Smoking Meat?

Mark_AR said:
Fight nice...

I was on FoodTV(Cooking Live with Sarah Moultin - show#CL9312) back in the day. I have the tape here somewhere.

Anywho... Forget buying anything. The best way to learn about cooking/BBQ/Smoking is to DO IT!

The only time I advocate going by a recipe is when curing. If you don't use prague powder(sodium nitrite), you can spoil your product and get *very* sick.

Maybe I should sell some *how-to* courses.. :p

I think you should start selling some of those books Mark... You could be saving a lot of folks from getting sick... You may even save a life or two, Mark... It's always nice to have cooking information, in book form...

Thanx Mark, and make sure you let us know about your Publications...

Mesquite is a more harsh smoke and should be done very lightly for shorter times. The most consistant World Champion smokers have used pecan, apple and hickory. Pecan and cherry are two of my favorites; hickory is always an old standby and easy to obtain.

charper1 said:
Mesquite is a more harsh smoke and should be done very lightly for shorter times. The most consistant World Champion smokers have used pecan, apple and hickory. Pecan and cherry are two of my favorites; hickory is always an old standby and easy to obtain.

Did last Thanksgivings turkey using apple and cherry, used an apple cider brine and beer can method. Everyone said it was the best turkey they had ever had. I have to agree, it was worth getting up in the dark for, I plan on doing it again this year. :hungry:

NightRyder

I smoked/grilled some corn on the cob tonight. Mixed 2/3 cp butter with 4 tbs fresh cilantro, 1/3 tsp cumin, garlic salt and pepper. melted the butter down, brushed the corn every few minutes, then sprayed a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar on the corn. All the while I had a pouch of hickory on the grill. MMMMMM

NightRyder said:
Did last Thanksgivings turkey using apple and cherry, used an apple cider brine and beer can method. Everyone said it was the best turkey they had ever had. I have to agree, it was worth getting up in the dark for, I plan on doing it again this year. :hungry: NightRyder

Thats funny too. I always seem to wait till around Thanksgiving to think about the bird, but maybe one or two will find their way into the smokers this summer.

Will Smoke em tomarrow... taste test to follow :) same smoker(different levels), start with mesquite charcoal and finish with mesquite roots and branches (from my land and dry for sure because of this drought) I will however probably brush on a mixture of butter, garlic powder and other ingredients during the smoke (minimized to eliminate loss of heat and smoke and if heat not up to snuff will not open)

Last edited:
Instead of butter, try some apple juice (or cider) with the garlic mixed in a spray bottle. Mist it on the meat every 20 minutes. Make sure to let the meat achieve room temp before placing it in the 250 deg smoke. Are you brining the meat first or just a dry rub?

dry rub on one (Garlic, mixture of seasoning salt,lite salt(potash), black and red pepper, Onion flakes plus...) ... Dr Pepper(dry rub(previous mixture)) on other, Claudes brisket sauce on chicken...plus(previous mentioned) rub... will start coals ( no starter fluid, chimney) when I get up and place in smoker when it and meat is ready...

Last edited:
Yep, thats one of the greatest things about smoking meat; you have entrees lined up for days afterward. I also decided to pick up some loin side pork belly, after 16 years of smoking, I am finally going to try to smoke my own bacon. It is in the brine now. God I want a BLT.