Show info on hws

Joe891

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Has anyone else had issues where the shows aren't showing an image for the show anymore? It just shows the channel icon where it used to show show artwork and actor images

I've been waiting to see if anyone else has posted on this, thinking that only I have notice all kinds of things since S542-4 on HwS.
1. All kept daily and nightly serial shows have lost their S, E, designations and all titles, descriptions and icons are the same and generic for those shows. As of 2/17 the correct info is being listed now. But not on the previously changed info, that was once there and not now. Show icons have been changing around for months. And at least once in the rotation they have the correct icon and then it gets changed to one of several generics and most have nothing to do with the program.
2. Guide listings for a series of shows that show daily that have followed each other for years are now under one generic title and there are no S, E, and the descriptions are the same, brief and generic. No markings of "new". Timers are not recording these shows. I have had to create new specialize timers to grab a "generic" show.

For years, the guide has always been a sore spot for me, but now it's inaccuracies are creeping over into correctly labeled programs that have been recorded on top of the ones that start off incorrect. It amazes me that after all these years DISH can't seem to get this in order. Truly amazing that part of a company's product that is dependent on accurate metadata just can't seem to get it together after many many years. And always something new to entertain us as a new feature although it's a fatal flaw that makes it very difficult to operate these things.

I've been waiting to see if anyone else has posted on this, thinking that only I have notice all kinds of things since S542-4 on HwS.
1. All kept daily and nightly serial shows have lost their S, E, designations and all titles, descriptions and icons are the same and generic for those shows. As of 2/17 the correct info is being listed now. But not on the previously changed info, that was once there and not now. Show icons have been changing around for months. And at least once in the rotation they have the correct icon and then it gets changed to one of several generics and most have nothing to do with the program.
2. Guide listings for a series of shows that show daily that have followed each other for years are now under one generic title and there are no S, E, and the descriptions are the same, brief and generic. No markings of "new". Timers are not recording these shows. I have had to create new specialize timers to grab a "generic" show.

For years, the guide has always been a sore spot for me, but now it's inaccuracies are creeping over into correctly labeled programs that have been recorded on top of the ones that start off incorrect. It amazes me that after all these years DISH can't seem to get this in order. Truly amazing that part of a company's product that is dependent on accurate metadata just can't seem to get it together after many many years. And always something new to entertain us as a new feature although it's a fatal flaw that makes it very difficult to operate these things.
My hws is on cui but I too was waiting to see if anyone else would post about it, for me my guide data has been working fine for the most part just the artwork for the show is either a generic image with the show title in plain text or it shows the channel logo in place. But as the others at the topening were saying that makes sense with the change in guide data providers

Seeing this issue on Hopper w/sling, not H3. Icons went away a week ago and still won't return. Also broke every timer, had to recreate them all from scratch to get anything to record. Dish doesn't seem to care and apparently will not solve this.

Seeing this issue on Hopper w/sling, not H3. Icons went away a week ago and still won't return. Also broke every timer, had to recreate them all from scratch to get anything to record. Dish doesn't seem to care and apparently will not solve this.
I always find it a interesting why people with the same equipment have such different experiences with Dish. I also have a HWS but I don't have the missing icon problem, and my timers are still working correctly. Weird! Do you have the new CUI on your HWS, or the old standard interface? I still have the old interface.

I also have 2 hopper with sling receivers. Both are still running the old software S544 that I received on 2/3/2017. The guide had a truncated description for several days a couple of weeks ago but the guide has returned to normal for the last week or so. All of my timers have always worked. In fact I have not experienced any of the problems that others are reporting. I have 3 external hard drives that all work flawlessly. Netflix and all of the applications all work on both HWS receivers and on my Joey 2. That is why I am in no hurry to adopt the new interface.

I always find it a interesting why people with the same equipment have such different experiences with Dish. I also have a HWS but I don't have the missing icon problem, and my timers are still working correctly. Weird! Do you have the new CUI on your HWS, or the old standard interface? I still have the old interface.

S531 last updated 7/1/2016 It has the same UI it has always had. I have wondered why it hasn't ever received any updates for so long.

S531 last updated 7/1/2016 It has the same UI it has always had. I have wondered why it hasn't ever received any updates for so long.
Yes, that is very old firmware. My HWS has S544. Your receiver should have updated by now! Have you tried pulling the AC plug to reset the receiver?

Yes, that is very old firmware. My HWS has S544. Your receiver should have updated by now! Have you tried pulling the AC plug to reset the receiver?

No, It reboots itself every day, I suppose I could try that. Hard to say if it would make any difference.

Make sure that all receivers including the joeys are off and no recordings are scheduled and you should receive the update.

Make sure that all receivers including the joeys are off and no recordings are scheduled and you should receive the update.

There is only one hopper and one joey linked to it. The joey is always off at night. I rarely have recordings at night either. Often I am up when it decides to do it's reboot at 1:30ish AM every day. Usually I let it do it's thing. It always reboots, then downloads the guide with a message saying 'Software S531 is up to date'. I monitored this process last night. Which satellite do updates stream from? I am in Alaska so we only have a small subset of transponders on 129, and we have 119. 110 is behind mountains so I don't have that one at all, never have.

I did just do a 'pull the plug' reset, and ran a check switch. The check switch went normally except it noted that it deleted a duplicate 119 entry on an unused port of the switch. That also caused it to do a live guide update (where it displays the progress bar on top of live tv). Unfortunately this still hasn't solved the guide icon and timer issue.

I have two timers for most everything now, the original timers, and new ones that actually work. Up until this morning when I highlight the old timers in the list they would show the show icon on the side bar. Yesterday I noticed that many of those icons had changed, today all icons are now gone, on old and new timers.

The old timers I had for a M-F type when showing the timer schedule show incorrect event for every day. 'New' style timers simply find no instances to record. Replacement timers all seem to work perfectly normal. I have left the old ones in place in case this guide issue reverts and causes the new timers to break and the old to start working again...

All of this coincides with the descriptions becoming truncated crap, along with the episode and season numbers going away and being replaced with a single, inaccurate episode number.