LNB skew changes and the FACTORY RESET you recommended worked very well.
Now, in order to find the signal for the second dish, what do you recommend?
First of all, I don't put the switch yet, right? (until I find the signal).
Second, Any channel I try, I go to the "Tune in satellite signal menu" (while still pointing to the 107 degree satellite), I'll always get signal, no matter what channel I'm tuned to. What's wrong? Shouldn't I get signal only for those channes being broadcasted by such satellite?
I was trying to get no signal from one of the channels that comes from the 111 degree satellite, and then try to point the dish to get the signal.

Thanks again.

xdor

DJdish,

Thanks again, you are the guy!
I really appreciate your help. both your the your LNB skew changes and the FACTORY RESET you recommended worked very well.
Now, in order to find the signal for the second dish, what do you recommend?
First of all, I don't put the switch yet, right? (until I find the signal).
Second, Any channel I try, I go to the "Tune in satellite signal menu" (while still pointing to the 107 degree satellite), I'll always get signal, no matter what channel I'm tuned to. What's wrong? Shouldn't I get signal only for those channes being broadcasted by such satellite?
I was trying to get no signal from one of the channels that comes from the 111 degree satellite, and then try to point the dish to get the signal.

Thanks again.

xdor

Yes, you´re right keep the switch out of the process until you also lock F2´s signal.
Now if you only connect the cable coming from 111 to the receiver, you should try to follow the same process as when you locked on 107.
Channels coming from 111 in your 505 are 70 APTN, and some of the french language channels like 711,712,715.730.

With the cable coming now only from 111, and locking on, you shouldn´t get a signal from channels coming from 107, channel 69 (TLN) for example.

The skew should be about the same as in 107, but of course you´ll have to tweak it to maximize your signal.
And then only until you have locked signals from both sats, one dish pointing to each one, then you can add the 22khz switch, the 22khz goes on the 111 (F2)side.

I currently use an Ecoda switch like the one below.

http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1371&ws_cat=429

This is another 22khz switch that I´ve used in the past

http://www.cyberestore.com/satellite/diseqc-multi-switches-amps/22-khz-2-way-switch-sw-21k.html

Let us know how it goes.

Why don't you duplicate the settings on the 2nd dish so that it also gets 107 at the same signal strength?
Then it's just a matter of going slightly lower in elevation and then west to get 111, while tuned to one of its channels. Skew can be fine tuned once you get there, as it should be within 4-5 degrees of 107.

Only connect the 22 KHz switch AFTER you have both working. 22 K to 111 and 0 KHz to 107 satellite.

Thank you very much, DJdish.
I am now enjoying all the channels for which I subscribed.

I'm going to detail all my installation steps in another thread.

xdor.

Thank you very much, DJdish.
I am now enjoying all the channels for which I subscribed.

I'm going to detail all my installation steps in another thread.

xdor.

Sweet ;) and don´t forget to take advantage of the freeview channels just in case you´re not subscribed to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)