Signal strength question

qwacker2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
I've had progressively worse signal strength - probably need a repeak. But the borderline reception has brought up another question. I can get some channels just fine, while others have reception problems (pixelation, freeze, etc - basically low signal). Intuitively, I would have thought HD channels would be worse, since it should require more data for a solid picture, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Tonight, I was checking for the Free Showime channels, and about the only one I get is the HD channel - others are just black - not even a no signal message. Checking signal strength, it is definitely lower on some channels than others (69 on blank channels - 77 on received channel). I would have though that with a digital signal, signal strength should be the same on all channels. What's going on here?

qwacker2--sounds like you definitely need to get the dish realigned. With ss of only 77, I'm surprised you can even get a picture. The signal strength is not a constant measurement. If you go into the system setttings and leave the display of signal strength on, it will vary up and down by a few points every couple of seconds. As long as you can maintain something around 85-86, you'll get a picture, but the signal strength should be much higher.

There are a lot of threads dealing with re-pointing/re-aiming, but that's what you need.

qwacker2, what are you signal quality readings for satellite channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)