Smallest EMWIN antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I've now found a downconverter for just under $1000:
winradio.com/home/g400.htm

Still more than I'm willing to pay but at least now I know there's another option other than Quorum.

The thing is we should not necessarily need a downconverter - if it turns out we are stuck needing one, then this seems to be a software limitation. The goes-r downconverter IS open source I do believe - not that I'm not willing to use USA-SATCOM's stuff I'm just saying.

Uh huh, open source:
http://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/EMWIN_HRIT.zip

Yep, it's open source. Unfortunately I'm a PHP developer. I have very little experience with C++ (which I'm assuming is what that software is written in) outside of micro-controller programming.

For anyone interested, the dartcom usb receiver/software is $3700. It's designed to work with the feed/downconverter from quorum which costs $1900.

Found a cheaper downconverter:
hsmicrowave.com/page46.html

Unfortunately they never pick up the phone and don't return messages. I've tried the past two days. Phones calls and a email. Based on the address, I think it's one guy running a business out of his home. There's nothing wrong with that but if he doesn't ever return sales calls or emails then what's the point.

Well, I've tried pretty much everything at this point with the hardware I have on hand. I've ordered a downconverter and I'll see what I can do with that when it gets here in a couple of weeks.

Same here. I have focused on trying to spoonfeed parts of the SETI data from goes-13 into one of the existing public demodulators with no joy.

I'm thinking it might be easier if I use a 1.2m dish instead of the grid antenna/dish I'm using now. Basically, I think you can get away with the grid antenna if you're using a very good LNB or a LNA with receiving hardware tuned for ~1692. With hobbyist gear, I think the larger dish might be needed.

Well...I can now say that the SDRPlay hooked to the feedpoint of my mesh dish will/does work. I am seeing a signal right where
it should be. I have recored a IQ file for Joe and wait to hear back on if he can decode the EMWIN data from it. My dish is a Laird DC24(40x24")...I had
an extra feed and cut it open and reworked for 1700Mhz(was just a dipole inside). This dish was for a PtP wifi link, but the Laird spec sheet
said it would go down to 1700Mhz(close enuff!!)

Just an update
Trip - KT4WO

Pretty cool!!
BTW, Trip you are not far from me, I am in Murphy.

I just moved a few month back...was on Needmore(near gorge) now on Barkers Creek just outside of Dillsboro.
Have a good view of the S sky...except....for TREES!....haha ....
But,,,I have a big chainsaw, so plan on fixing that issue.

Trip - KT4WO

I did not try it with the 2.4Ghz feed....since I had an extra one. I will take a few shots this eve when
I get home and post for ya. All I did was use a thin strip of copper flashing(cut from a sheet I had) to add length to the
exsisting dipole and reflector.(It is just a etched board inside, so I just soldered the extra copper to it then trimmed)

I really don't know if the signal I am RXing is strong enough...as I have never done this...but it does "stand out" from the background
on the waterfall. I don't recall exactly...but it seems it was 100-150K wide????Maybe??.

Trip - KT4WO

Hello,

EMWIN software as well as LRIT will be available soon.

EMWIN is a stronger signal from GOES (versus LRIT, which requires larger dish). The smallest dish i have tested it with is 1.2m. I have only tested with AirSpy and RFSpace SDRs. Others are possible but require someway to get IQ data on the network - as that is the interface the decoder expects.

EMWIN uses viterbi as well as RS error correction and so you can get away with a fairly low signal, about 5dB is absolute minimum. If you want 24x7 operation that is error free, probably a few extra dBs for margin.

An LNA is a must with any usual SDR, as the NF are just too high at l-band.

Joe

Great work on your decoder Joe! I am a big fan of yours!!!! - I just didn't want to be a thorn in your side.

OK...here are a few pics of my setup....very, very basic and as it turns out,,,,about 2db too low.

Attachments

• IMG_20160307_171427110.jpg
    IMG_20160307_171427110.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20160307_171447455_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160307_171447455_HDR.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20160307_171500528_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160307_171500528_HDR.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: k.r.
I will try rotating the feed/dish/house to get a better signal....But Joe said what I have now is not enuff.
If that does not work.....then time for a LNA or ......BUD.
Trip - KT4WO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)