So Tired of Dish Networks games ......

comcast offeres a FREE adapter for secondary tvs once you have a digital box...

scrolling guide but fine for kids rooms and secondary tvs....... has about 40 channels

comcast offeres a FREE adapter for secondary tvs once you have a digital box...

scrolling guide but fine for kids rooms and secondary tvs....... has about 40 channels

I know some things about Comcast one is they have a great On Demand(have relatives with Comcast) and their triple play offers looks good also. Of course I am in a Charter area which sucks!.:rant:

I've been a E* sub since 1998. I'm currently contemplating between staying and going HTPC w/offair, Netflix, MyMovies (600 movies on Windows Home Server) & Hulu Plus (when released to the general public). I'm not a fan of D* and the wife would NEVER put up with the HR series DVR's and strange channel order as experienced at family's house. Keeping the $94.00 a month in my pocket is awfully tempting also, especially with, between me and the spouse, reduced pay AND hours at our jobs.

If your wife wouldn't go with a D* HDDVR, how do you think she's going to feel about the much more convoluted HTPC route?

I have to add my $.02 and my recent experience.

Trying to save some money here and there (see my posts under XM forum also) and I was not happy either with the $17 2nd DVR fee.

Emailed CEO, explained how the 622 and 722 were pushed on customers back in the day and proposed they swap 1 out with a 211.

Not surprisingly, they agreed, no charge, waived the return label fee in exchange for a 2 year extension on my contract.

Each of my CEO experiences have been positive and professional, admittedly they have never told me "no" to a request, maybe my account is "special".

Been a sub for 3 years and on autopay/paperless for most of the time. Unless something drastic happens, it looks like they locked my up for 2 more years.

If your wife wouldn't go with a D* HDDVR, how do you think she's going to feel about the much more convoluted HTPC route?
Actually she navigates 7MC, including live/recorded tv and MyMovies, just fine with nothing more than a media center remote - keyboard doesn't get used unless we desire browser based video (Hulu, Youtube, Crunchyroll, etc). The guide is much quicker than anything else I've seen - due to less data, I guess. My desire is that everyone makes plugins for 7MC (like Netflix did) so we never need to leave the 7MC interface. What's gonna be hard to deal with is the total lack of sports.

Actually she navigates 7MC, including live/recorded tv and MyMovies, just fine with nothing more than a media center remote - keyboard doesn't get used unless we desire browser based video (Hulu, Youtube, Crunchyroll, etc). The guide is much quicker than anything else I've seen - due to less data, I guess. My desire is that everyone makes plugins for 7MC (like Netflix did) so we never need to leave the 7MC interface. What's gonna be hard to deal with is the total lack of sports.

Yes, 7MC is very good and so simple to use. But as you note, lots of video sources aren't there and that's when things get convoluted.

Something I just added to my HTPC mix is Mobile Mouse for my iPad. Since I have the iPad right beside me when I'm watching TV, this little app really does the trick. Mouse control, keyboard and special controllers depending on what program you are in all make it very nice to use with HTPC. Works with Windows or Mac too.

Here's an instance where you have to be smarter than Dish TV is. I did everything completely different than you did. First of all, I didn't give them 30 days notice . .That's ridiculous. You were setting yourself up for the treatment you got.

I waited until DirecTV completed their install, and called them that afternoon. Cancel my subscription . . I just signed a contract with Direct TV.

CSR: Thank you very much, sir. We have enjoyed having you as a customer.

End of story. That's how you do it next time.

Here's an instance where you have to be smarter than Dish TV is. I did everything completely different than you did. First of all, I didn't give them 30 days notice . .That's ridiculous. You were setting yourself up for the treatment you got.

I waited until DirecTV completed their install, and called them that afternoon. Cancel my subscription . . I just signed a contract with Direct TV.

CSR: Thank you very much, sir. We have enjoyed having you as a customer.

End of story. That's how you do it next time.

