Should I switch to Dish network?

I have always had Dish and for the most part am very happy with them , not a sports fan at all but like others have said you are the only one that can decide which service offers what you need. There are always pro and cons with everything.

Same here been a happy customer for the most part since 1998. The pricing is great compared to Directv. Keep in mind if you want NFL Sunday Ticket you'll have to go Directv.
Bob

I have always had Dish and for the most part am very happy with them , not a sports fan at all but like others have said you are the only one that can decide which service offers what you need. There are always pro and cons with everything.

Well...if its all about MLB. I cant and dont understand why Direct charges $209 for MLB and you can get it on line starting at $99....

You can go very cheap with Dish if you just want movies. AT120 is low priced if you do not watch much outside of the movie channels. Platinum adds a lot of movies on demand.

You need to identify which channels you watch. Then see which provider has them in HD if that is important. Then see which packages you would have to get to get the programs you want. Then you can compare pricing.

As many have said it comes down to the programming you like. As far as "sports" go, if it does not bother you that some of your local RSN gmaes may not be shown in HD then thats one less thing to worry about, for some that may be a bother for other may not be. Take at look at what type of set up you may need.

Yet the one that is currently on the bubble is YES on DIRECTV. DIRECTV is having their share of disputes lately.

really?
Lets see....
YES....but they are working towards an agreement
some locals...but they are back
and G4 which D* dropped

How many has Dish had latelly? And how many channels were dropped?

Sports?

OR, if you are like me and your sports are Hockey, Curling, Crashed Ice, Track and Field, etc. pick Shaw Direct.....

Seriously, my other system is Dish that is the only US system I have ever used. I am tempted to switch to Direct because of the current promotion but after reading about some bugs I'm not so sure.

You can go very cheap with Dish if you just want movies. AT120 is low priced if you do not watch much outside of the movie channels. Platinum adds a lot of movies on demand.

You need to identify which channels you watch. Then see which provider has them in HD if that is important. Then see which packages you would have to get to get the programs you want. Then you can compare pricing.

When I was with dish all those RSNs were HD.:D

If you just care about your local sports teams, AND Dish carries your local RSN, AND you don't mind watching some of the games in SD because Dish doesn't have enough bandwidth dedicated to HD sports, then you will be happy with Dish (as far as sports goes).

If you live in the areas missing the local RSN (New York and surrounding area, Philadelphia, San Diego, multiple "fringe" areas of a team's market), or if you want to watch ALL of your local games in HD, or if you want out-of-market pro sports packages (esp. NFL, MLB, or anything that is HD), or if you want to watch replays or other RSN programming in HD, or if you like college and minor pro sports (esp. in HD), then do not choose Dish.

Bull? It is a pretty well known fact that Dish isn't great for sports. In the NY area it is terrible. You would figure a game like Yankee's opening day on ESPN could be seen even without Yes, but it was blacked out for those of us with Dish. Now I don't live in other areas, but from my understanding Dish is lacking in HD feeds of many of the local RSN's that they do carry. Also they are lacking channels in Philly, I believe San Diego, and also some other areas.
If you only like football, then you can watch on national channels, and Dish does of course carry the NFL network, which I do commend them for . Cablevision and Time Warner cable, both in NY, still haven't worked out an agreement with the NFL network, which is one reason that I don't have cable, but not having any of the RSN's in the largest sports market in the country, is a pretty poor decision on Chucks part in my opinion.

To the OP: After reading all of the conflicting viewpoints here, are you more confused than ever, or have you reached a decision??

Or, possibly are you scared off??

Note that the op pretty much said they were no longer interested in the sports programming but wanted movie programming. All the RSN HD issues are probably not important. OP mentioned that they now get their NFL games another way. Again they have to evaluate what is on each provider, just because sports is important to some does not mean it makes a difference to everyone.

Absolutely, make the "leap of faith" to Dish.

Aside from the occasional programming dispute, overall it's a good choice (better than cable).
For example you may go with the Dish America pack and add all of your movie packs and still get your local sports.

You may want to check with different dealers to see who offers the best deal.

However, if you require multiple receivers then you better stay with D*

Aside from the mediocre HD picture quality, numerous channel disputes, downward spiral of the company, and the very likely disabling of DVR's...it's a great choice. Haha! Go with DIRECTV if you want to spend your money wisely.

Sports aren't that Important. Correction, I have to watch my NY JETS. Found a site online that broadcasts the games for free. Found myself being pissed that I spent $$ for NFL ticket when that site existed. This time of year is my down time for sports. I do like to catch a few Braves games a season. I believe I could watch them on Sports South? I want Movies, Movies, and more Movies in HD! Leaning toward Dish network. I am a little leery hearing that they have been dropping channels lately. Thats not good. The picture quality debate. I saw a Dish Network booth setup at my local mall and the HD picture quality looked great to me. I couldn't tell a difference. Hope that's the case for everyone else? I'll decide in a couple of days if I stay or jump ship to Dish.

-N

Well if it really comes down to movies for you, then I guess it just comes down to pricing. I would compare both providers and see how much each one would cost you over a 24 month period after you add/subtract all promotions and any one-time fees if necessary.

Absolutely, make the "leap of faith" to Dish.

Aside from the occasional programming dispute, overall it's a good choice (better than cable).
For example you may go with the Dish America pack and add all of your movie packs and still get your local sports.

You may want to check with different dealers to see who offers the best deal.

However, if you require multiple receivers then you better stay with D*

Not better than cable in Chicago. I have COMCAST and have better choices especially when it comes to local programming. DISH doesn't carry any sub-channels-COMCAST DOES. CLTV-not on DISH,on COMCAST. MLB Net and MLB EI-not on DISH,on COMCAST. And don't even get started with VOD. COMCAST BLOWS DISH AWAY on VOD.
And you CAN"T always get your local sports with DISH. How's local sports going over for DISH subs in New York.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)