Since PTAT only saves data for up to 8 days...?

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Since PTAT only saves data for up to 8 days and then its over written, what does one do when they go on vacation and they are unable to copy shows over to their personal partition?

The only solution I could think of would be to:
A. Turn PTAT whilst on vacation and set manual timers

Though doing so would put you in jeopardy of having schedule conflict due to only 3 tuners. That said I am sure (hoping) there are other solutions to this if this is the case it defeats the purpose of having DVR.

Comments and insight welcome.

Disclaimer ( I do not have a Hopper setup so I could be completely wrong with my above understanding.)

Hopper has a specific feature for that. With PTAT on, in addition you set up a regular timer, this will NOT use up another tuner, it will record from the same tuner as PTAT, but since it is a regular timer it will put it in your section not the PTAT section.

Actually, it puts it in BOTH places for the 8 days.

It puts it on PTAT for 8 days but as long as you have space or protect it, forever in the regular space.... As I am told by the one person I know who has it. If you know that from personal usage I'll have to see what he did to have it stay in the regular space.
It doesn't make sense that somehow it would get erased from the regular space, it's a regular recording that's putting it there.

So you are saying that they 8 day deletion/overwritten rule would apply to data written to the personal partition if the data was sourced from PTAT?
NO, it will be there until you delete it, unless you run out of room.
If that is the case then there is no solution at this time.

Right, but during the 8 day window, you can access it from BOTH my recordings, and the PTAT folder.

The PTAT recordings will only be in both folders for 8 days if you save the record to the hard drive and then transferred to a folder.

MikeJH@DISH Network said:
The PTAT recordings will only be in both folders for 8 days if you save the record to the hard drive and then transferred to a folder.

What exactly do you mean by "then transferred to a folder"? I don't currently use folders, but I do create manual timers for the shows that I watch. I've created series timers for these shows to record "new" episodes and so far these shows are appearing in the PTAT folder and also in my recordings. So are you saying that unless I save them into a folder then they'll be gone after 8 days?

So this is back to the crux of why I started this thread.Simply put:

If I go on holiday for 17 days, what do I need to do to make sure that the prime time shows that I watch are all available to me when I return?

From the response thus far it would seem the only options is again to turn of PTAT and set manual recording.

Is this correct?

Set timers for the PTAT shows that you want. they will be in your "My Recordings" section when you get home and will not use additional tuners. They will show "Skipped" in the "Daily Schedule" but they will be saved where you want them.

The only time you need to unskip one and use a tuner is for a show ending at 11PM that you have set to record more than 5 minutes extra time.

Set timers for the PTAT shows that you want. they will be in your "My Recordings" section when you get home and will not use additional tuners. They will show "Skipped" in the "Daily Schedule" but they will be saved where you want them.

Thank you...

1. Set manual timers for all PTAT content and it will be stored in "My Recording"
2. Tuner conflicts will be avoided as the manual timers will use the PTAT tuner method to capture the content.

Okay...if this is correct, I hope there is an easy way to create all those manual timers.

The only time you need to unskip one and use a tuner is for a show ending at 11PM that you have set to record more than 5 minutes extra time.

Intresting, I was told by tech section that you need to manually save each PTAT program each week. Have you tried this and it worked? I currently have 2 hoppers, one with active PTAT and one without but with individual timers set that I want to save without going to PTAT everyweek. I did this because initially I set times and noticed that they showed "skipped".

Moe

Paradox-SJ said:
Thank you...

1. Set manual timers for all PTAT content and it will be stored in "My Recording"
2. Tuner conflicts will be avoided as the manual timers will use the PTAT tuner method to capture the content.

Okay...if this is correct, I hope there is an easy way to create all those manual timers.

If you know you're interested in a show, I would just create series timers rather than manual ones for individual events. That'll let you set it once and forget it.

The folder option is available for customers to organize their recordings like on a computer. If you select a PTAT recording and save it, then it will be saved to the hard drive. Do you currently have PTAT enabled? If you have PTAT and a timer created for "new" episodes then you will have recording showing up in the PTAT folder and in my recordings.

What exactly do you mean by "then transferred to a folder"? I don't currently use folders, but I do create manual timers for the shows that I watch. I've created series timers for these shows to record "new" episodes and so far these shows are appearing in the PTAT folder and also in my recordings. So are you saying that unless I save them into a folder then they'll be gone after 8 days?

This not rocket science, If a show is in "My Recordings", folder or not, it is saved, at least until your drive is full.

True but that is / was not the unknown variable...

It was stated that content in BOTH folders would be deleted every 8 days....and
That the manual timer (dish pass etc) will use the PTAT tuner method to capture the PT content thus avoiding tuner conflicts

No I feel the posts may be misleading. I do not think the regular recordings get deleted that makes no sense.

Turn on PTAT. let it record all four networks.
Now look at the programs each night you want to be sure stays more than eight days.
Make an additional regular timer for those network shows. Each regular timer WILL NOT use an additional tuner, it will record from the same place the PTAT does.
The regular timer will save your program without losing it, assuming of course you do not run out of hard drive space.
The PTAT will still save those programs in it's space, for eight days.

The plus of doing this, is you can still use the other two tuners for other non network programming.

Again this is what my friend who has the Hopper said he does and just confirmed with me. I am going by that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts