Slow Hopper 1, need free upgrade

littlecloud319

Tech guru
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Black Creek WI
My hopper 1 has been so laggy and slow, constantly having more problems. Recently I am no longer able to record properly, just get a black screen no audio all the way through the episode. If anyone knows how to "fix" it that would be awesome. Dish won't replace it because it doesn't have error codes. Trying to get HWS upgrade free but no luck so far. Seriously thinking about switching to DirecTv. Maybe DIRT can Help.

Mine was ok until the new software a couple days ago, then it crawled. Decided to upgrade to h3 for the $100 fee (which is a total rip off, since you're basically forced if you want functionality). Now it's fast! 2 ehds perform much better. Well worth the upgrade, but I really think Dish should make it free of they want to retain customers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
My hopper 1 has been so laggy and slow, constantly having more problems. Recently I am no longer able to record properly, just get a black screen no audio all the way through the episode. If anyone knows how to "fix" it that would be awesome. Dish won't replace it because it doesn't have error codes. Trying to get HWS upgrade free but no luck so far. Seriously thinking about switching to DirecTv. Maybe DIRT can Help.

Call Dish and tell them you're going to switch unless they upgrade your equipment. If that doesn't work for you then cancel your service and sign back up as a new customer in a couple months. With summer starting it's a good time of the year to go without TV for a bit.

Call Dish and tell them you're going to switch unless they upgrade your equipment. If that doesn't work for you then cancel your service and sign back up as a new customer in a couple months. With summer starting it's a good time of the year to go without TV for a bit.
I already threatened to cancel. Didn't work.

Mine was ok until the new software a couple days ago, then it crawled. Decided to upgrade to h3 for the $100 fee (which is a total rip off, since you're basically forced if you want functionality). Now it's fast! 2 ehds perform much better. Well worth the upgrade, but I really think Dish should make it free of they want to retain customers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
They told me $150 to upgrade. I talked to one rep who talked to his supervisor and said I could get the HWS as a free upgrade but had to send me to an advanced technician who wouldn't give it to me because my receiver doesn't have an error code.

You could tell them it's continually rebooting and doesn't make it past the Hopper logo..... ;)

I'm not sure if they'd replace it with another H1, but you'd possibly get an H2. An H3 will likely still cost you money since you're requesting more than what they consider 'equal'.

My cancellation fee would be higher than the upgrade. I guest I just gotta save up for the upgrade
Tell them that it constantly reboots and has stopped recording. When they try to walk you through the various troubleshooting steps, tell them you now have a blank screen. If Dish won't upgrade you, then they can at least get you a Hopper that works correctly.

With a Hopper 1, how could be be under a contract ? Taking advantage of a programming offer ?

I wondered that too. He either signed a new contract for some other promotion or he just assumes he's still under contract. Regardless of any of that, all it takes is knowing what to say when on the phone with Dish. I've had the benefit of being in the business for years so I never let a CSR tell me what was right or wrong with my system because I know that I knew more than them.

Basically, you just call until you get a CSR that is competent and tell them that the receiver is not working properly and needs to be replaced. Then you tell them that you'd like to upgrade to their newest equipment and you'd be willing to renew a contract if they do it for free. If you're not willing to renew a contract then don't expect it for free. If none of that works then just cancel service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)