Then after your "special deals" ends you look in the mirror and say"What the heck did I get myself into"?.:eek:;)

Dang whatchel 1 your getting a hell of a resume.;):D

Just like myself I'm not HD but SD so if I needed another 625 it would be $17 right?
Well my America's Everything Package went down by almost $3.,then I would be charged $10. for 2 extra DVRs at that other place(which we all know).Then it would be $3. for MRV and I'm not including the charge for SWM and DECA ($150) so after taxes I break even(not even going to add upfront fees) he shoots! he scores! with DISH!.:eek:;):)

How many DVRs do you need? With only 2 DVRs it is only $5 for the additional receiver, like it is with all receivers.

You also do not need to use a DECA or SWM. You can use your router and pay $0. If you do pay the $150, that is a one time installation fee. So, why are you including it as part of your other monthly charges?

Upfront fees, besides the DECA install which is not needed, are pretty much $0.

Dodger King: I was talking about if I needed to add another 625 which would be for a total of 4 TVs so it would be $10..Plus as I quoted I never figured in the SWM&DECA and up front fees.Hope this helps clarify my statement.:)

Agree, I would have kept my service, If I was assured the fee's were set at $17 , while I think thats way high, I would have accepted it, But, Now they raised base packs $2 granted HD free,
But with their channels moves , I would still need platinum, so that still and increase of $2, now Multi Sprorts pack, $7 another $1 increase, Super Stations $7 another increase of $1, Protection plan charges $6 plus a service call of $15 , This is never ending. Most of you think I'm just bashing E*. Well they brought it on. All this including the $17 DVR Duo Fee's happend only since Febuary. Then E* starts Dropping HD channels, So what the Heck, Now I'm paying all this extra and losing stuff in the process.

Before Febuary, I was happier as a pig in SH$%:)

If they would have just let me cancel without the messing around, I might not have been so pissed off when I started this thread.

I'm fairly Happy with my D* service, But I still think E* was cheaper, and D* seems to have Billing issues where credits don't apply when they are supposed to thats a pain. Equipment upgrades are way overpriced. And Don't get me started on the HR's

But will I come back to E*, Sure but right now I just need a break.

My D* Break Down

$63.99 Choice Extra
$10 HD access
$7 DVR
$5 HD Extra
$42 Cinemax,Sports,Showtime,Starz/Encore
$15 4 Rooms of service
$6 Protection Plan
-$10 Loyalty Credit 4 of 12
-$10 Sports pack Credit 1 of 6
Total $128.99

With Dish Network
$64.99 Top 250
$10 HD Platinum
$6 DVR fee
$33 Starz, Showtime,Cinemax
$7 Multi Sports pack
$20 4 rooms, 2 /612, 1/722
$6 Protection plan
Total $146.99

Even without my Credits, E* is only $2 Cheaper .
since packages are being compared here is my first comcast bill breakdown

HD/DVR - $15.95 (for 08/10 - 09/09)
Digital Premier - $84.99 (for 08/10 - 09/09)
Internet - $52.95 (for 08/10 - 09/09)
MLB Package - $139.00, main reason why i left dish network

not to bad and once the promotion ends digital premier goes to $114.99.

Got my final bill on Thursday , Yep $450 for Unreturned equipment.

You have got to be kidding me, My return box only came yesterday( Friday)

So this is what they do to customers with a credit card on file, Charge them for unreturned equipment as soon as they can, and not even give the customer any time to return their equipment before they charge them.

Oh well, they will have a hard time charging a credit card that doesn't exist anymore.

They want to play these games with customers money, then they will pay the price .

I paid my final balance when I canceled.
The return box took 7 days for me to get it.

So where do they get off sending me this bill?

So this is what they do to customers with a credit card on file, Charge them for unreturned equipment as soon as they can, and not even give the customer any time to return their equipment before they charge them.

Oh well, they will have a hard time charging a credit card that doesn't exist anymore.

They want to play these games with customers money, then they will pay the price .

That's just sad. What a screwed up company and what a way to piss off a departing sub who you might have had a chance to get back in the future. WTH are they doing in Colorado?

It took 10 days for me to get the returning boxes. I called them 7 days after canceling because they had not sent the boxes. CSR said that the customer needs to call to get the returning boxes. Yeah right! At least I didn't get charged for not returning the equipment.

I should be receiving my return boxes on Monday. They emailed me tracking numbers for both boxes. But they didn't ship until almost a week after I canceled.

FYI...If you cancel the credit card, they will just take you to claims

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts